• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessment Day Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CardiffDan

So I am using the wrong practice material that uses symbols and phone numbers. Do u know of any better practice material for this phone book test?

To be honest you really don't need to practice. It's as easy as they come this one.
Literally look down the column of the symbols.
Some are double symbols and you should finish it quite quickly. Don't ready anythjng to the left of them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iSquared

So I am using the wrong practice material that uses symbols and phone numbers. Do u know of any better practice material for this phone book test?
Your material is fine. There will be numbers, there will be all kinds of creative company names and there will be symbols. Just focus on the symbols.

People panic over this way too much. They give you clear instructions and you can ask questions before you begin, like ‘are all the companies on this sheet plumbers?’ …

Count the tones, circle the symbols, simple as that.

NorthernTech

I seem to come accros advice on here from time to time telling people to do minimal preparation. "go through what they send you and you will be set". In my honest opinion it's bad advice. The prep material they send you is garbage and in no way prepares you fully. And considering your going up against people who have been practicing like mad, it seems to me prepping as much as humanly possible is the sensible thing to do. You don't want to just scrape through. Your scored, even though you don't get told you exact score.

Each stage is scored, you end the final hurdle, In my case the DMI with a final score, taking in all aspects of the selection process. If you want to maximise your chance of getting out of a talent pool, many wash out, maximise your scores at each stage as best you can. For me that was practice, practice, practice.

I bought all the softwares and practiced myself stupid. Each stage was relatively easy as a result, no surprises which there would have been had I relied on the material they send alone, and would have alomost certainly failed. The phone book test for example, if you followed all the instructions you would run the risk of taking too long and those who practiced on the software would know you just look for the double symbols and fly through it. Those who relied on the issued prep material and nothing else seldom finished I found.
I agree with the majority of that. This forum is full of information about the tests, and spending time to research the individual parts will no doubt help prepare and give someone a really good heads up of what’s to come. I spent hours reading and making notes to practice the stuff that can be practiced. But it’s really annoying when people post up new threads on here about this test and that test, wanting to be spoon fed every little piece of information without investing any time into searching for it themselves. If you want the job enough, don’t be lazy, do the work to find the information that hundreds of people have added over the years! If then you need clarification on something, maybe ask a question based on that. I’ll gladly help (with my limited knowledge) when someone asks but I’m not wiping someone’s backside for them!

Luckyflames

I sat mine in may

1. Yes 2 mins per section

2. Your only looking for double symbols no numbers, ignore the sheet they give you with symbols to look for aswel as they are the only ones there to mark so it's a distraction

3. Count the low tones ignore the high tones is what I remember

Good luck
High tones for me

ajc1988

To be honest you really don't need to practice. It's as easy as they come this one.
Literally look down the column of the symbols.
Some are double symbols and you should finish it quite quickly. Don't ready anythjng to the left of them.
totally agree with this a lot easier than the practice materials online.
Your material is fine. There will be numbers, there will be all kinds of creative company names and there will be symbols. Just focus on the symbols.

People panic over this way too much. They give you clear instructions and you can ask questions before you begin, like ‘are all the companies on this sheet plumbers?’ …

Count the tones, circle the symbols, simple as that.
great advice people on my assessment day asked and then still panicked after

Bobbydavro

I thought I would write this to offer you an insight into the Assessment day.

I went in for the assessment day at Leeds City centre. I got there at 08:30 and went to a waiting are where over the course of 15 mins I met three other candidates who would be on the assessment day with me. We went in at 09:00 where we had an introduction to the day and to the paper tests. My biggest tip for the written tests would be to take a stop watch with you.

Group Bourdon test
This was as you expect, the "dot test" this test was easier in person than the practice tool and the 5 tests were across three pages of a book each had bout 16 lines. I managed between 8-10 lines on all 5 pages.

Phonebook test
This was the second test which we moved straight into, we were given a piece of A3 paper which was in the form of a phonebook, at the end of everything in the book there was shapes. We had to circle all of the double shapes two circles or two triangles for example. However as you would expect there was many different and made to confuse you.
The second part of this test was an audio, we had to listen for High and Low tone beeps. We had to ignore the low tone and only count the high tone and this was effectively the floor that the elevator was on.
The third part was putting both tests together and doing them at the same time.

Memory test
This was where we were given an audio chat of some learning material. After this we were given 5 mins to read through the same material and take notes. After the 5 mins they were taken off us and we were given an answer booklet. We had to wait 5 mins again before starting. We then had a multiple choice answer booklet to answer questions on the material. TIP! if you have a stop watch and you only have seconds remaining randomly select the remaining answers as you are not punished for wrong answers!

At this stage we were sent back to the waiting area to await our results.
Two candidates were taken separately and were informed they had not been successful.

We remaining two were given a 5 minute break before the PC tests.

