• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
IIRC, Air France also operated the first commercial service to Tegel - if not the very first it then on the first day.

That's correct, Air France was deliberately chosen to operate the last flight out because they were the first airline to fly to Tegel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
No - you should be fine, and if using the Flight Connections flow through Heathrow the chances of even being questioned are pretty much zero. If travelling with checked baggage on separate tickets so having to re-clear security, you might have a couple of Heathrow staffers/police wanting to know your reasons for travel, but again if you explain you're self-connecting, there's going to be no issue there.

An interesting loophole, unfortunately merely academic now as BA have cancelled all Flights to Gibraltar during the "English Lockdown".

I wonder how long it will be before Sturgeon "closes this door"

Jamesrob637

Established Member
A TUI Nederland or Belgique Dreamliner went to Greenville-Spartanburg yesterday; reason unknown unless somebody here knows more.

I'd love to think it's off for scrap but it's likely too new for that.

fowler9

Established Member
Royal Air Maroc Cargo diverted to JLA today on its way from Cassablanca to Brussels, was a 763. I believe it may have been carrying car parts, anyone know? Bit of an unusual arrival.

flymo

Established Member
Quite a strange diversion too, looking at the playback on FR24 it went straight from Casablanca to Liverpool once it passed the north coast of Spain, never got anywhere near Brussels. Belgium shut ? It took off again after about 3 hours in Liverpool.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
A KLM A330 has run into a parked/stored 747 of the same airline in Schiphol. Damage is minor though.
Hope this isn't revenge for the 787 bashing an A350 in Doha back in May!

WestCoast

Established Member
I just had an email to say that easyJet are bringing their cabin baggage allowance in line with that of Ryanair and Wizzair. As of February, passengers will only be able take a small underseat bag onboard without paying for an upfront or extra legroom seat or they can pay to check in a trolley bag.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I just had an email to say that easyJet are bringing their cabin baggage allowance in line with that of Ryanair and Wizzair. As of February, passengers will only be able take a small underseat bag onboard without paying for an upfront or extra legroom seat or they can pay to check in a trolley bag.

it’s a bit more subtle than that.

If you have already paid for a extra leg room or ‘upfront’ seat, you can carry on a small underseat bag and a ‘normal’ size cabin bag for free. Similarly, if you have paid the flexi fare, the larger cabin bag is free.

If you haven’t done any of these, then it is a small underseat bag only, unless you pay the hold bag fee for your larger cabin bag. If, say yu have a large cabin bag and a hold bag, you pay two bag fees.

I’m a bit disappointed with easyjet for this to be honest. I know times are desperate, but this adds potential confusion to the process.

Butts

Veteran Member
it’s a bit more subtle than that.

If you have already paid for a extra leg room or ‘upfront’ seat, you can carry on a small underseat bag and a ‘normal’ size cabin bag for free. Similarly, if you have paid the flexi fare, the larger cabin bag is free.

If you haven’t done any of these, then it is a small underseat bag only, unless you pay the hold bag fee for your larger cabin bag. If, say yu have a large cabin bag and a hold bag, you pay two bag fees.

I’m a bit disappointed with easyjet for this to be honest. I know times are desperate, but this adds potential confusion to the process.

Sounds identical to Ryanair's Policy.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I reckon that would be challengeable in Court as breach of contract or bait-and-switch, I wonder if anyone will?
I doubt it but I'm fairly annoyed. I'll happily pay extra for jet2 with all the extra money I've saved not going on holiday this year.

eoff

Shame, think it's a joke that they can change the terms of my ticket for May.
The BBC article says that they will not charge for existing bookings.

EasyJet have the cheek to say this will improve the service but the overhead lockers are only full because airlines differentiate ticket pricing for what used to be a standard hold baggage allowance included in the price, before this started I don't recall such a problem.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yes, but...

If you have already made a booking before 1 December 2020 for travel from 10 February 2021 and have not booked an Up front or Extra legroom seat, you will be able to bring on board a small under seat cabin bag (maximum 45 x 36 x 20cm including any handles and wheels). In addition to this we will be contacting you to offer you easyJet’s Hands Free product free of charge should you wish to still bring a large cabin bag in addition to your small under seat cabin bag. Hands Free enables you to check your large cabin bag into the hold at Bag Drop and have it delivered amongst the first on the baggage belt on arrival.

Meanwhile, Mr O’Leary is busy being a Boeing salesman. Another reason not to fly with them.
Interesting that the 737-MAX is, err, not being referred to as such.

Last edited:

TravelDream

O'Leary has always been bullish, but this shows good confidence in the future from Ryanair.
I don't think the 737 Max is fundamentally unsafe. It was certainly flawed, but only when paired with poor piloting did the aircraft crash. The flaws have now been ironed out and there'll be more training for pilots on the use of MCAS.
Honestly, I would get on one tomorrow with little hesitation.

More good news for the UK aviation market. Wizzair has decided to open up a based in Cardiff. Hopefully there'll be more choice at lower prices for those of us based in South Wales.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
O'Leary has always been bullish, but this shows good confidence in the future from Ryanair.
I don't think the 737 Max is fundamentally unsafe. It was certainly flawed, but only when paired with poor piloting did the aircraft crash. The flaws have now been ironed out and there'll be more training for pilots on the use of MCAS.
Honestly, I would get on one tomorrow with little hesitation.

Indeed - one of the issues with MCAS was that nobody knew about how it would behave. Now they do, the same accident wouldn't happen again even if they didn't modify it.

It was still an awful "bodgit and scarper" piece of design, though. It's really about time Boeing binned the 1960s design of the 737 and designed a completely new short-haul platform based on the 787.

TravelDream

Indeed - one of the issues with MCAS was that nobody knew about how it would behave. Now they do, the same accident wouldn't happen again even if they didn't modify it.

It was still an awful "bodgit and scarper" piece of design, though. It's really about time Boeing binned the 1960s design of the 737 and designed a completely new short-haul platform based on the 787.

It's all pounds, shillings and pence though (well, dollars and cents!). The Max was a lot cheaper, faster and less risky (no laughing at the back) for Boeing to develop than a brand new airframe. It sold exceptionally well before the crashes showing that it was the correct decision in commercial terms.
The 737 saves a lot on costs because it has many grandfathered rights which make the plane much cheaper to manufacture. Even for basic things (door sizes, max number of seats, emergency exits etc. etc.), it doesn't meet modern regulations. Any new design would lose all of these advantages.

FQTV

I agree it would be significantly less likely, but without the redesign there were still ways it could have caused an accident.

My own feeling is that what lead to the MAX situation is, one way or another, the result of a series of decisions that reflect a particular corporate culture at Boeing.

Unfortunately, that means that I am now inherently less comfortable (although admittedly it's all about degrees, and I'd favour a competent Boeing operator over an incompetent Airbus one) flying a newer Boeing product than I am an Airbus one.

The inconvenient truth is that the 737 is getting on for seventy years old as a design concept, and that concept was in itself quite different from the one that MAX is purported to be.

Some may remember the Kegworth crash, which was catalysed by Boeing grandfathering things through, but fundamental changes to the aircraft's systems had been made, and flight crew were not trained on them. Worse still, the initial response was to try and blame the crew.

That was in 1989, more than thirty years ago, and totally different in technical cause to the MAX crashes, but not so dissimilar, it seems, in terms of how the causes came to occur.

Full disclosure, also: Airbus serves a much better lunch at the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.