• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Award-winning design to transform disused Tube tunnels into underground cycle routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

announcements

I do seem to remember reading in an Underground history book along time ago, that many years ago, perhaps in the 1920s & 1930s there was a very limited evening service from northern Piccadilly line stations to and from Aldwych, manly aimed at the theatre audiences. There is or was a second platform at Holborn that allowed these services

You're nearly there. The limited service you speak of would serve theatre-goers, but this ceased as early as 1908. It utilised platform 5 at Holborn before proceding onto the Piccadilly mainline.

Hope this helps!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Re the Charing Cross branch of the Jubilee line. I think there was talk, of the line being extended eastwards under the Strand, to Aldwych and then towards the City. I think this was mooted as the Fleet Line, all being considered when the Bakerloo line was split and what is now know as the Jubilee line was formed.

Certainly. The whole thing was developed as the Fleet Line and was originally to run eastwards from Charing Cross via Fenchurch Street to end up somewhere in SE London (there were probably lots of different options considered). The overrun tunnels beyond Charing Cross actually reach nearly to Aldwych, which I think was going to be the next station. But not close enough to allow an integrated supercyleway all the way from Green Park to Holborn. It was renamed as the Jubilee before it opened.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
You're nearly there. The limited service you speak of would serve theatre-goers, but this ceased as early as 1908. It utilised platform 5 at Holborn before proceding onto the Piccadilly mainline.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, I did not realise that those through services finished as far back as 1908.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Certainly. The whole thing was developed as the Fleet Line and was originally to run eastwards from Charing Cross via Fenchurch Street to end up somewhere in SE London (there were probably lots of different options considered). The overrun tunnels beyond Charing Cross actually reach nearly to Aldwych, which I think was going to be the next station. But not close enough to allow an integrated supercyleway all the way from Green Park to Holborn. It was renamed as the Jubilee before it opened.

Shame the tunnels don't quite reach & join up.

In some ways, it's a pity that the above mentioned Fleet Line did not go ahead, but I guess the JLE and Crossrail, plus LOL extentions party cover the Fleet Line's proposed routes. As will perhaps the Bakerloo line which may be extended beyond E&C. ?

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
In some ways, it's a pity that the above mentioned Fleet Line did not go ahead, but I guess the JLE and Crossrail, plus LOL extentions party cover the Fleet Line's proposed routes. As will perhaps the Bakerloo line which may be extended beyond E&C. ?

I've just dug out the definitive record of the early Fleet line proposal, in the form of a scribble on a Tube map by me at age of approximately 10. This shows a route via Monument, Fenchurch Street, Surrey Docks, New Cross to Lewisham. Much of this is now covered either by the Jubilee Line Extension as built or by the DLR. The big change is obviously the advent of Canary Wharf and the need to get commuters to it from Waterloo and London Bridge.

Dent

The overrun tunnels beyond Charing Cross actually reach nearly to Aldwych, which I think was going to be the next station. But not close enough to allow an integrated supercyleway all the way from Green Park to Holborn.

Another fatal flaw is that the disused tunnel doesn't go to Green Park Station, it terminates at an inaccessible underground junction with the running Jubilee Line tunnel.

The stated plan was to integrate with the tube network by providing access via station platforms. The fact that their business plan was based on a misconception that the disused tunnel terminates at an imaginary disused platform at Green Park Station is a clear sign how badly researched the whole plan is.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The tracks between Green Park and Charing Cross are still maintained and used regularly to turn back services when the JLE is closed.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Another fatal flaw is that the disused tunnel doesn't go to Green Park Station, it terminates at an inaccessible underground junction with the running Jubilee Line tunnel.

The stated plan was to integrate with the tube network by providing access via station platforms. The fact that their business plan was based on a misconception that the disused tunnel terminates at an imaginary disused platform at Green Park Station is a clear sign how badly researched the whole plan is.

I think we have quite enough fatal flaws in this scheme to be going on with. The only award it should have won is one for stupidity.

tranzitjim

What is the status of the tracks used by 'Northern and City' railway into Morgate?

Could we rebuild that to divert some Victoria line trains via that way?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
What is the status of the tracks used by 'Northern and City' railway into Morgate?

They were, and may still be, blocked at the Farringdon end by a Crossrail worksite. There's a plan to use them for stabling sub-surface stock and various ideas such as extending the DLR to Farringdon. I'm not sure how building a branch off the Victoria would help, as that line is already pretty busy so probably couldn't take the extra business, and the general trend is to avoid junctions on Underground lines where possible.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
These 'award-winning' plans (awarded by whom exactly?) remind me of Cornwall Council's creation at great expense of a bit of cycleway about 200 yards long at Marazion, to connect one bit of open (and dangerous) road with another. Consequence? The cyclists in the main carry on using the existing road and every so often the council workmen come and clear the cycleway of weeds,etc!

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...

They were, and may still be, blocked at the Farringdon end by a Crossrail worksite.
I assume that tranzitjim was talking about the Northern City Line - which is currently in use by Great Northern(?) and not disused rather than the former Thameslink route along the City Widened Lines from Farringdon to Moorgate. (Just a guess given the name given and that the NCL would be an easier addition to the Victoria Line than the CWL would be, not that either is practical nor necessary!) It appears that its absence from the Tube Map has put this line into obscurity!

paul332

This is a great idea, for which Gensler is to be highly commended - clearly a company with insight and vision. Get cyclists off the roads and pavements where they are in constant conflict with other users, respectively getting killed by lorries and knocking down old persons, breathing noxious fumes and generally causing nuisance to themselves and others. What does it matter that the only available tunnels are still (irregularly) used by trains and have no connections to street at the ends, or to each other? Minor problem, easily solved - the cyclists just cycle up and down the platforms! Stopping occasionally for refreshment at the pop-up cafes. Then catch the next train to their destination, leaving their bikes in specially Gensler-designed racks. Except the only available platforms are Holborn (Aldwych branch) and Aldwych. With no train service from Aldwych. Ah well, they can walk to Temple. Or catch a bus. Or stay down there running cafes and maintaining bikes.

HilversumNS

Am I the only one who sees lines like this:

Design company Gensler won an award for its concept using "an untapped surplus of disused space".

and starts wondering WHAT the award was, and if it was anything recognised as being worth winning?

I could say I won an award while I was at school, but that would be over-selling my Blue Peter badge.

It does get the company lots of media exposure though, which I suspect was the whole idea in the 1st place. Clearly they didn't bother to canvas the views of London's cyclists, as it has been shown in this thread that this has zero positive impact for them. It will please the many car drivers though who resent the cyclists.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Only for people on miniature cycles. Or perhaps miniature people on full-sized cycles.

Maybe a bit tight for the taller but more space than if it was converted to passenger trains then that would be restricting it to Ken Dodd's Diddymen and the Oopah-Loompahs (though the latter would make for a cheap labour force).

Status
Not open for further replies.