First test
We had to stare at a monitor with a white screen for 33mins every so often a grey square would pop up and if it turned black we had to press a button.

Second test
We were shown photos for a split second and had to remember items we seen in that picture.

Third test
Joystick test, We had to navigate through a shape not leaving the lines as fast as we could.

We were again given a break after being told our results.

We went back in and had to do a situational judgement test on the PC and write a prep for our MMI.
We then went into our MMI and were told the results straight after.

Any help needed just ask.
One last question about the Group Bourdon test: were each set of dots on their own alongside others OR was each set inside a square box? I am asking this so I can choose my practice material carefully. I have used both so far (in box and out of box). I want to get my eyes used to the right ones. Cheers.

Shunted

One last question about the Group Bourdon test: were each set of dots on their own alongside others OR was each set inside a square box? I am asking this so I can choose my practice material carefully. I have used both so far (in box and out of box). I want to get my eyes used to the right ones. Cheers.
On their own, no boxes

Bobbydavro

People who have done the 2 hand co-ordination test: can you let go of one of the joysticks as long as the other is being used?
i.e. you take the ball up but don't move the left/right joystick? Or do you constantly have to keep both sticks used? Cheers

LCC106

Established Member
If in doubt, ask on the day! Haven’t done this one myself as it’s new since I passed.

CardiffDan

People who have done the 2 hand co-ordination test: can you let go of one of the joysticks as long as the other is being used?
i.e. you take the ball up but don't move the left/right joystick? Or do you constantly have to keep both sticks used? Cheers
need to keep hold of both. If you let go of one whichever it is will go back to the default position.

on the practice go do it so you get a feel for it

Bobbydavro

need to keep hold of both. If you let go of one whichever it is will go back to the default position.

on the practice go do it so you get a feel for it
I understand that you need to keep hold of both but how can you move the ball along a straight section if you are using both joysticks at the same time?

CDB1991

I understand that you need to keep hold of both but how can you move the ball along a straight section if you are using both joysticks at the same time?
If I remember rightly, there are no straight (horizontal or vertical) sections that sit directly above the 'neutral' zone of the joy sticks i.e. their default position.. With how they're positioned, all elements of the shape required a certain element of control of both sticks.. Hope this helps!

iSquared

This question will be answered within a few seconds during the practice. Deconstructing it verbally in a forum isn’t really that helpful for this test.

CardiffDan

This question will be answered within a few seconds during the practice. Deconstructing it verbally in a forum isn’t really that helpful for this test.

this.

I read this forum over and over before, and its really not needed.

You get as long as you want in practice so make the most of it.

There is a picture of the actual test. you move the ball to the start line. then right stick goes up and down. Left stick left and right.

whilst going up, keeping your left stick still will go up. if you move both together itll go diagonal. But just try not to over think it, and make the most of the practice prior to the test.

Attachments

• 64059_600.jpg
    64059_600.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 51

Bobbydavro

It does if you've bought practice software and you're wondering if you are wasting your time...

this.

There is a picture of the actual test. you move the ball to the start line. then right stick goes up and down. Left stick left and right.

whilst going up, keeping your left stick still will go up. if you move both together itll go diagonal. But just try not to over think it, and make the most of the practice prior to the test.
Cheers

this.

Cheers

If I remember rightly, there are no straight (horizontal or vertical) sections that sit directly above the 'neutral' zone of the joy sticks i.e. their default position.. With how they're positioned, all elements of the shape required a certain element of control of both sticks.. Hope this helps!
It does help, thanks.

Twotwo

You'll just end up confusing yourself with all these questions. On the day you get a practice turns so you can make your own judgement and perception of the test.

Seejwalker

My only advice is this, understand what is required of you for each test and that’s it.
It my belief that either you can do the tests or you can’t. It’s all about coordination, either yours is good or bad. Don’t beat yourself up for failing.

I done them in 2018 and got the enhanced standard, that’s because I personally found them to be incredibly simple tests. Others say they struggled, is it becasue I have some higher form of intelligence?
Nope, I just have a better ability for those tests.

TreacleMiller

You get plenty of time to practice, I promise.

The practice course is the same as the test course so do it as much as you want and get a feel for it.

Speed is key, as long as you're not going out constantly.

Jaguar

I found the opposite. From the way it was described in this thread really helped get a good understanding of how the test is and how the ball responds, it was exactly as described on here and was able to get round very quickly and hardly went out at all thanks to prior knowledge of how the ball reacts. I studied everything and got through to enhanced. Others on the day that only used the materials sent out failed on the computer tests.

Shunted

Don’t get too bogged down with the 2 hand coordination test but make sure you are aware of what is expected for the 1 second traffic perception test. This was the worst test on the day and you really have no idea how you have done until they tell you!

