• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti service reductions from Monday 26th July

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish_rail

Established Member
I've always found it odd that I have never and I mean never seen Avanti or Virgin recruit for qualified drivers at Glasgow Central. I'm sure some are promoted internally as trainees, but maybe its time for Avanti to start a recruitment drive.
Similarly, recruitment at Manchester Liverpool and Preston only comes up occasionally, when compared with my own patch on GWR, depots like Exeter , Bristol and Plymouth recruit none stop. Both are First group franchises also.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ceat0908

I've always found it odd that I have never and I mean never seen Avanti or Virgin recruit for qualified drivers at Glasgow Central. I'm sure some are promoted internally as trainees, but maybe its time for Avanti to start a recruitment drive.
Similarly, recruitment at Manchester Liverpool and Preston only comes up occasionally, when compared with my own patch on GWR, depots like Exeter , Bristol and Plymouth recruit none stop. Both are First group franchises also.
Pretty sure they’ve just taken on a few internals for polmadie. But that will be a while for them becoming active.

the last time they took on qualifides for polmadie was back with virgin in mid 2019 I believe. They seem to only take on freight externals. I’m presuming because most of them have route knowledge down the WCML to Preston.

Last edited:

irish_rail

Established Member
Pretty sure they’ve just taken on a few internals for polmadie. But that will be a while for them becoming active.

the last time they took on qualifides for polmadie was back with virgin in mid 2019 I believe. They seem to only take on freight externals. I’m presuming because most of them have route knowledge down the WCML to Preston.
Interesting, they must be taking them on in backroom deals presumably to keep freight guys from being made redundant , as those jobs were not advertised widely.

seagull

Hearing talk that the service next week (i.e from Monday 9th August) is being increased to 5 tph (trains per hour) from Euston (the 5th being another Manchester) with 6 tph to follow shortly after (the second Birmingham).

The "pingdemic" presumably past its peak.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
The Manchester trains were getting really busy, getting close to every seat taken in standard on most of them. Hopefully that is true.

Triumph

All that is happening from Monday is the 5 extra trains that run on Fridays will run daily.
They only run one trip each way for 5 hours in the afternoon (ie From Euston between 1300-1700) The morning & evening Manchester service will still be 1tph.

berneyarms

Established Member
All that is happening from Monday is the 5 extra trains that run on Fridays will run daily.
They only run one trip each way for 5 hours in the afternoon (ie From Euston between 1300-1700) The morning & evening Manchester service will still be 1tph.
There are actually six extra departures in each direction.

They will operate from Manchester at xx:35 between 11:35 and 16:35.
From Euston they operate at 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 15:57, 16:49 and 17:55.

Triumph

There are actually six extra departures in each direction.

They will operate from Manchester at xx:35 between 11:35 and 16:35.
From Euston they operate at 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 15:57, 16:49 and 17:55.
Yes sorry, I was going by the diagrams which are 5 extra.

Peter0124

Established Member
LNER are doing so much better, they have over 90% of pre-covid services with 100% of their anglo-scot services running. I hope Avanti bring more back.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
LNER are doing so much better, they have over 90% of pre-covid services with 100% of their anglo-scot services running. I hope Avanti bring more back.

However, mandatory seat reservations peg them back a notch.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Interesting, they must be taking them on in backroom deals presumably to keep freight guys from being made redundant , as those jobs were not advertised widely.
I’ve seen it on the external site a couple of times in the last few years. AIUI more or less every driver in the central belt tends to apply for it when it comes up so it rarely stays up for long.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hearing talk that the service next week (i.e from Monday 9th August) is being increased to 5 tph (trains per hour) from Euston (the 5th being another Manchester) with 6 tph to follow shortly after (the second Birmingham).

The "pingdemic" presumably past its peak.

Interesting as there are several cancellations today.

38Cto15E

Pre-Covid, I used to travel from Rugby to Blackpool North with Avanti, a great service with first stop after Rugby, Warrington Bank Quay.
A while ago, I thought that I saw that this service was re-starting in September, but it appears not.
Are there any plans for a pre-covid Euston to Blackpool North service via the Trent Valley?

