• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast catering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Let's hope that's what you actually get and not just a photo like you get in Cafes and the actual meal served bears no resemblance in style or substance.
Any café that actually prints tacky pictures of their food and displays it in menus or on posters very rarely produces edible food anyway. Very greasy spoon (ugh)

Last edited by a moderator:

Trackman

Established Member
If they really meant to provide clarification then they should have said so explicitly - as it stands I don't know whether or not breakfast will be served on the 11:11 from Wilmslow which leaves Manchester before 11am. I agree that it would be silly if it weren't, but clarification means exactly that, and the update still presents a doubt to me and doubtless others.
I’m currently on the 10:58 Haymarket to Euston and it’s the rest of day menu, I’m fuming.
How did you get on at Wilmslow?

jfollows

Established Member
I’m currently on the 10:58 Haymarket to Euston and it’s the rest of day menu, I’m fuming.
How did you get on at Wilmslow?
Not travelled yet, I'll report in due course, I plan on a First Class All-line Rover in a couple of weeks.

Trackman

Established Member
Any café that actually prints tacky pictures of their food and displays it in menus or on posters very rarely produces edible food anyway. Very greasy spoon (ugh)
Interestingly that's very much a UK thing, and in some other countries it's the norm in very posh establishments.
Is this not an ASA thing?
I knew someone who worked for a major frozen pizza company and had knock-backs from the ASA or whoever as the cooked product (with of course *serving suggestion) that didn't look like the real deal. Or could this be something to do with companies who sell in bulk?
Thinking about it when you see Pizza/Burger/Kebab/Curry flyers you know 100% it's no way going to look like that, it's accepted.

Back on subject catering wise, I asked the chef today if they had any 'Uglies' the reply was "I might have some somewhere" of course, I never saw them.

Not travelled yet, I'll report in due course, I plan on a First Class All-line Rover in a couple of weeks.
Cheers.
I wouldn't hold your breath, I'll be on the case Monday to find out the cut off times etc..

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Is this not an ASA thing?
I knew someone who worked for a major frozen pizza company and had knock-backs from the ASA or whoever as the cooked product (with of course *serving suggestion) that didn't look like the real deal. Or could this be something to do with companies who sell in bulk?
Thinking about it when you see Pizza/Burger/Kebab/Curry flyers you know 100% it's no way going to look like that, it's accepted.

Back on subject catering wise, I asked the chef today if they had any 'Uglies' the reply was "I might have some somewhere" of course, I never saw them.

Cheers.
I wouldn't hold your breath, I'll be on the case Monday to find out the cut off times etc..

No uglies that is outrageous.

Has the service gone to virtually "on demand" with the lack of clientele and are the Lounges much quieter ?

Trackman

Established Member

Has the service gone to virtually "on demand" with the lack of clientele and are the Lounges much quieter ?
I don't even like chocolate and so does the other half- but we are partial to 'Uglies'.
Wasn't on demand, was just putting the question out to the chef if they had done away with them.
Also cries from the catering staff they were under-staffed, more like First was absolutely rammed and couldnt cope.

jp4712

I can confirm that Uglies are still on offer. And the gnocchi is excellent.

Vespa

Established Member
Full English breakfast is served, Liverpool First Class lounge is open :)

Quiet train, First Class ok not too crowded same for standard class, zero occupancy in Standard Premium...
I would assume there is no interest in SP.

20210927_084233.jpg

Attachments

• 20210927_090713.jpg
    20210927_090713.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 53

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So little interest that they have to reduce 1st down to one vehicle on some trains.

I suspect there is low interest in upgrading if Standard is nearly empty.

Vespa

Established Member
Maybe, at present 2 carriages as far as I can see are first class, the rest is standard premium, time will tell if 12 months down the line if Standard Premium is viable or a non starter.

Trackman

Established Member
@jfollows update on the breakfast situation from Avanti:
..breakfast is served on services that depart their origin station before 0959.. .. If the Edinburgh service has gone past Preston after 0959, then the All day Menu will be served as that is where it will change... ..
Picc to Euston: (answers your original question)
..There is no cut off, whatever time the service leaves Manchester Piccadilly will be the Menu offered..
---
I can confirm that Uglies are still on offer. And the gnocchi is excellent.
I didn't receive any complementary ones :(
Anyway good to hear they are still with us!

Vespa

Established Member
Theres table service at Euston lounge with a selection food and drinks on offer.

I do however take issue with the fact arrivals officially can't use the lounge only departures, if you had a long day it would be nice to be able to sit down and chill a bit before going to your hotel as check in time is usually in the afternoon.

If you have paid for a first class you should be able to avail yoursself that service on arrival and departure regardless of direction.

Butts

Veteran Member
Theres table service at Euston lounge with a selection food and drinks on offer.

I do however take issue with the fact arrivals officially can't use the lounge only departures, if you had a long day it would be nice to be able to sit down and chill a bit before going to your hotel as check in time is usually in the afternoon.

If you have paid for a first class you should be able to avail yoursself that service on arrival and departure regardless of direction.

You used to be able to use Lounges after travel in Virgin Days - have Avanti never allowed it ?

Djgr

Established Member
You used to be able to use Lounges after travel in Virgin Days - have Avanti never allowed it ?
This is what it says on their website

"You’ll also get access to our First Class Lounges where you can find a range of snacks and refreshments to enjoy before or after you travel"

Of course TOCs are scarcely known for consistent communication.

