• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast cancellations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
At this rate, is it probable that the “December Recast” will be postponed to May or December 2023, with the December timetable having the 4tph as default instead?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
Quite right to be honest with passengers about where the causes lie though, isn't it?

By not acknowledging or taking any responsibility for the blatant resourcing issues they and the DfT have allowed to happen?

How can you take industrial action on your day off?

Established Member
Quite right to be honest with passengers about where the causes lie though, isn't it?

Ah, so you you must have some evidence of “unofficial action” to state that this is indeed the cause of what’s happening?

Or are you just parroting what Grant Shapps has told you, with no evidence whatsoever?!

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
At this rate, is it probable that the “December Recast” will be postponed to May or December 2023, with the December timetable having the 4tph as default instead?
No, the new base will stay the same, they will just cancel as required as they do now.

Mike Redding

All Avanti services on Saturday cancelled.

Seems to be the only page on the website to explicitly say that though, so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220809-140321_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20220809-140321_Chrome.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 153

NI 271

It is, which makes it quite abhorrent that they're doing the opposite.

Not working your day off is NOT industrial action. This isn't even debatable, your days off are days off unless YOU, and you alone, choose to work them. This is a fact, and you don't get opinions on facts, they exist and that is that.

It's notable that virtually every single quote tweet responding to Avanti's tweet repeating this lie was scathing of them, notable also that because they knew what was coming, they turned off replies for the tweet itself. It really, really hasn't gone well for them, but then it wouldn't, most people aren't foolish enough to fall for the blatant falsehood.

Failed Unit

Established Member
That's an ASLEF strike across several operators, not just Avanti.
It is but other operators involved in the strike are running some kind of service (although it is extremely limited) - If you look at LNER - does anyone know who is driving them? Non union members or managers? If it is either of those 2 I can understand why Avanti can run anything as considering what Avanti is posting about their staff, why would they work (unless contractually bound)

Howardh

Established Member
This is my itinery for Thursday; How confident can I been that the Avanti train timetabled will run? All I've seen from manchester to London is "Sold Out" AKA "Don't even bother" but as this is on the Trainline timetable, is it secure?

Attachments

• Screenshot (22).png
    Screenshot (22).png
    45.7 KB · Views: 98

duncanp

Established Member
It'd not be a terrible idea to declassify Standard Premium at the moment, perhaps keeping 2 coaches of "proper" 1st, at least on 11 cars. Though it de-facto is if my experience is anything to go by - I've now used it 3 times and been charged for it once - if the train is overcrowded or very late they just don't bother, and there's no facility to pay for an SP upgrade online or at a booking office (only to buy a dedicated Advance), it can only be paid on board.

I have just returned from a trip to London (from Birmingham) in Standard Premium.

My ticket was not checked on the way down, and all the barriers were open at both New Street and Euston.

There was the usual ticket check on boarding at Euston on the return, and the barriers were in operation at New Street.

If Standard class is full (ie. no seats free), then Standard Premium should be declassified, and if Standard Premium is full, then First Class should be declassified.

If this is going to be an ongoing situation with nearly every train when the reduced timetable comes into effect, then perhaps Avanti should stop selling First Class and/or Standard Premium tickets.

They should aslo show some flexibility on which trains holders of Advance tickets can travel, as well as making ticket acceptance arrangements with other operators where alternative services are available (eg. LNW from Euston to Birmingham and Crewe).

You would also hope that these alternative operators would use all the rolling stock available (eg. LNW running 12 car trains to Euston as much as is possible, not just during peak hours)

Established Member
This is my itinery for Thursday; How confident can I been that the Avanti train timetabled will run? All I've seen from manchester to London is "Sold Out" AKA "Don't even bother" but as this is on the Trainline timetable, is it secure?

No it is not secure, Avanti have not yet published there timetable for next week, lead to believe will later today

Chrism20

Established Member
Didn't think of that, but yes, they should absolutely drop it to 1tph (all stations north of Preston) and drop Edinburgh.

The problem with dropping Edinburgh is Transpennine are also cancelling several services most days and I’d imagine that’s why it’s not been canned.

One bad service is covering for another bad service.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
The problem with dropping Edinburgh is Transpennine are also cancelling several services most days and I’d imagine that’s why it’s not been canned.

