• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast catering

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp4712

Just an idle question, but does anyone happen to know when/if Avanti are planning to return to pre-pandemic catering? I’ve started to do work trips to London again and in First Class, a soggy bacon roll is a poor substitute for the full English…

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Similar thread here...

Journeyman

Established Member
Short of inside information that employees are probably not allowed to discuss, I doubt anyone can answer that.

jp4712

Understood Meyrick! That said, a nice Avanti Train Manager told me just now - unprompted - that the catering offer improves with effect from 13 September. As the information was an unsolicited remark to a member of the public I s'pose it's okay to repeat it here.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I feel it would be good if Avanti could post the new First Class offer on their website a few weeks in advance of it being introduced, given that people are encouraged to book in advance, particularly now First Class capacity has been reduced.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I feel it would be good if Avanti could post the new First Class offer on their website a few weeks in advance of it being introduced, given that people are encouraged to book in advance, particularly now First Class capacity has been reduced.
Agreed. At the moment, first class feels like a very poor deal: “pay far more than you used to for a much worse catering offer than you’re used to! Or you can pay what you used to but just get the seat!”

Advertising an upgrade in catering would certainly entice people to consider booking back into first, although I think raising the price to the extent they have demands for a remarkably better offering than before.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Agreed. At the moment, first class feels like a very poor deal: “pay far more than you used to for a much worse catering offer than you’re used to! Or you can pay what you used to but just get the seat!”

The Weekend First prices had been as they were for a while so were probably due an increase. If they upped them by say £5 (they do seem to go up infrequently in £5 steps to keep the fares simple) then that would easily cover the cost of a rubbishy snack box and a couple of cups of tea.

It's hard to see what the end game is with Advances, unfortunately, because you can't know the quota of each.

Unless you're arguing Seatfrog, but Seatfrog was basically price-dumping unsold seats and should not really be considered, as if they were marketing and yield managing properly there'd be no need for it at all. It's like when airline status holders whine about reduced free upgrades - they are nice but they are not a base entitlement.

Ryans

1547 Blackpool - Preston today, no sign of any staff in first class for the journey, not even a cup of tea! Is this normal? Doesn’t seem right for the price of the service compared to standard (nearly double when I booked).

p.d87

Voyager shops reopened Monday just gone. As for the 1st class offering, It will be soon.... it may or may not have already been answered up thread.

td97

Established Member
As for the 1st class offering, It will be soon.... it may or may not have already been answered up thread.
Avanti on twitter have mentioned 13 September. Is this correct or is it possible that it could be sooner?

Blinkbonny

1547 Blackpool - Preston today, no sign of any staff in first class for the journey, not even a cup of tea! Is this normal? Doesn’t seem right for the price of the service compared to standard (nearly double when I booked).
Blackpool to Preston? What's that about 20 minutes?

I agree, it would be nice to get a cup of tea, but that's First Class - you get what you get, and are expected to be grateful.

Trackman

Established Member
Avanti on twitter have mentioned 13 September. Is this correct or is it possible that it could be sooner?
It was the approx date I was given a while back, supposedly for the new fancy menu.. we'll have to wait and see.

I agree, it would be nice to get a cup of tea, but that's First Class - you get what you get, and are expected to be grateful.
I wonder if you went to the shop with a first class ticket would they serve you a cup of tea gratis?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Given that the difference between Standard Premium and First Class is now the catering offer and nothing else of substance, I wonder how the "complimentary" line would look in Court?

Journeyman

Established Member
Given that the difference between Standard Premium and First Class is now the catering offer and nothing else of substance, I wonder how the "complimentary" line would look in Court?
Hmm, hard to tell. I think it's been very carefully presented as "free" so you can't put a monetary value on it if it's not provided, which is of course extremely cheeky. In VTEC days I specifically booked a seat in first class because I knew I'd be knackered on the journey and the at-seat service would have been extremely useful, so I was willing to pay a high price for it on that particular occasion. The train ended up with no first class catering, and it took me ages to get an extremely mean-spirited £5 voucher out of them. If I'd know ahead of time there would be no catering at seat, I'd have gone in standard. I also had an advance ticket, so deciding to travel on a different train wasn't an option. It's very annoying that the obvious reason why people want to travel in First is not considered important if that particular service isn't delivered, and I agree, it's an even bigger deal now you can get the seat alone for less money than First.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hmm, hard to tell. I think it's been very carefully presented as "free" so you can't put a monetary value on it if it's not provided, which is of course extremely cheeky.

I think you could just about get away with the cost of First Class vs Standard being justified by the higher quality "hard product" - more space, better seats etc. But if you have the same "hard product" being sold as two different classes, and the only difference between the cheaper and more expensive one being the "soft product" i.e. the freebies, then I think that would be an extremely difficult legal argument, and one that Avanti would do well to settle out of Court rather than risk precedent being set.

