• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast: Standard Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retorus

Same on my 2048 Liverpool to London last night. Coach K stated as the only 1st class carriage, with 2 standard premium carriages and the rest standard.

TM actively announced the availability of £25 upgrades upon departure from Liverpool. Nobody in my carriage moved.

I was in carriage C, which appeared to have become the new onboard messroom, with 3 staff congregated near the TM’s hidey hole.
This has been my experience too, with the occasional huff when they have to move out of the way slightly to let people past.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Emaharg

How was the service in both cases? How often did they do a drinks run?
Yes, there was drinks runs on both services. No complimentary alcohol served on services originating before 11am. So the 1007 Euston is a breakfast train, which the full English was excellent, but the 1130 offers the rest of the day menu including alcohol.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
This has been my experience too, with the occasional huff when they have to move out of the way slightly to let people past.

On an Avanti this morning, and same for me.
3 staff in Coach C sitting and not really doing very much (if anything) at all.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes, there was drinks runs on both services. No complimentary alcohol served on services originating before 11am. So the 1007 Euston is a breakfast train, which the full English was excellent, but the 1130 offers the rest of the day menu including alcohol.

Does that mean even if there is a run after 11am on a train originating before that time there is no Alcohol available ?

As a comparison in BA Club it is available even on the earliest flights.

Retorus

Does that mean even if there is a run after 11am on a train originating before that time there is no Alcohol available ?

As a comparison in BA Club it is available even on the earliest flights.
I admire your commitment to the dram. :lol:

Butts

Veteran Member
I admire your commitment to the dram. :lol:

It's not a case of commitment but more one of availability.

On an Executive Service it should be all about choice not staff convenience as to when people avail themselves of what is on offer.

Blinkbonny

It's not a case of commitment but more one of availability.

On an Executive Service it should be all about choice not staff convenience as to when people avail themselves of what is on offer.
Exactly so. I can't imagine paying the current eye-watering First Class prices, and then having to sit waiting patiently in the hope that you might be offered a cup of coffee or a beer.

TheGrew

I had my first Standard Premium Experience on Friday when I visited London for work from Warrington. Very busy 9 car Pendolino (10:22) with advisory on platform for those with flexible tickets to get a different train. Standard premium was well used with most of the tables in use. TM came over and quoted my £25 which seemed reasonable enough for two hours with the ability to work so I went for it.
On the way back (21:10) I managed to seat frog into 'proper' first for £35 (the reserve price) and enjoyed the great service and refreshments from the host (there was only two passengers!).
I think the experiences confirmed for me that at the right time of day (when I would enjoy the refreshments) I would only be willing to spend a max of £40 for first class otherwise I will use Standard Premium and grab something from the station or shop. The seat, table and plug socket are the main things I am after when travelling for work.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Apparently no chef available on this morning's 05:13 Lancaster to London Euston, so reduced Breakfast service in First Class.

Also reduced Breakfast service on 05:00 and 06:04 Wolverhampton to London Euston.

(According to Avanti Journey Check)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Apparently no chef available on this morning's 05:13 Lancaster to London Euston, so reduced Breakfast service in First Class.

Also reduced Breakfast service on 05:00 and 06:04 Wolverhampton to London Euston.

(According to Avanti Journey Check)
So pointless having a chef on the train, honestly.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Old habits die hard, but you could certainly design a really good menu that didn't require one if you got a good chef on the job at company level.
Maybe D(a)fT are planning on asking Prue Leith to return as a Non-Executive Director of GBR. :lol:

Vespa

Established Member
No food loaded at all in first this morning on the 08:30 from New Street to Euston. Staff very apologetic. Standard Premier pretty quiet, 7 of us in Coach K.
I presume you will making a claim for a refund for not receiving what you paid for.

If you do, let us know how it works out.

I'm going 1st Class early morning to London next Monday, so will see what the service level and breakfast is like and I will certainly be reporting back good or bad.

Butts

Veteran Member
I've just booked Advanced 1st Class Tickets from Euston to Birmingham on October 31st and it cost £68 for 2 people with a 2 together Railcard.

This is on a late night service and only Coach K was bookable - last year it would have been about half the price or just a little more.

At least we will have Lounge Access at Euston for an hour before (coming form LHR so had to allow margin) and what should be impeccable service onboard as the Steward only has about 10-15 passengers to attend to at most.

