• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast catering

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoOnesFool

I can understand a lot of your disappointments, it seems rather lacklustre. I was thinking it would be all singing, all dancing. RE: the evening meal, I have a feeling they are still finalising the menu for that. I'd be interested to see what the tomato tartine looks like. I think instead of kombuchas and cold teas, Cawston Press Sodas or San Pellegrino Orange cans might have been more popular. Speciality coffees such as lattes are difficult to provide in First Class, as either you'd need to take extra hot water and mix it from a sachet or run back and forth to a coffee machine in the galley for fresh brew.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Does anyone know the hours of service, specifically for the breakfast menu?

My recollection is that this used to be on trains which left their origin station before 10am, so included the 09:55 Manchester-Euston which I sometimes catch from Wilmslow at 10:11.

I haven't seen anything explicit in the new menus, but that may be my failing. It'd be good to know for me specifically if breakfast remains served on this particular train, but I think it'd be good to know for others in general also.

Trackman

Established Member
Does anyone know the hours of service, specifically for the breakfast menu?

My recollection is that this used to be on trains which left their origin station before 10am, so included the 09:55 Manchester-Euston which I sometimes catch from Wilmslow at 10:11.

I haven't seen anything explicit in the new menus, but that may be my failing. It'd be good to know for me specifically if breakfast remains served on this particular train, but I think it'd be good to know for others in general also.
It's still before 10am AFAIK.
I can understand a lot of your disappointments, it seems rather lacklustre. I was thinking it would be all singing, all dancing. RE: the evening meal, I have a feeling they are still finalising the menu for that. I'd be interested to see what the tomato tartine looks like. I think instead of kombuchas and cold teas, Cawston Press Sodas or San Pellegrino Orange cans might have been more popular. Speciality coffees such as lattes are difficult to provide in First Class, as either you'd need to take extra hot water and mix it from a sachet or run back and forth to a coffee machine in the galley for fresh brew.
I did the survey for SP and the new first class menus, I was surprised there was no hot evening meal as you had 3 menus to choose from... or it could have been just the rest of the day menu, cant remember but there was plenty of hot food.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
"a dollop of ketchup that's been made especially for Avanti West Coast"

Er, wha?

The correct ketchup for a premium offering is Heinz.

This is pretty poor to be honest. Definitely not in the league of First becoming a really premium offering to differentiate from Standard Premium.

As for MK I'm pretty sure that's always been drinks-only.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Considering the huge premiums Avanti are now charging for the majority of First Class fares compared with Standard/Standard Premium, I'm very disappointed with the new menus, particularly the lack of evening meals.

Next Sunday looking at a couple of early afternoon Manchester to London trains:
Standard around the £60 mark/Standard Premium £79/First Class £129.

I've seen several examples of Avanti trains offering Advance tickets in Standard/Standard Premium, but not First Class.

Trackman

Established Member
Breakfast will be until 10:59 with rest of day 11am onwards.
Thought I was going daft, I'm not- just checked (see below from the Avanti website).
I think VT at one time did breakfast until 11am.

Avanti West Coast offer complimentary food and drinks throughout the day in First Class, meaning you can arrive at your destination full of energy and ready to go. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the menu on offer is slightly lighter than usual, but here’s an idea of what you can expect during your journey:
  • Breakfast is served until 10:00 and includes soft drinks like tea or coffee, and usually a bacon roll or a veggie option.
  • During the rest of the day (10:00 - 22:00), sandwiches, snacks and soft drinks will be on offer.

Thank you - it's potentially something that'd make me get the 09:11 rather than the 10:11 if it weren't the case, for example, so it's good to know.
Another thing, Avanti do not publicise this on their timetables like VT did.

p.d87

It will be breakfast until 1059 (origin station) then rest of day 11am onwards
.where it changes en route will depend on the changeover station

Trackman

Established Member
It will be breakfast until 1059 (origin station) then rest of day 11am onwards
.where it changes en route will depend on the changeover station
Yes, the original question was about the origin time.

Butts

Veteran Member
As the number of 1st Class Carriages has been reduced hopefully the "trolley frequency" will increase.

At the prices they are charging now for a ticket it could be argued it should be on demand like in an Aircraft Club Cabin / Seats ?

This could be another Caledonian Sleeper, over promise and under deliver if they are not careful.

What improvements if any are accompanying these onboard "upgrades" in the Lounges ?

se1lad

They have updated the website with clarification on timings - I presume it’s based on departure time from origin station?

They are also suggesting that there is a hot meal available which is not one of the lighter options. I presume that’s the Gnocci with smoked salmon -doesn’t really sound that substantial to me!

