• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast rebrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealTrains07

Established Member
It’s been rebranded since the second day of Avanti West Coast being in operation - it is made very clear throughout the thread. Just so you know.
My mistake. Thought the units already in livery was 156 and 157

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
My mistake. Thought the units already in livery was 156 and 157
390157 hadn't been released from Widnes after repainting at the time of the Monday franchise launch in December, so most recently repainted units 390155 and 156 were the recipients of the new vinyls.

RealTrains07

Established Member
That's intentional, the logo on the signage is supposed to represent whereabouts on the network that station is located.
Thats quite hard to see how?

will the signs be spray painted and re done elsewhere such as the ads below them?
considering every other part of the signage is still virgin except the station name

route101

Established Member
Think they were filming an ad at Glasgow Central today , on P1 next to newly painted set.

Amaroussi

So from what I have seen so far, the stations with Avanti signage, by the position of the triangle, are:

Left: Lancaster, Macclesfield, Penrith North Lakes
Right: Preston, Warrington Bank Quay, Wigan North Western
Base: Birmingham International, Rugby, Runcorn, Stafford

NorthWestFan17

So from what I have seen so far, the stations with Avanti signage, by the position of the triangle, are:

Left: Lancaster, Macclesfield, Penrith North Lakes
Right: Preston, Warrington Bank Quay, Wigan North Western
Base: Birmingham International, Rugby, Runcorn, Stafford
It’s fascinating. Never realised avanti put detail into the sign design.

Crewe is left as well. What determines which station gains what triangle?

DMU180

Apparently the idea behind the station signs is that you have the triangle and then over the top is the circle which represents the local "community" and where the station is in relation to the triangle. For example Euston will be the bottom corner with a community circle over the top. It creates a unique pattern which makes every station sign different. Quite a nice idea but very complicated and very few people will take the time to notice.

dk1

Veteran Member
Apparently the idea behind the station signs is that you have the triangle and then over the top is the circle which represents the local "community" and where the station is in relation to the triangle. For example Euston will be the bottom corner with a community circle over the top. It creates a unique pattern which makes every station sign different. Quite a nice idea but very complicated and very few people will take the time to notice.
Have you ever known anything so tedious?

NorthWestFan17

I can see that. It works quite well actually. Considering

Established Member
Have you ever known anything so tedious?

Absolutely agree. Barely worth a yawn.

But somewhere there is a branding expert, or perhaps even a team of them, going round telling the management that these varying splodges will give them brand recognition and make everybody love them. Nice work if you can get it!

dk1

Veteran Member
Absolutely agree. Barely worth a yawn.

But somewhere there is a branding expert, or perhaps even a team of them, going round telling the management that these varying splodges will give them brand recognition and make everybody love them. Nice work if you can get it!
I am simply astounded that everyone who has to agree to this very important part of any company can vote this in as a fantastic & memorable image for the business.

We all know that Virgin & its expertise at image & branding was going to be a hard act to follow but these guys almost come across as throwing in the towel.

Energy

Established Member
I think that's the first time I have seen the end PIS display on a 221 say "London Euston", as it should.
For the entire Virgin period they showed just "Euston" which I always thought stupid.
Is it? I'm fairly sure most people will know it is London as the audio announcements do say London Euston, if it is easier to read from afar then it makes sense.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is it? I'm fairly sure most people will know it is London as the audio announcements do say London Euston, if it is easier to read from afar then it makes sense.

I could see an argument for it to say "London" as from most WCML places there's only one option. "Euston" makes no sense at all, it's not a Tube train, and the station is called "London Euston".

I too thought it stupid.

Energy

Established Member
I could see an argument for it to say "London" as from most WCML places there's only one option. "Euston" makes no sense at all, it's not a Tube train, and the station is called "London Euston".

I too thought it stupid.
London would make the most sense.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I bet David Brown wished he'd stayed in the public sector. Don't fancy his chances of surviving.

Trainfan2019

Just noticed today Stoke-On-Trent has now got Avanti platform signs. Couldn't get a photo as passing through. Different style to Crewe as they're mainly dark blue allover.

Established Member
Virgin trains keeps living on. Just picked up one of the Virgin trains branded December to May timetables at Derby.

Status
Not open for further replies.