• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pitdiver

I am going to request assistance and access to the First Class lounge at Kirkwall, Westray and Papa Westray.
That's assuming the Islanders are still flying. As I understand it they are getting long in the tooth ( to say the least).

WestCoast

Established Member
Having completed the return journey a few years ago when Flybe provided the service (A lot cheaper than Loganair) in a Saab Twin Otter both take off and landing on Barra are a wonderful experience.

The flight across from Glasgow was great low over the hills for a panoramic view. We could see the "Pilots View" as the cockpit door was open throughout. The Co-Pilot was the "trolley dolly" and did the safety briefing. There was a card in the pocket telling you how to fly the plane - almost !!

Barra Airport is tiny and the security virtually non-existent, you walk out of the Café across the beach and onto the Plane.

My Hire Car was parked in the Car Park with the keys in the ignition - returned in the same fashion.

The B&B didn't need a key the door was unlocked.

If you are early there is a wonderful deserted beach on the other side of the road from the Airport.

It's surreal taxying at GLA in a fun sized almost toy plane past all the other "Giant Aircraft" (by comparison) before a real take off watching the pilots every move through the open cabin door.

Flybe never actually operated the service to the Western Islands, it's always been Loganair on those routes but they were a Flybe franchisee so you booked with Flybe but the planes/staff were Loganair. Previous to Flybe they operated as a franchisee to BA. Loganair stretch all the way back to 1962 predating Flybe/British European!

I've done the Glasgow - Campbeltown service on the "Twotter" and it's similar apart from the beach landing.

najaB

Veteran Member
That's assuming the Islanders are still flying. As I understand it they are getting long in the tooth ( to say the least).
Had Covid restrictions not prevented it I had planned to try and get a flight on Roraima Airways in Guyana - they still fly a handful of Tri-Islanders on internal flights.

Mills444

Had Covid restrictions not prevented it I had planned to try and get a flight on Roraima Airways in Guyana - they still fly a handful of Tri-Islanders on internal flights.
Oh, Tri-Islanders very nice certainly sound unique, and I used to enjoy them when I lived in Southampton.

DelW

Established Member
Having completed the return journey a few years ago when Flybe provided the service (A lot cheaper than Loganair) in a Saab Twin Otter both take off and landing on Barra are a wonderful experience.

The flight across from Glasgow was great low over the hills for a panoramic view. We could see the "Pilots View" as the cockpit door was open throughout. The Co-Pilot was the "trolley dolly" and did the safety briefing. There was a card in the pocket telling you how to fly the plane - almost !!

Oh, Tri-Islanders very nice certainly sound unique, and I used to enjoy them when I lived in Southampton.
There isn't even a cabin door to leave open on the Trislanders (or indeed a co-pilot), as per photos taken flying between Alderney and Southampton a few years ago.

No seats assigned at check-in, passengers were lined up on the apron alongside the plane and assigned seats based on estimates of their weight!

Attachments

• DSC00771.JPG
    DSC00771.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • DSC00666.JPG
    DSC00666.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 44

najaB

Veteran Member
passengers were lined up on the apron alongside the plane and assigned seats based on estimates of their weight!
So it's possibly time to start a diet if they start by putting you in the middle...

DelW

Established Member
So it's possibly time to start a diet if they start by putting you in the middle...
They were quite tactful about it, but I'm pretty sure that was the criterion that was being used :lol:

najaB

Veteran Member
They were quite tactful about it, but I'm pretty sure that was the criterion that was being used :lol:
I suppose it could be worse. They could go "Okay, you sit up front. Now you two.., hmm... you three sit at the back...."

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
There isn't even a cabin door to leave open on the Trislanders (or indeed a co-pilot), as per photos taken flying between Alderney and Southampton a few years ago.

No seats assigned at check-in, passengers were lined up on the apron alongside the plane and assigned seats based on estimates of their weight!

Blimey! I didn't realise it was that pokey on board!! I though it was maybe a 1+1 seat layout with a small isle in the middle, so with those sort of bench seats, I assume there are doors at each row then, much like a slam door EMU??

vlad

I've travelled on one of those Trislanders between Guernsey and Alderney - and thankfully it wasn't as busy as the photo above!

We weren't assigned seats at check-in but were told where to sit on the plane by airport staff - I assume it was to even us out as we weren't sitting close to each other. From memory there's a door by every other row with a moveable seat like those you get in the front of cars with no rear doors.

I was sitting right behind the pilot in both directions, which gave me a good view out of the front but did make me worry about all the flashing lights and what the pilot was doing. "Why did he just switch the fuel to off!?" Given that there was no barrier between me and the pilot it would have been very easy to hijack the plane....

As an aside, I don't recommend flying with Aurigny (that airline) under any circumstances - but that's an opinion for another thread.

DelW

Established Member
Blimey! I didn't realise it was that pokey on board!! I though it was maybe a 1+1 seat layout with a small isle in the middle, so with those sort of bench seats, I assume there are doors at each row then, much like a slam door EMU??
As suggested by vlad above, each door gives access to two rows of seats. I think there are two doors each side, with those on the left staggered fore and aft from those on the right, so that four doors give access to sixteen seats.