Our delicious new menu arrived on Monday 13th September​

We’ve really enjoyed getting into the kitchen to carefully craft a delicious new menu, working with local suppliers to bring you quality food and drink including some favourite products created in communities along our route. We’ve listened out to lots of feedback and designed a new offering with our customers in mind, handpicking a range of responsibly sourced food and drink to keep you suitably refreshed during your journey with us.

Here’s a taste of what to expect:

• Breakfast served until 11am
  • Lighter dishes and a hot meal available from 11am
  • Healthy options available
  • Unique and quality products made by local suppliers along our route

dave87016

Established Member
I used to travel first class with railcard about twice a month for leisure from Preston to Glasgow always on the same services 0815 from Preston and 1840 from Glasgow pre Covid never cost me more than £51 first class return but now even looking at November it’s closer to £90 first class advance return !!! Sorry but I won’t be using first class again at those prices at least LNER have good prices from Leeds - London and York - Edinburgh so I shall be using them in future

Kite159

Veteran Member
They are also suggesting that there is a hot meal available which is not one of the lighter options. I presume that’s the Gnocci with smoked salmon -doesn’t really sound that substantial to me!

Sounds like the warmed Gnocci is what they are classing as a "hot" option

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I used to travel first class with railcard about twice a month for leisure from Preston to Glasgow always on the same services 0815 from Preston and 1840 from Glasgow pre Covid never cost me more than £51 first class return but now even looking at November it’s closer to £90 first class advance return !!! Sorry but I won’t be using first class again at those prices at least LNER have good prices from Leeds - London and York - Edinburgh so I shall be using them in future
Around 10 years ago I used to regularly travel on the 08:15 Preston to Glasgow and return on the 16:40, like you, I probably paid around £25 each way with Railcard.

Breakfast was generally very good, but the evening meals were generally very lacking.

I remember once joining the 08:15 at Preston heading to Glasgow, First was unusually very busy in G/H/J, empty in K but the rude Service Manager refused to allow me to sit there.

dave87016

Established Member
Around 10 years ago I used to regularly travel on the 08:15 Preston to Glasgow and return on the 16:40, like you, I probably paid around £25 each way with Railcard.

Breakfast was generally very good, but the evening meals were generally very lacking.

I remember once joining the 08:15 at Preston heading to Glasgow, First was unusually very busy in G/H/J, empty in K but the rude Service Manager refused to allow me to sit there.
Yea first class was usually very busy on the 0815 from Preston , I have nearly always found the breakfast service very good , sometimes the chef would come through with the breakfast there was a nice lady chef one morning serving from the tray and the breakfast was piping hot and delicious , I smiled and said my compliments to the chef she says thanks it’s nice to hear on her way back to the kitchen someone didn’t want a sausage and hash brown she offered it to me no way was i going to refuse lol

The evening meal while they could sometimes be tasty and a decent menu on paper the portions are someone disappointing especially if you compared them to the LNER evening meals

Though West Coast certainly have thrown up some damn delicious deserts aswell I found one or two of their miniature jar deserts delicious aswell

jfollows

Established Member
They have updated the website with clarification on timings - I presume it’s based on departure time from origin station?
If they really meant to provide clarification then they should have said so explicitly - as it stands I don't know whether or not breakfast will be served on the 11:11 from Wilmslow which leaves Manchester before 11am. I agree that it would be silly if it weren't, but clarification means exactly that, and the update still presents a doubt to me and doubtless others.

dave87016

Established Member
L
If they really meant to provide clarification then they should have said so explicitly - as it stands I don't know whether or not breakfast will be served on the 11:11 from Wilmslow which leaves Manchester before 11am. I agree that it would be silly if it weren't, but clarification means exactly that, and the update still presents a doubt to me and doubtless others.
A few years ago I boarded on a service past the 11am threshold before to Glasgow left Carlisle just after 11am and was served bacon roll and alcohol if we wanted it

Thankfully I had boarded it at 0941 from Preston and had the full English

Trackman

Established Member
You are right, I’ve just asked the question as it was bugging me…
Hi, if I board a train at Wilmslow at 11.11 that leaves Manchester at 10.55 would I be served breakfast? Cheers …
Hey there, you will be indeed - Miles

LiftFan

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That does look more encouraging, I admit I was disappointed when I realised all the new evening meal options were only vegan or vegetarian so hopefully it means the toppings for the gnocchi have a range of meat options.

This sort of base - or mac and cheese, or basic risotto - are a good option which you can then add all sorts of toppings to, meat and otherwise. Would be quite a good menu feature yet easy to do in bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.