Jimini

Established Member
I’m sure there’s a logical reason for it so apols for asking in advance, but I’m on the hourly AWC train from Euston to (ultimately) Wolverhampton at the moment, and I think (please do correct me if I’m wrong!) that it’s timetabled to take 1h40m or so to Coventry, despite the fact that we were head to head on the DF / DS with the preceding LNWR Northampton service on the reliefs, but we got scuppered by the latter crossing over to the fasts at Bourne End Jcn and now we’re all running late. I get the two track late night railway setup, but not quite sure why the AWC hourly service needs to be further scuppered by letting the stopper out in front of it — should it really need to take this long to do what’s normally a one hour trip when the timetable is already reduced to only an hourly service?

Might sound like a rant as it’s late, but it’s just a genuine question to the forum ;)

I13

I’m sure there’s a logical reason for it so apols for asking in advance, but I’m on the hourly AWC train from Euston to (ultimately) Wolverhampton at the moment, and I think (please do correct me if I’m wrong!) that it’s timetabled to take 1h40m or so to Coventry, despite the fact that we were head to head on the DF / DS with the preceding LNWR Northampton service on the reliefs, but we got scuppered by the latter crossing over to the fasts at Bourne End Jcn and now we’re all running late. I get the two track late night railway setup, but not quite sure why the AWC hourly service needs to be further scuppered by letting the stopper out in front of it — should it really need to take this long to do what’s normally a one hour trip when the timetable is already reduced to only an hourly service?

Might sound like a rant as it’s late, but it’s just a genuine question to the forum ;)
That's the normal late night timetable, the 22:30/23:30 are agonisingly slow even in normal times! During the day with the extra stops, London to Coventry is roughly in the 1h8 region, so just under ten minutes longer than usual.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Assuming you are on the 2230 from Euston, you are not delayed. Well, you are a little bit (5 minutes), but you will arrive Rugby early and wait time there.

The LNWR service was a little late, which is why you saw it. The whole service is booked over the slow lines normally, and your train is booked to catch up the Northampton at Bourne End.

Had you not waited for it, you would be waiting time at MK, and delaying the Northampton which would be then be right behind you.

Last edited:

Jimini

Established Member
Assuming you are on the 2230 from Euston, you are not delayed. Well, you are a little bit (5 minutes), but you will arrive Rugby early and wait time there.

The LNWR service was a little late, which is why you saw it. The whole service is booked over the slow lines normally, and your train is booked to catch up the Northampton at Bourne End.

Had you not waited for it, you would be waiting time at MK, and delaying the Northampton which would b6 then be right behind yo7.

I bow to your superior knowledge as always, kind sir, thanks for the explanation :D Just feel a bit hard done by having a 100 min schlep up to the in-laws (because the ultimate destination is painful enough :D).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I bow to your superior knowledge as always, kind sir, thanks for the explanation :D Just feel a bit hard done by having a 100 min schlep up to the in-laws (because the ultimate destination is painful enough :D).

I fully understand your pain, having made many similar journeys in the past! But think of it as the railway’s contribution to reducing the amount of time at the in laws.

I hope the very latest news that you are going old road via Weedon, and have 25 green signals in front of you, helps cheer you up!

Jimini

Established Member
I fully understand your pain, having made many similar journeys in the past! But think of it as the railway’s contribution to reducing the amount of time at the in laws.

I hope the very latest news that you are going old road via Weedon, and have 25 green signals in front of you, helps cheer you up!

Smashing news — thanks! :lol:

jfollows

Established Member
Two trains an hour London-Manchester as of today, Monday 16 August, apologies if I'm just behind the game and it's been mentioned already. xx.20 via Stoke and xx.40(ish) via Wilmslow.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Two trains an hour London-Manchester as of today, Monday 16 August, apologies if I'm just behind the game and it's been mentioned already. xx.20 via Stoke and xx.40(ish) via Wilmslow.
Two per hour from or via Birmingham as well from today

seagull

Yes it's back to the timetable that was in force up to a month ago, 6 tph from Euston.

AMD

Ohh, forgot to mention they also have 94% of their pre-covid passengers back according to this tweet https://twitter.com/DavidHorne/status/1423762944106631180
That's 94% of services run, at the moment in terms of passenger numbers their highest day is Sunday, with LNER achieving 88% of passenger count vs pre Covid for the sunday a week ago. It has also been noted that LNER has historically had a high level of leisure travel vs business/ commuter travel so they are one of the strongest operators in terms of recovery - to try and bring this into topic with reference to Avanti, west coast has a larger proportion of business travel so will take longer to recover. I don't have the exact numbers but i'm lead to believe that their best day is into the 70+% area, again at the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.