• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast recruiting QUALIFIED DRIVER TALENT POOL ONLY at London Euston, Liverpool, Manchester, and Wolverhampton depots. (Posted 1/2-09-2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theironroad

Established Member
You are 13 of many, trouble is RMT may not exist much longer so where do you go then?

Curious statement.

Why do you think the RMT won't exist much longer?

Suppose it could get absorbed into a super union like Unite but the RMT is a fair size already.

Crazyb

I got fed up with ASLEF and their corrupt ways- left and joined RMT.

Another 12 Drivers at my depot followed.

I don't like going off the topic, but there are some downsides to RMT as a train driver.

You might find that when being represented, it could be someone that has no traincrew expérience.

You mind find that if you have some sort disagreement at work or maybe have medical problems. Again RMT reps might not have the knowledge of train crew terms and conditions.

RMT will have nothing to do with your pay rise, but I think if you have a majority of RMT at your depot, it maybe different....not sure on this.

RMT are not really for train drivers, but peoples choices.

I've been with ASLEF for 35 years, Some things I will disagree with, some pay rises i'm not happy with, sometimes over friendly with management, but I have seen some good things.

Getting drivers paid off with ill health quite quickly....Good representation, good knowledge of conditions and shooting management down in flames. Sorted out my redundancy, I can go on and on. I've also seen ASLEF get redundant drivers jobs at other TOC's, not all, but most drivers were helped out.

Drivers moan about ASLEF, but do they go to their Branches...Not really, well not what I've seen, and I've been to a few depots.

Yeah, people say it's expensive diary, but have you ever needed to use them. We can all moan, but I have seen more good than bad things.

the sniper

Established Member
You are 13 of many, trouble is RMT may not exist much longer so where do you go then?

I wouldn't bet on that.

I don't like going off the topic, but there are some downsides to RMT as a train driver.

You might find that when being represented, it could be someone that has no traincrew expérience.

You mind find that if you have some sort disagreement at work or maybe have medical problems. Again RMT reps might not have the knowledge of train crew terms and conditions.

This would surely be pretty unusual though, as you'd never be too far away from a Guards depot, even in DOO areas.

RMT will have nothing to do with your pay rise, but I think if you have a majority of RMT at your depot, it maybe different....not sure on this.

Location dependent, as there's collective bargaining for general pay rises in places, though productivity deals would generally be separate I think.

I don't really disagree with that though.

whoosh

Established Member
I got fed up with ASLEF and their corrupt ways- left and joined RMT.

Another 12 Drivers at my depot followed.

I feel for you. Not EMR at Derby is it? A staggering 19 out of 150 drivers - almost 13%(!) were in another union at one point - although that was many years ago. Many issues.... too many to "just sort out by going to a branch meeting". Deeply ingrained poor unhelpful corrupted attitudes.

I've been with ASLEF for 35 years, Some things I will disagree with, some pay rises i'm not happy with, sometimes over friendly with management, but I have seen some good things.

Getting drivers paid off with ill health quite quickly....Good representation, good knowledge of conditions and shooting management down in flames. Sorted out my redundancy, I can go on and on. I've also seen ASLEF get redundant drivers jobs at other TOC's, not all, but most drivers were helped out.

Drivers moan about ASLEF, but do they go to their Branches...Not really, well not what I've seen, and I've been to a few depots.

Yeah, people say it's expensive diary, but have you ever needed to use them. We can all moan, but I have seen more good than bad things.

You are right... but I know you once worked at the TOC where I now work, which is fantastic in comparison to where I started off, and my relationship with ASLEF has been turned on its head - in a good way - thanks to not just throughly decent reps, but really very good ones. If only it had been like this my whole career!

Economist

I feel for you. Not EMR at Derby is it? A staggering 19 out of 150 drivers - almost 13%(!) were in another union at one point - although that was many years ago. Many issues.... too many to "just sort out by going to a branch meeting". Deeply ingrained poor unhelpful corrupted attitudes.

Where were the ASLEF higher ups when this was going on? Surely, those sort of numbers at a specific depot would ring alarm bells.

Is it still like that there? It's a place I was tempted to apply for if/when it opens, on the surface it has good routes and traction albeit some awkward start/finish times.

Is anyone able to provide details on what the core routes, traction, earliest book on and latest finish times are for Euston. Thanks all.

Octopus28

Have been invited for an online “interview and group activity”
Have you had yours yet? My friends got theirs on Thursday and is nervous about what to expect o_O Not been much talk on here about what it’s like, everyone is keeping hush hush haha!

philthetube

Established Member
Train drivers working 10 or 11 days in a row? Safety critical job. What sort of union allows that in this day and age?, oh yes of course its those dinosaurs at ASLEF
Wow, the DFT are happy with it, the regulators are happy with it, the employers are happy with it and it is ll the fault of ASLEF

Nacho85

Anyone got a copy of the different links at euston? What different routes do they do on each link?

Boodiggy

Sorry bud I haven't, but what I do know is you start on 221s and do Birmingham's mostly for the first 2 years and then move on to Pendos
I don’t think this is correct.
Pendo’s are the core traction and will be leant first or potentially alongside Super Voyagers. You will then learn all the routes in your link. You will not be stuck on Euston - Brum - Wolves. You will also learn Manchester and Preston (possibly Chester) and the route learning will be broken in to chunks after the depot at Wembley like Euston - Rugby, Rugby - New St/Wolves/Stafford, Trent Valley etc etc until you sign the while route and various diverts.
Happy to be corrected but I think you will find it works something like that.

Railwayman101

I don’t think this is correct.
Pendo’s are the core traction and will be leant first or potentially alongside Super Voyagers. You will then learn all the routes in your link. You will not be stuck on Euston - Brum - Wolves. You will also learn Manchester and Preston (possibly Chester) and the route learning will be broken in to chunks after the depot at Wembley like Euston - Rugby, Rugby - New St/Wolves/Stafford, Trent Valley etc etc until you sign the while route and various diverts.
Happy to be corrected but I think you will find it works something like that.

To be fair brother, you're probably more right than I am. The info I got is now some 2 years old and things may have changed. I got the info from a Senior Man at EUS. let's be honest I think we'd all prefer Pendos

Boodiggy

To be fair brother, you're probably more right than I am. The info I got is now some 2 years old and things may have changed. I got the info from a Senior Man at EUS. let's be honest I think we'd all prefer Pendos

not wrong there! Haha

Railwayman101

Does anyone know the structure of the interview tomorrow/ Tuesday? I understand its a 40 minute rules test. But the Teams session is 60 mins.

Tia!

Astro_Orbiter

Does anyone know the structure of the interview tomorrow/ Tuesday? I understand its a 40 minute rules test. But the Teams session is 60 mins.

Tia!
No idea, been wondering myself what sort of format it'll be, I've kind of assumed it's a rules exam while they watch you via teams to make sure you don't cheat but that's just pure guesswork. Let me know how you get on!

Status
Not open for further replies.