NorthernTech

Done it twice, passed it both times, and like others have said you have no idea until you have done it whether you have passed or not.. They give you a heads up about it beforehand, they give you time to practice, that’s all you really need to know. People get way too caught up in the detail, it’s two quite sensitive joysticks that move a ball around a track, keep it in the track as much as possible..

iSquared

I found the opposite. From the way it was described in this thread really helped get a good understanding of how the test is and how the ball responds, it was exactly as described on here and was able to get round very quickly and hardly went out at all thanks to prior knowledge of how the ball reacts. I studied everything and got through to enhanced. Others on the day that only used the materials sent out failed on the computer tests.
Yes but I’m saying that all of that prior knowledge can be achieved in the practice session, hands on. It’s a practical test and once your hands start to move the sticks, all of the questions you had will be answered.

Seejwalker

It’s all personal preference. Some people really benefit from a lot of before hand practice, some don’t need any and do really well, then there’s the remainder who can practice all they want and still come unstuck.
It’s all about coordination, and the ability to concentrate whilst operating at speed. Unfortunately not everyone has that level of coordination, people really put pressure on themselves to pass these test, it’s my genuine belief that you can either do them or you can’t.
You have three people on those assessment days; those that can’t, those that can, and those that can do it really well.
The amount of time you get between knowing you’re going for the assessments and actually going is so narrow, that you can’t possibly build the required coordination to pass.

That’s why I believe you’re best option is to practice to the point that you understand each assessment, but don’t drive yourself crazy over them.

If being a driver is something you really aspire too, then I think it’s worth practicing what’s required of you even before you’ve applied. If you’re sat their waiting for a job advert to pop up. Then I recommend you start developing your coordination, work on your memory and all the other sensory skills that you require to pass the assessments, because as I’ve said above, either you have it or you don’t, so your best chance is to start developing as early as you can.

Twotwo

Yes but I’m saying that all of that prior knowledge can be achieved in the practice session, hands on. It’s a practical test and once your hands start to move the sticks, all of the questions you had will be answered.

I agree, there's only so much one can explain the tests. It's been done in depth here. We've all given hints and tips and explained what it is but all these extra questions will be answered on the day during the practice turns. Its just overthinking it now.

Newapplicant

I thought I would write this to offer you an insight into the Assessment day.

I went in for the assessment day at Leeds City centre. I got there at 08:30 and went to a waiting are where over the course of 15 mins I met three other candidates who would be on the assessment day with me. We went in at 09:00 where we had an introduction to the day and to the paper tests. My biggest tip for the written tests would be to take a stop watch with you.

Group Bourdon test
This was as you expect, the "dot test" this test was easier in person than the practice tool and the 5 tests were across three pages of a book each had bout 16 lines. I managed between 8-10 lines on all 5 pages.

Phonebook test
This was the second test which we moved straight into, we were given a piece of A3 paper which was in the form of a phonebook, at the end of everything in the book there was shapes. We had to circle all of the double shapes two circles or two triangles for example. However as you would expect there was many different and made to confuse you.
The second part of this test was an audio, we had to listen for High and Low tone beeps. We had to ignore the low tone and only count the high tone and this was effectively the floor that the elevator was on.
The third part was putting both tests together and doing them at the same time.

Memory test
This was where we were given an audio chat of some learning material. After this we were given 5 mins to read through the same material and take notes. After the 5 mins they were taken off us and we were given an answer booklet. We had to wait 5 mins again before starting. We then had a multiple choice answer booklet to answer questions on the material. TIP! if you have a stop watch and you only have seconds remaining randomly select the remaining answers as you are not punished for wrong answers!

At this stage we were sent back to the waiting area to await our results.
Two candidates were taken separately and were informed they had not been successful.

We remaining two were given a 5 minute break before the PC tests.

First test
We had to stare at a monitor with a white screen for 33mins every so often a grey square would pop up and if it turned black we had to press a button.

Second test
We were shown photos for a split second and had to remember items we seen in that picture.

Third test
Joystick test, We had to navigate through a shape not leaving the lines as fast as we could.

We were again given a break after being told our results.

We went back in and had to do a situational judgement test on the PC and write a prep for our MMI.
We then went into our MMI and were told the results straight after.

Any help needed just ask.

@nathanreder

Thank you for this amazingly helpful post. I have my psychometrics on Tuesday for Northern and it's safe to say I'm starting to get a little nervous now.

Regarding the group bourdon test I've heard mixed things in terms of the timings, is it 1 or 2 minutes you get per page please?

Any last minute tips or advice ;) :p

Shunted

@nathanreder

Thank you for this amazingly helpful post. I have my psychometrics on Tuesday for Northern and it's safe to say I'm starting to get a little nervous now.

Regarding the group bourdon test I've heard mixed things in terms of the timings, is it 1 or 2 minutes you get per page please?

Any last minute tips or advice ;) :p
You can find everything using the search function

Status
Not open for further replies.