Vespa

Established Member
This is what it says on their website

"You’ll also get access to our First Class Lounges where you can find a range of snacks and refreshments to enjoy before or after you travel"

Of course TOCs are scarcely known for consistent communication.
I had bit of bother trying to get in on arrival in Euston, the door staff and I had a robust discussion about it as "I paid a first class price I should get a first class service" eventually I got in just for a "cup of coffee" before I can go and check in my hotel.

Liverpool First Class lounge staff were great, nothing was too much trouble and the staff on the train were great too, it's the railway company I have a problem with.

I'm going off the idea of Avanti first class travel, they jack up the price, add old first class price to standard premium, then restrict use of the first class lounge, I may as well revert to Standard class at least I won't be dissapointed or go with LNWR.

*I can't find a text stating

Only this as per the attachment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-09-28-09-21-30.png
    Screenshot_2021-09-28-09-21-30.png
    240.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Blinkbonny

They brought it in as a Covid restriction measure. Though no doubt, like much else, it will now become the norm.

Vespa

Established Member
Got an email survey from Avanti about my first class experience, I gave it both barrels, told the truth especially the price v VFM and I don't think I'll be getting my £100 Amazon voucher.

se1lad

I went out to Birmingham from Euston yesterday (Saturday) afternoon and came back this morning. Thoughts below:

Euston Lounge
  • Improvement over pre COVID offering, food is served on proper plates and there is more of a selection, drinks served in proper glassware too
  • Cold meat platter on the menu - apparently this is only available in the week at the moment sadly

London -> Birmingham
  • First was Coach K only and was 75% full - Standard Premium was pretty empty
  • 4 drinks runs with alcohol between London and Birmingham - full tumblers of prosecco and when I asked for a cognac and dry ginger they gave me 2 x 50ml cognac and 2 x cans of ginger ale
  • Hot option (gnocchi and smoked salmon) was good, however with only one hot option it would quickly get boring if travelling often
  • Salted caramel tart was improvement over previous desserts
  • Rather randomly we all got a plate of crisps too!
  • Quantity of food served was sufficient for the journey - I wasn't hungry at the end of the trip

Birmingham -> London
  • First was Coach K only and was almost full -rest of train was really busy too
  • Full English was good, however came with scrambled egg instead of fried egg
  • Not quite as forthcoming with drinks - there were 2 coffee runs and you had to proactively ask for soft drinks, but they were delivered promptly

On both journeys the staff were busy for the entire trip - it looks they have to work much harder to deliver the service now, and can't sit down for half of the journey anymore on quieter trains. For my normal journey (London -> Liverpool) which seems to start from £90 each way for an advance I don't think I would bother with First on breakfast trains any more. I may occasionally pay for it on afternoon/evening trains, however I think going forward I will stick to Std Premium and self cater. Having only Coach K as first is a bit of a double edged sword, it makes it more crowded but allows for a more attentive service.

Djgr

Established Member
I had bit of bother trying to get in on arrival in Euston, the door staff and I had a robust discussion about it as "I paid a first class price I should get a first class service" eventually I got in just for a "cup of coffee" before I can go and check in my hotel.

Liverpool First Class lounge staff were great, nothing was too much trouble and the staff on the train were great too, it's the railway company I have a problem with.

I'm going off the idea of Avanti first class travel, they jack up the price, add old first class price to standard premium, then restrict use of the first class lounge, I may as well revert to Standard class at least I won't be dissapointed or go with LNWR.

*I can't find a text stating

Only this as per the attachment.
This is the link containing the relevant text. Note the key word "after".

Last edited:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
  • Full English was good, however came with scrambled egg instead of fried egg
Many thanks for your interesting trip report.

I think (looking at the menus on Avanti's website) the breakfast is served with scrambled egg at weekends instead of fried- I'm guessing it possibly might be a pre cooked heated up version to remove the need for the chef to work weekends? The menu is also the same on a Super Voyager, which of course only have the very small catering galley area, with the tiny oven.

I strongly agree with your comments about the lack of variety- I really like the sound of the gnocchi with smoked salmon, but if I was a regular commuter in First Class, I'd get bored of the same menu quite quickly. I don't understand why Avanti doesn't have day at least 3 or 4 different menus to rotate on a weekly basis, like Virgin used to.

Vespa

Established Member
This is the link containing the relevant text. Note the key word "after".

Thank you, I can use this against the staff trying to block me in future ....

Seems there is considerable inconsistencies....

That said in disillusioned with Avanti first class, the unjustifiable massive increase in price even with a railcard, restricting entry to lounges, nothing like the Virgin days.

I will be going back to London in March, I'll be keeping an eye on Avanti and will consider LNWR as alternative.

route101

Established Member
Around 10 years ago I used to regularly travel on the 08:15 Preston to Glasgow and return on the 16:40, like you, I probably paid around £25 each way with Railcard.

Breakfast was generally very good, but the evening meals were generally very lacking.

I remember once joining the 08:15 at Preston heading to Glasgow, First was unusually very busy in G/H/J, empty in K but the rude Service Manager refused to allow me to sit there.
Were the breakfast portions bigger back then? I think they have shrunk, same on ECML

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Were the breakfast portions bigger back then? I think they have shrunk, same on ECML
I'm not sure to be honest. I've a feeling the Full English didn't always include black pudding, which was added within the last few years or so.

Trackman

Established Member
I'm not sure to be honest. I've a feeling the Full English didn't always include black pudding, which was added within the last few years or so.
Black pudding was included with VT going back to 2005 or even earlier. I love a bit of black pudding!
(Mods: I'm unable to quote the menu with the text)
VTB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.