• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Awaiting start with TFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railroader22

I "finished" my training course last Monday. It was meant to be 5 weeks but because of covid it was all crammed into 1 week, then we were sent to our stations. There's a few licences we need to get to be able to do all our CSA2 duties but we don't have those...yet. In the meantime we're just shadowing CSAs at our allocated stations and help out where we can (gateline and such). Uniform wise, there's shortages again because of covid, some got more than others. You might not receive everything you requested so be prepared to wear your own smart clothes.
Annoying that you didn’t get the full experience in trainin, but at least you’re in. Why station or cover group did you get put in? And were you allowed to choose?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Woodsy93

Do you know how many people started yesterday?

I see they have put out for more train mainter jobs, surely that want to start starting the people currently waiting before looking for more people....
I just got an email regarding TM

"We have received notification of a possibility of some vacancies becoming available in the near future on a 12 month fixed term contract, please respond to the below survey to confirm whether these opportunities would be of interest to you."

Anyone else?

Annoying that you didn’t get the full experience in trainin, but at least you’re in. Why station or cover group did you get put in? And were you allowed to choose?
You get allocated a cover group/area and can swap with someone from your course, if it's a mutual agreement.

KingKiev123

What are the days/times of your shift like so far?

Also did they explain how wages would be paid in terms of dates?

Judders

I just got an email regarding TM

"We have received notification of a possibility of some vacancies becoming available in the near future on a 12 month fixed term contract, please respond to the below survey to confirm whether these opportunities would be of interest to you."

Anyone else?
Yeah I got the same thing and replied no to it. I’ve PM’d you

TAW

Yeah I got the same thing and replied no to it. I’ve PM’d you
I got the same email. Do you guys think agreeing to a FTC will effect the possibilities of having a permanent position in the future?

Judders

Im not sure on it to be honest depends how you read it, I read it as though if you get a FTC you will be taken off the list for a permanent role

Last edited:

TAW

Im not sure on it to be honest depends how you read it, I read it as though if you get a FTC you will be taken off the list for a permanent role
I think your right. It’s possible they have too many permanent applicants and are trying to reduce this number by offering FTC’s. But then maybe a FTC is a better foot in the door and a gateway to a permanent position as opposed to the current indefinite waiting list. We shall see, only time will tell.

Woodsy93

I replied yes for now, I called and they said I can change my mind and still wait for permanent, however long that will be no one knows

On the other hand it seems wasteful to invest all the training into someone just to let them go after 12 months?

Tricky one and not enough information available

Last edited:

TAW

I replied yes for now, I called and they said I can change my mind and still wait for permanent, however long that will be no one knows

On the other hand I dont see why they would invest all the training into someone just to let them go after 12 months?

Tricky one and not enough information available
Makes sense, hopefully more information becomes available soon. I replied yes also.

Judders

I think we all need more clarification on this, as when you ring recruitment they have no answers to what is actually going on with anything.

I asked 3-4 question the other day to be told - I don’t know the answer to that to every question

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Operational LU staff are paid every four weeks; the next payday will be Wednesday 5th May, then 2nd June and so on.

What are the days/times of your shift like so far?

Depends on the station needs I guess. Until you get put on the duty sheets you most likely won't have a fixed schedule and come as the CSS needs you. Ideally you'd want to experience all the shifts you'll eventually end up doing (i.e dead earlies, earlies etc.). As CSA2 you won't do any dead lates.

Like Mojo said, you get paid every 4 weeks.

Jellytots898

Can anyone tell me what they had to do at the occupational health appointment? Did they check your height weight eyes etc?

My friend had hers and was finished within 15mins after answering a few questions she's worried she's failed it on something as it said it will take up to 1.5hrs.

Tube driver

If its anything like the age medical then it can be quick depending on how busy they are. You can be hanging around waiting for a particular test but for my medical I was done pretty quickly.

You fill out a few forms and they then check height, weight, eyesight, mobility, hearing and you pee in a cup to check for any nasties and a nurse will have a quick chat to discuss your medical history and whatnot and you’re generally done. If you have a ’normal’ medical history and things are running smoothly you can be in and out pretty quickly.

Jellytots898

If its anything like the age medical then it can be quick depending on how busy they are. You can be hanging around waiting for a particular test but for my medical I was done pretty quickly.

You fill out a few forms and they then check height, weight, eyesight, mobility, hearing and you pee in a cup to check for any nasties and a nurse will have a quick chat to discuss your medical history and whatnot and you’re generally done. If you have a ’normal’ medical history and things are running smoothly you can be in and out pretty quickly.
They didn't do the height weight or anything. I wonder if something on one of the forms she filled out. She has previously worked for tfl as a csa but left for personal reasons.

Lewlew

They didn't do the height weight or anything. I wonder if something on one of the forms she filled out. She has previously worked for tfl as a csa but left for personal reasons.
Her previous medical may have still been valid and just did a medical questionnaire to revalidate it.

Mwc10

Has anyone been contacted and confirmed for any future training dates for CSA 2 position. I have done my medical and attended for ID verification. Currently just waiting for a training date.

Mwc10

Do TfL recruitment call you to confirm training dates or do they email you? I received a unknown number call but didn’t manage to pick it up. Can anyone let me know please. Thank you

Lewlew

Do TfL recruitment call you to confirm training dates or do they email you? I received a unknown number call but didn’t manage to pick it up. Can anyone let me know please. Thank you
They use an unknown number. Usually call back the next day if you miss it

Judders

What position are you awaiting to start?

JemSimms

Hi,
I just want to ask if its ok, how much salary do csa 2 get during the 1 month training? Thank you.
Yes, they do. I didn't pick it up the first time but the next day I did and it was tfl and confirming your start dates and that they will send you forms to complete.

Last edited:

KingKiev123

Hi,
I just want to ask if its ok, how much salary do csa 2 get during the 1 month training? Thank you.

Yes, they do. I didn't pick it up the first time but the next day I did and it was tfl and confirming your start dates and that they will send you forms to complete.
Training salary should be £22068 pro rata .

Status
Not open for further replies.