Standard Premium would have cost about £30 less, but with only half a 1st Class carriage I feel we will be treated like royalty whilst the hordes of SP will get their seat and nothing else or Lounge Access.

Djgr

Established Member
Which goes back to my point about Avanti concentrating on getting their basics right first rather than launching new services (aka three class trains)

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I’ve elected for Standard Premium for Birmingham - London Friday evening (£20 vice £10 standard) and Edinburgh to Birmingham Sunday evening (£58 vice £41).

Prices are with a railcard & are roughly what I’d used to have paid for 1st class. I can see how some, especially those without railcard, might see it as a bit pricey, but at the same time, for those lucky enough to have a railcard, the increase over Standard is imo priced about right.

Of course, “proper” first was priced at about £60 for BHM-EUS and was 3 figures for EDB-BHM :lol:

Interestingly, the XC app is only showing SP/First fares for the 1451 EDB - BHM on Sunday, pretending that all the Standard seats are sold out. That nonsense has to stop - there will be some who pay more than they need to.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
At least we will have Lounge Access at Euston for an hour before (coming form LHR so had to allow margin) and what should be impeccable service onboard as the Steward only has about 10-15 passengers to attend to at most.

Off topic, but I hope you have allowed plenty of time to clear immigration at LHR, it can be an absolute nighmare, (I was almost 3 hours queuing earlier this year on a flight from Rome and lumped-in with all and sundry from every other arrival).

Maybe HM Immigration should think about giving UK passport holders some priority now we are free of the so called shackles of the EU?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Travelled Standard Premium recently - had it to myself. First Class was nearly full. It was quite nice for a change not having the (usually excellent) hosts asking if I wanted hot drinks / cold drinks / food and bustling about. Very peaceful.

Butts

Veteran Member
Off topic, but I hope you have allowed plenty of time to clear immigration at LHR, it can be an absolute nighmare, (I was almost 3 hours queuing earlier this year on a flight from Rome and lumped-in with all and sundry from every other arrival).

Maybe HM Immigration should think about giving UK passport holders some priority now we are free of the so called shackles of the EU?

As we are travelling from Inverness I don't anticipate that being much of a problem :E

To be honest I envisage an elevated level of service somewhat similar to Club Class on a plane with one steward to service a handful of passengers in the new elite K Carriage well away from the hordes.

Added to that I am anticipating the Lounge at Euston will be a lot quieter as well.

As it is a Sunday I am looking forward to a spiritual experience ;)

If my vision materialises the extra cash expended over SP will be a worthwhile investment.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
As we are travelling from Inverness I don't anticipate that being much of a problem :E

To be honest I envisage an elevated level of service somewhat similar to Club Class on a plane with one steward to service a handful of passengers in the new elite K Carriage well away from the hordes.

Added to that I am anticipating the Lounge at Euston will be a lot quieter as well.

As it is a Sunday I am looking forward to a spiritual experience ;)

If my vision materialises the extra cash expended over SP will be a worthwhile investment.

Do they serve complimentary food and drink in 1st on weekend services?

Meyrick

Could be an interesting legal case if they refuse to compensate at least the difference between 1st and SP given Standard Premium is just 1st class without the "complimentary" offer.

Wouldn't happen, my friend has had his money refunded many times where the service has failed. Even when there was no hot food on a breakfast train he was refunded. Gone are the days where "complimentary" was used as an excuse.

On an Avanti this morning, and same for me.
3 staff in Coach C sitting and not really doing very much (if anything) at all.

Remember that some staff do pass on trains, meaning they're in uniform but are not the core staff on the train. They will assist where required but the main reason they're on that train is to get to another one.

Or they could be assisting with at seat order, which requires an extra person in the shop now.

superalbs

Established Member
Wouldn't happen, my friend has had his money refunded many times where the service has failed. Even when there was no hot food on a breakfast train he was refunded. Gone are the days where "complimentary" was used as an excuse.
GWR have still fobbed me off with that one relatively recently...

Mogz

I just wish Chiltern would bring back the coffee and bacon rolls trolly! Lol!

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Remember that some staff do pass on trains, meaning they're in uniform but are not the core staff on the train. They will assist where required but the main reason they're on that train is to get to another one..

They should wear a tabard like a warming-up substitute in football. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.