Clearly if the differential service isn't provided the First Class fare should be refunded down to the equivalent Standard Premium fare.

Journeyman

Established Member
I think you could just about get away with the cost of First Class vs Standard being justified by the higher quality "hard product" - more space, better seats etc. But if you have the same "hard product" being sold as two different classes, and the only difference between the cheaper and more expensive one being the "soft product" i.e. the freebies, then I think that would be an extremely difficult legal argument, and one that Avanti would do well to settle out of Court rather than risk precedent being set.

Clearly if the differential service isn't provided the First Class fare should be refunded down to the equivalent Standard Premium fare.
Yeah, that's true. The difference from Standard to First is quite big even if the catering isn't provided, but yes, not providing the catering effectively declassifies First back down to the same level as Standard Premium. It'll be an even bigger issue if the revamped First Class catering offer is sufficiently good enough to encourage people to fork out quite a lot of money for it (let's be honest, it's a bit lousy at the moment).

I hope someone has thought of that.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yeah, that's true. The difference from Standard to First is quite big even if the catering isn't provided, but yes, not providing the catering effectively declassifies First back down to the same level as Standard Premium. It'll be an even bigger issue if the revamped First Class catering offer is sufficiently good enough to encourage people to fork out quite a lot of money for it (let's be honest, it's a bit lousy at the moment).

I hope someone has thought of that.

I'd say shock would be more appropriate !!!

Is it going to be BA Club Standard (Onboard and in the Lounges) ?

p.d87

This is the date we've been told. Wasn't sure it was in public domain. It won't be before

CHESHIRECAT

it's going to be champagne on boarding (according to a rather out Train Manager!) since found out it's prosecco 8-)

Dine on demand....and the return of spirits (more choice)

7 day a week offering including Voyagers effective 13 September

so in theory Preston to Warrington 2 g'n't and a smashed avocado on toast please

one can only imagine the wastage...

with no Weekend first they must be anticipating good sales of full First tickets! ; there's no 1st advance showing Saturdays in September after the launch date Euston/Manchester unless they haven't been loaded

Butts

Veteran Member
it's going to be champagne on boarding (according to a rather out Train Manager!) since found out it's prosecco 8-)

Dine on demand....and the return of spirits (more choice)

7 day a week offering including Voyagers effective 13 September

so in theory Preston to Warrington 2 g'n't and a smashed avocado on toast please

one can only imagine the wastage...

with no Weekend first they must be anticipating good sales of full First tickets! ; there's no 1st advance showing Saturdays in September after the launch date Euston/Manchester unless they haven't been loaded

There will be no wastage of spirits if I'm onboard - Are we talking Malt Whisky now and hopefully "Drink on Demand" as well as Dine on Demand.

jfollows

Established Member
They're currently saying (https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/travel-information/onboard/first-class/first-class-menus)
We’re just putting the finishing touches to a brand-new delicious menu, full of local flavour and exciting options, which is due to launch very soon. Until then, be sure to try our tasty selection of hot and cold options to stay suitably refreshed during your journey.
which looks promising.
My view is that they made a major blunder introducing "Standard Premium" before improving the First Class service, but so be it.
I'm planning on a First Class All-line Rover in October as a treat to myself for being too old, specifically I'm 60 on 1/10, and I'll go and visit friends the other side of London. So I'm keeping an eye on what comes out from Avanti next week.

NoOnesFool

I wonder how they will implement the prosecco on boarding? If I boarded at Sandwell & Dudley, and was travelling to Birmingham New Street, would I be offered the welcome tipple? I reckon there will be an increased staff presence per customer. All of the displaced staff from the Standard Premium coaches will need to be put to use elsewhere. I think this could mark a raising of the bar in terms of First Class service standards.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoOnesFool

The new menus are out! They have a smaller range to choose from and some people will be disappointed that there are no sausage baps but some highlights from the menu are: Traditional Breakfast, Superfood Bowl, Gnocci, Tomato Tartine, Afternoon Tea & A Salted Caramel Tart.

Fruit Punch Tea
Tea
Coffee
Worker Bee Hot Chocolate
Wenlock Spring Water
Pepsi
Ginger Ale
Beck's Beer
Raspberry Lemonade Kombucha
Wine
Camden Ale
Prosecco
Rhubarb Liquer

It seems* that no snacks will be offered to passengers travelling between London Euston and Milton Keynes Central as and I quote "you will only have time for a drink".

Last edited by a moderator:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
The new menus are out! They have a smaller range to choose from and some people will be disappointed that there are no sausage baps but some highlights from the menu are: Traditional Breakfast, Superfood Bowl, Gnocci, Tomato Tartine, Afternoon Tea & A Salted Caramel Tart.
Whilst I'm sure First Class passengers will welcome the return of a full cooked breakfast, I personally don't think the all day offer would persuade me to pay the extra to upgrade to First Class.