One bad service is covering for another bad service.
They’re both First TOC’s - is there any reason why one can’t just go to Edinburgh and one can’t just go to Glasgow?

Inconvenient? Perhaps - but it would help to reallocate resources and prioritise within each company to ensure a useable service to both cities.

Reservations screwed up on the 1438 from Lancaster today probably because previous Glasgow trains were cancelled so had to grab what i could with a big case, bearbale but uncomfortable to say the least.

Leisurefirst

So no Avanti WC this Sat 13/8/22 confirmed.
I had to travel that day Glasgow to London as I have nowhere to stay in Glasgow.
Have concert previous evening so can't travel then (could've made Sleeper in the seats at a push but would've been horrible straight from gig and then hotel to collect luggage) and something else booked for Saturday morning.
As a contingency I bought a Lumo ticket from Edinburgh which with a ticket from Glasgow cost over twice the amount I paid for my Avanti advance.
Can anybody clarify please can I claim the alternative Scotrail & Lumo travel back from Avanti rather than their Advance fare? (Which I bought from LNER just to confuse things.)
They don't advertise this anywhere (of course) but I know SWR did on their website and I did successfully claim back coach fares from Scotrail when their services were cancelled due to strikes in June.

Carlisle

Established Member
They’re both First TOC’s - is there any reason why one can’t just go to Edinburgh and one can’t just go to Glasgow?

Inconvenient? Perhaps - but it would help to reallocate resources and prioritise within each company to ensure a useable service to both cities.
The Euston -Edinburgh services also act as a useful diversionary route when the ECML is blocked with various problems

dk1

Veteran Member
It is but other operators involved in the strike are running some kind of service (although it is extremely limited) - If you look at LNER - does anyone know who is driving them? Non union members or managers? If it is either of those 2 I can understand why Avanti can run anything as considering what Avanti is posting about their staff, why would they work (unless contractually bound)
I am led to believe that there are some TOCs where agreements are such that managers are not permitted to work trains.

Established Member
LNER utilise Driver Managers to operate their services when Aslef drivers are on strike, hence such a minimal service.

And now the attached letter has been sent to Grant Shapps, signed by Andy Burnham, Sadiq Khan, deploring the situation at Avanti and asking for the contract to be withdrawn from Avanti if suitable assurances are not given.

Attachments

• E82BDAB2-5293-4840-9776-BCDE32B832FC.jpeg
    E82BDAB2-5293-4840-9776-BCDE32B832FC.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 8BC8CE9B-641E-4406-959A-75EC93DDE6F7.jpeg
    8BC8CE9B-641E-4406-959A-75EC93DDE6F7.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Moonshot

Established Member
LNER utilise Driver Managers to operate their services when Aslef drivers are on strike, hence such a minimal service.

And now the attached letter has been sent to Grant Shapps, signed by Andy Burnham, Sadiq Khan, deploring the situation at Avanti and asking for the contract to be withdrawn from Avanti if suitable assurances are not given.
I wonder what the reaction would be if Avanti gave them a date of August 2023 for a resumption of full service ?

WatcherZero

Established Member
If the number of staff willing to work weekends has dropped from 300 to 50, then the logical solution is just to replace them with full time staff and end rest day working. You cant build a timetable around giving staff the opportunity to earn the extra pay if not enough of them are willing to take up the entitlement.

Nova1

If the number of staff willing to work weekends has dropped from 300 to 50, then the logical solution is just to replace them with full time staff and end rest day working. You cant build a timetable around giving staff the opportunity to earn the extra pay if not enough of them are willing to take up the entitlement.
Good thing you’re not running the company, you’d end up with next to no drivers at all

Moonshot

Established Member
In all fairness, Avant have just done that by building a timetable around available staff without recourse to those staff working rest days. This is what the smart opinion on this forum was actually stating they should be doing

WatcherZero

Established Member
Good thing you’re not running the company, you’d end up with next to no drivers at all

So your saying no one would work without guaranteed overtime hours? How does every other industry cope?
The only other industries which have guaranteed overtime the staff are contractually obliged to take up a minimum number of hours per month, and this is usually seen as a bad thing not a good thing forcing staff to work weekends or late nights even if they dont want too.

TOCS are going out of the way to offer a perk but the lack of take up by staff means the perk is hurting passengers. We are faced with use it or lose it and just accept fixed working hours per week.

Status
Not open for further replies.