• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Rolling Stock Updates

jfollows

Established Member
390148 showing as working 1R03 0555 Manchester - Euston this morning (14/05). Is this it’s first work since being refurbed?
Minor technicality - 1A03.
The 1Rxx reporting numbers are only Monday-Friday; Saturday reverts to former behaviour.

390125 on 1A06 06:35 Manchester-Euston today, followed by 5A06 to Wembley depot.
390148 will also end up at Wembley tonight after a run to Preston and back to London Euston.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

317 forever

Established Member
It is interesting that these are being refurbished with different interiors to the 221s. Admittedly the 221s are soon to be replaced.

RealTrains07

Established Member
It is interesting that these are being refurbished with different interiors to the 221s. Admittedly the 221s are soon to be replaced.
Which is funny, considering the 221s are due to be replaced the vestibules have been completely refurbished whereas the 390s in comparison still in VT colours

jfollows

Established Member
I saw a comment on the Avanti train running page that a service (at least) was cancelled because of a lack of rolling stock, so having all the refurbished units out today certainly seems sensible.

Emaharg

I had two rides on 390148 yesterday, Birmingham Inter - Euston and Manchester Piccadilly - Euston. I was travelling in First Class coach J on both trips.
Observations : The wi-fi has been degraded significantly, none of new PIS screens working on train. The seating moquette is quite poor shows significant lint etc.
The hinged tables do not have the best hinges so are starting to droop at this early stage. The shop was also cash only. The seating availability cameras do not link correctly to the stations. At Birmingham International PIS screen was showing incoming train 4 carriages of 1st Class with respective loading, when in fact only 3 carriages are 1st or SP on refurbished 390148.
I did also ride 390125 yesterday Euston - Manchester. Wi-fi also degraded.
For balance I travelled on 221114 from Euston - Crewe afterwards and the wi-fi was significantly better than the refurbished 390s. I hear 390155 is out very soon. The connectivity issues really do need to be addressed before they progress too far . Travelled today on 390135 with no issues.
Thanks for the info. I found 390148 on the 14:20 Euston to Milton Keynes and had a ride .

Really liked it to be fair. Very impressed

SansHache

py_megapixel

Established Member
Have they sorted out the issue with only managers being able to work them? If not, I hope they're quick about it or we'll start seeing cancellations because too many sets have the new interior.

"Rail services cancelled because the trains are too modern" would be an excellent clickbait headline.

skyhigh

Established Member
Have they sorted out the issue with only managers being able to work them? If not, I hope they're quick about it or we'll start seeing cancellations because too many sets have the new interior.

"Rail services cancelled because the trains are too modern" would be an excellent clickbait headline.
I've still not seen any confirmation that was a genuine issue.

MP393

When I had 390148 on the 0555 MAN EUS last Saturday, it was an ordinary train manager working it as usual, no management. So I’m guessing that was either a myth or an issue quickly solved!

JakeMurphy

qantas330

390125/148 both went up to Glasgow today. 390155 also in service. 390156 on Longsight

390154 going in for refurb early hours of 21/05

Last edited:

Efini92

Established Member
It’s about time they’re making some quick progress. 390 156 looks to be on the 13:30 Euston to Glasgow and 155 is on the 14:30 Euston to Glasgow
Looks like 155 ran empty to Euston this morning

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
It’s about time they’re making some quick progress. 390 156 looks to be on the 13:30 Euston to Glasgow and 155 is on the 14:30 Euston to Glasgow
Indeed, with 156 forming the return 18:40 and 155 forming the 20:06 from Glasgow to Crewe (which, luckily, happens to be my train home this evening!)

Edit: I see they’ve taken 156 off the 13:30 and replaced it with 020. Wonder if they’ve had any problems this morning?

Last edited:

Mordac

Established Member
I assume a programme of training has been agreed for the complex task of operating the new microwave then?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I assume a programme of training has been agreed for the complex task of operating the new microwave then?
It would appear so.

The new issue seems to be that all refurb sets can only take cash in the shop due to issues with the card machine (allegedly caused by very poor wifi)

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
That's odd. Worked fine for me on 390 148 the other day.
That’s interesting - I have been on 155 and 123 on the last couple of days and both have had the machine down. Perhaps its just certain units

Blindtraveler

Established Member
If this is going to continue to be an issue do then maybe it's time I'm the sale of of food vouchers was considered, buy them online or in-app and they either generate a QR code or you can collect them from a ticket office or machine

Sorcerer

If anyone has recently been on the newly refurbished sets, how do they compare to the old ones as an experience? I do like the new design and new features such as wireless charging tables and the new ambience to give it a distinctive feel that sets Avanti apart from it's predecessor, but has it also enhanced the customer experience such as more comfortable seating and better use of the shop or is it still roughly the same experience as before?

supervc-10

If this is going to continue to be an issue do then maybe it's time I'm the sale of of food vouchers was considered, buy them online or in-app and they either generate a QR code or you can collect them from a ticket office or machine
Maybe back to the Covid style 'at seat ordering' tech but with you collecting it from the shop rather than having a staff member take it to you?
Because a lot of people (myself included) do not carry cash these days. I often don't even carry my wallet.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
If anyone has recently been on the newly refurbished sets, how do they compare to the old ones as an experience? I do like the new design and new features such as wireless charging tables and the new ambience to give it a distinctive feel that sets Avanti apart from it's predecessor, but has it also enhanced the customer experience such as more comfortable seating and better use of the shop or is it still roughly the same experience as before?
I find the seats more comfortable. A little hard but I’m sure this will soften over time. Shop is brighter and more open (nicer ambience), PIS screens are useful and upgraded charging is good. Everything else pretty much identical.