Is this the end of evening meals along the West Coast?

Trackman

Established Member
Whilst I'm sure First Class passengers will welcome the return of a full cooked breakfast, I personally don't think the all day offer would persuade me to pay the extra to upgrade to First Class.

Is this the end of evening meals along the West Coast?

I've seen it, rest of the day looks terrible. I thought they were going to make an effort.
TBH, Cheese and crackers (rebranded) looks like my best option on my trips although now I'm in SP or Standard.
Anyway spirits are back if you like that sort of thing. Fancy teas, but no fancy coffee.
All a bit poor compared to the menus we used to have not that long ago.
Uglies don't get a mention either :(
I don't we'll ever see the likes of the curry club ever again.

Breakfast
The Great British Breakfast
Smoked British bacon, pork and parsley sausage, and Lancashire black pudding served with portobello mushroom, roasted tomato, potato scone and a free range fried egg.
Classic Bacon Sandwich
Thick cut smoked British bacon on baked granary bread served with a dollop of ketchup that’s been made especially for Avanti West Coast.
Vegan Breakfast
Lightly spiced corn fritter served with smashed avocado, roasted tomato and portobello mushroom.
Superfood Breakfast Bowl
A mix of fresh and dried fruits topped with a sprinkle of coconut, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, mint, and maple syrup.
Smoked Salmon & Scrambled Eggs
Smoked Scottish salmon served with free range scrambled eggs and a wedge of lemon.
Fresh Fruit Plate
Melon, papaya, pineapple and strawberry served with a drizzle of lemon verbena syrup.
VGVG
VeganVegetarian
VGV If you’re making a short trip with us, we may not have the full menu available. If you’re travelling between London and Milton Keynes, then you’ll only have time for a drink. All items on the menu are subject to availability.
View allergens and ingredients online here
If you need assistance viewing our allergens and ingredients menu, then please speak with a member of the onboard team who’ll be happy to help.

V
VGVVVVG
Rest of the day
Avocado and Roasted Tomato Tartine
Smashed avocado and slow roasted tomato salsa layered on toasted granary bloomer bread.
The Gnocchi
Potato gnocchi cooked in a white wine and wild garlic cream with pea puree.
(You can add smoked salmon to this dish if you like.)
Superfood Nourish Bowl
A mix of greens including broccoli, peas, edamame beans and cucumber, served with chickpeas and a Dijon mustard vinaigrette.
(Ask our team for choice of toppings.)
Cheese & Crackers
Wedges of Lancashire, Shropshire Blue and Vintage Cheddar cheese served with a selection of crackers and authentic West Coast apple chutney.
(Prefer gluten-free crackers? Just ask.)
Afternoon Tea
A classic selection of sandwiches and warm scones served with chuckleberry jam and clotted cream.
Fancy something sweet?
Jammie Dodger Loaf Cake
A red velvet sponge topped with buttercream frosting and a mini Jammie Dodger biscuit.
Salted Caramel Tart
A crisp sweet pastry case filled with rich salted caramel and topped with chocolate ganache.

Hot drinks
Freshly Brewed CoffeeDecaf CoffeeEnglish Breakfast TeaEarl Grey TeaFruit Punch TeaGreen TeaWorker Bee Hot Chocolate
Soft drinks
Cold Pressed Orange or Apple Juice Wenlock Spring Still or Sparkling WaterPepsi MaxFever Tree LemonadeFever Tree Tonic or Light Tonic Fever Tree Mediterranean TonicFever Tree Ginger AleTwo Birds Vitamin Enriched CoffeeTwo Birds Vitamin Enriched TeaRemedy Raspberry Lemonade KombuchaFitch Cold Brew CoffeeFitch Cold Brew TeaThe Pickle House Spiced Tomato Mix

Alcoholic drinks
Forest GinManchester Gin
Raspberry Infused with Sicilian Lemon Tonic
The Lakes VodkaEast London Liquor Company
Vodka & Rhubarb
Famous Grouse WhiskyMartell BrandyRed WineWhite WineProseccoBecks LagerCaple Road CiderCamden Ale

Vespa

Established Member
I've seen it, rest of the day looks terrible. I thought they were going to make an effort.
TBH, Cheese and crackers (rebranded) looks like my best option on my trips although now I'm in SP or Standard.
Anyway spirits are back if you like that sort of thing. Fancy teas, but no fancy coffee.
All a bit poor compared to the menus we used to have not that long ago.
Uglies don't get a mention either :(
I don't we'll ever see the likes of the curry club ever again.

If they bugger up the evening meal offerings, I may as well decide that First Class is not worth the money and revert to Standard or look for transport alternatives to London in the future.

By scrimping on First Class offerings while charging a high price for a First Class ticket is penny wise pound foolish, they would lose a lot of customers and find it hard to regain their trust long term, Covid was understandable but post Covid it doesn't wash......

Status
Not open for further replies.