You wouldn't want to be sitting next to someone too large, which I assume is another consideration at the seat assignment on the apron.

On my flight back, the pilot had been one of a group of Aurigny crew who'd been partying in the bar of the (now long gone) Butts hotel until quite late the previous evening. Work colleagues who lived in Jersey always referred to the airline as "the yellow peril" :'(

[edit to add:] looking at Wikipedia, Aurigny has retired its Trislanders now, apparently replaced by Dornier / RUAG 228s, which have 1+1 seating but with an aisle.

Last edited:

pitdiver

Within the next few years the Inter Island flights will possibly be operated by electric powered aircraft. Therefore Loganair will be placing a bulk order for Duracell batteries. Apparently they will have enough power to be able to fly to alternative airfields eg Wick or possibly at a push Inverness.

najaB

Veteran Member
Lufthansa owned airline Eurowings are to launch new leisure flights from Birmingham & Manchester to Mallorca, Spain later this year (not sure if this will be of any interest to anyone on here)
I wonder if they're launching flights from Birmingham and Manchester to Mallorca, or if they're launching flights from Mallorca to Birmingham and Manchester? Seeing as they're an EU-registered airline it would be easier to do the latter than the former post-Brexit.

(Yes, I know that's being quite pedantic!)

WestCoast

Established Member
I wonder if they're launching flights from Birmingham and Manchester to Mallorca, or if they're launching flights from Mallorca to Birmingham and Manchester? Seeing as they're an EU-registered airline it would be easier to do the latter than the former post-Brexit.

(Yes, I know that's being quite pedantic!)

The latter in this case, their base for the aircraft and crew is at Palma. The former would still be possible under the new rules though as it’s part of the UK-EU agreement. Ryanair is continuing to operate services to the EU with UK based planes which are registered in Ireland. They’ve also got a separate UK company now but it’s not clear to me as to what extent they’ll use it.

Elwyn

I'm hopefully doing the Westray-Papa Westray flight in June if Loganair get me to Kirkwall.
I have flown to Papa Westray several times. If they are still using the Islander aircraft, the pilot is usually alone. Occasionally there's a check pilot monitoring but most of the time the co-pilots seat is empty. If weight & trim allow, the co-pilots seat can be used for passengers. If you ask the pilot at the right moment, they’ll often let you sit there, especially if you are alone as that allows them to position couples side by side, which folk like. Obviously you get the best view from the co-pilot’s seat. The view is particularly magnificent because the cruising altitude is usually about 500 feet (sometime lower).

The passenger facilities at Papa Westray (if they are unchanged) are a wooden hut, a set of bathroom scales for weighing passengers and luggage, and a man with a portable fire extinguisher and a clip-board. That's it.

The flight from Westray to Papa Westray is scheduled for 2 minutes but depending on the wind direction it can be just 30 seconds. Don’t blink as they say. (I think Loganair will flog you a certificate confirming you have made the shortest scheduled flight in the world, if you like that sort of thing).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I think Loganair will flog you a certificate confirming you have made the shortest scheduled flight in the world, if you like that sort of thing).

Isn’t there a special option where you get a miniature of Highland Park as well?

AM9

Veteran Member
Heard this morning that the government has proposed reducing air passenger duty on domestic flights, whilst retaining the current levels on international flights. There is suspicion that the move is to reduce the chances of Scotland moving towards independence. Given that domestic flights are all short haul and having the maximum environmental hit compared to medium/longer flights, like the continuing suspension of the fuel duty escalator, the Conservative administration shows a flaky commitment to its promises on reducing carbon emissions.

najaB

Veteran Member
Given that domestic flights are all short haul and having the maximum environmental hit compared to medium/longer flights, like the continuing suspension of the fuel duty escalator, the Conservative administration shows a flaky commitment to its promises on reducing carbon emissions.
Typical Tory - overpromise and under-deliver. Unless you're a donor, of course.

Swanny200

on a military note, for 2 days, we have had a 70 year old Hawker Hunter fly low level over our house, doing about 4 or 5 loops then going back down the coast to Leeming, nicer than the usual going into Newcastle Airport

Jamesrob637

Established Member
on a military note, for 2 days, we have had a 70 year old Hawker Hunter fly low level over our house, doing about 4 or 5 loops then going back down the coast to Leeming, nicer than the usual going into Newcastle Airport

XE688. Nice livery too.

Swanny200

XE688. Nice livery too.
In all fairness, both Hunters that they possess are in nice liveries, I didn't even realise that they were still being used for aggressor training, they also have an SU22 that they can use for the role too. I did notice the route that they were taking off the coast of Sunderland on the flight radar is similar to the airshow flightline, would be a bit early for Airshow planning.
Was low though about 2200-2500ft over Newcastle and South Tyneside/Sunderland which took me aback at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.