• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AWC advances overnight hike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leisurefirst

Hi,
Been waiting weeks for advances for this Saturday from Euston to Glasgow Central to go on sale.
When they finally did a few days ago they were £64 for a pair with a railcard.
Held off in case new Covid restrictions meant we couldn't go.
Didn't get around to booking last night and even though all the first few trains were £64 and with "plenty of seats left at this price" etc. they are all now £74.60.
Even sites that initially show £64 say unavailable when you try to buy.
They obviously haven't sold out so why the sneaky price hike?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
The quota for those lower price fares could have been withdrawn? Why is it obviously not sold out?

Leisurefirst

The quota for those lower price fares could have been withdrawn? Why is it obviously not sold out?
Why is it obviously not sold out?
I'd hazard a guess at IIRC every direct morning train being at the lower prices with according to Trainsplit "plenty of seats left at this price" for the last three days including last thing last night/early morning and now every direct morning train now at the higher price.
Unless there was a sudden rush to go to all those family gatherings, football matches and concerts this Saturday.

Starmill

Veteran Member
'plenty of seats left' could mean only 10 tickets. Doesn't take much for 10 bookings to be made? Could be on any journey on that service!

Of course, there's no guarantee any bookings at all were made. Avanti could have just decided to take some of the quota off sale after receiving updated forecasts. They could also have set it to expire in advance of the date of travel.

£74.50 is cheaper than an Off Peak Single at £105.70, so surely you'd just book?

Leisurefirst

Thank you Starmill.
I've been pretty much obsessively watching these fares for the last few days.
Not a single train has declined in available seats so it looks like they just made a decision to raise the price at a particular time.

Last edited:

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Thank you Starmill.
I've been pretty much obsessively watching these fares for the last few days.
Not a single train has declined in available seats so it looks like they just made a decision to raise the price at a particular time.
Theres a book by the Soutwest airlines founder that may be worth a read, a great introduction to yield management.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi,
Been waiting weeks for advances for this Saturday from Euston to Glasgow Central to go on sale.
When they finally did a few days ago they were £64 for a pair with a railcard.
Held off in case new Covid restrictions meant we couldn't go.
Didn't get around to booking last night and even though all the first few trains were £64 and with "plenty of seats left at this price" etc. they are all now £74.60.
Even sites that initially show £64 say unavailable when you try to buy.
They obviously haven't sold out so why the sneaky price hike?
What time on Saturday?

Trainsplit offers £46.20 (for 2 with Railcards) on the 0720 changing at Milton Keynes & Crewe, if that's any good? It's a slower journey but may be worth considering.

Last edited:

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Maybe as part of the new contractual agreement with the government there has been a directive to increase yields through withdrawing the lowest price fares. Given Monday was the first working day, (and indeed the day it was announced) it could be that was when they were implemented.

Leisurefirst

What time on Saturday?

Trainsplit offers £46.20 (for 2 with Railcards) on the 0720 changing at Milton Keynes & Crewe, if that's any good? It's a slower journey but may be worth considering.
Thank you yorkie, suggestion most appreciated.
Need really to be on the 06.05 I'm afraid.
I did consider this one though, thanks.
BTW, I find this another odd one.
Originally this was on the AWC site (but at 07.33 changing only at Crewe) and was still there Weds afternoon when I posted but disappeared not long after IIRC.
Why does Trainsplit now show it as 07.20 changing twice (not a split ticket) and Raileasy still has it as 07.33 changing Crewe only!!!???

Haywain

Veteran Member
Why does Trainsplit now show it as 07.20 changing twice (not a split ticket) and Raileasy still has it as 07.33 changing Crewe only!!!???
That's a strange one - other sites also show the 07:33 option, but Trainsplit only shows that when advanced options are used for the search (max 1 change at Crewe). Maybe one for @SickyNicky to answer?

alistairlees

Established Member
Maybe as part of the new contractual agreement with the government there has been a directive to increase yields through withdrawing the lowest price fares. Given Monday was the first working day, (and indeed the day it was announced) it could be that was when they were implemented.
I don't think that's what has happened. That would require quite a lot of co-ordination.

Status
Not open for further replies.