• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti website

Status
Not open for further replies.

mde

Following on from the previous thread, the Avanti website has now launched: https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk

First impressions? It's nearly the same as the Virgin site (different UI, of course); but, it does seem to have some useful accessibility features which might be helpful to folks with different access needs (e.g. the built in screen reader, colour changer, ruler and such).

I'm sure there's probably some Easter eggs for us to find!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mde

It's the same as SWR, the logo that comes up in the browser tab is the SWR logo.
Can't say I had noticed that (I use Safari which doesn't display the icons in the tabs); however, they are both powered by Sitecore (as was Virgin), so there's probably a fair amount of "portability", much like the Abellio TOCs who all use a similar framework. :D

Mountain Man

They may as well make it as easy as possible for themselves. No point being too clever on day 1.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
It's definately a rather attractive site.

The careers page doesn't go live until Tuesday (10th) so I'll be checking it for any future vacancies coming up.

The Virgin site is still online but I've noticed a couple of the sections have been removed already and I reckon the whole site will probably come down completely in the coming days.

I presume the Twitter and Facebook accounts for Virgin will just be left where they are but no longer updated.

CJ

omnicity4659

It's definately a rather attractive site.

The careers page doesn't go live until Tuesday (10th) so I'll be checking it for any future vacancies coming up.

The Virgin site is still online but I've noticed a couple of the sections have been removed already and I reckon the whole site will probably come down completely in the coming days.

I presume the Twitter and Facebook accounts for Virgin will just be left where they are but no longer updated.

CJ
Careers page is still up, just been rebranded. Look in your search history as it's not letting me link directly.

blue87

Anyone else having trouble accessing the Avanti Website at present, incredibly slow to load or not loading at all for me.

Kendalian

Not loading for me either at the moment on laptop. Wouldn't load on Iphone either an hour ago.

Hope it's not a sign of things to come :rolleyes:

Welshman

Established Member
Can you still select and change your seats on the Avanti site like you can on Virgin and LNER?

Unfortunately they do not seem to have retained that facility.
A great pity as I found it very useful on the old Virgin site.
And along with others above, I'm also having difficulty in loading the new site.

Howardh

Established Member
Anyone else having trouble accessing the Avanti Website at present, incredibly slow to load or not loading at all for me.
Not loading at all (great start...) however when I went to national train enquiries and put in a journey it did direct me to Avanti's payment page.

lfc84

And along with others above, I'm also having difficulty in loading the new site.
Makes a split ticket a tiny bit more inconvenient

Why wouldn't it be retained, after all the same management are in place. Not a good move at all.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Impressions of First? Not very good operator
First impressions of the website? Really slow
Can we keep this thread on topic for the Avanti website please; any impressions of Avanti as a train operator can go in a different thread please, thanks :)
Can you still select and change your seats on the Avanti site like you can on Virgin and LNER?
There is no seat selector on the Avanti site.
Makes a split ticket a tiny bit more inconvenient
Trainsplit has a seat selector now.

I can't see Avanti implementing a seat selector on their website willingly; FirstGroup isn't a fan of seat selectors. That said, if enough people moan at them, they may relent!

Edit: someone has made a dedicated thread for this matter at https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/why-has-avanti-west-coast-got-rid-of-the-seat-selector.196410/

Last edited:

Agent_Squash

Established Member
There’s been no memes posted by the WC Twitter Team in 12 hours. It’s a massive change this new franchise!

RealTrains07

Established Member
Its always interesting how TOCs approach what they do with social media and websites of the previous operator.

Avanti website seems to be down for me at the moment? Anyone else struggling to get on the website?

JamesT

Established Member
It works. Just incredibly slow.

I expect everyone is hammering the site being the first day and it will settle down later. Or if the demand remains sustained they’ll beef up the web servers.

Trackman

Established Member
just tried loading it again, gives South Western Railways as the title.
Not a good start this!

Howardh

Established Member
Frankly it's dreadful; been trying to get a fare for January 15th and can't even get it to accept "Manchester" or "London Euston".

Tell you what, I bet there's some bloke somewhere laughing his head off this morning!!

Mathew S

Established Member
There’s been no memes posted by the WC Twitter Team in 12 hours. It’s a massive change this new franchise!
That was very much part of the Virgin 'tone of voice' though wasn't it. Part of the fine line Avanti are trying to walk of saying, "nothing's changing, we're still the same people doing the same things," at the same time as, "everything's changing for the better."

Howardh

Established Member
At least they replied to my twitter enquiry that it wouldn't accept "Manchester" within a minute - their response..."try later". Maybe after I've booked a flight instead?

You would have thought they’d have tested key things - such as Website stress testing & getting any apps easily retrievable prior to launch day.

Plus the withdrawal of certain fares and the seat selector do not bode well when trying to present a facade of professionalism...

Status
Not open for further replies.