• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bakerloo line: an embarrassment to London?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jumble

London is a world city, and has a world class transport system, the tube lines are mostly modern and efficient transport systems.

Then we come to the Bakerloo line, which tbh is in a shocking state, almost like a run down eastern European metro. With old clapped out trains with dirty run down stations.
Tonight on my train from Oxford Circus, half the interior lights weren't working. Plus the state of the paintwork of the paintwork of the train was very tatty.

These trains are in desperate need of replacement and the stations in need of a proper refurbishment

Had a ride yesterday from Harrow to Queens Park followed by QP to Euston on a 710 to contrast
1972 Contractors Click and Clunk 710 Nice and quiet
However I think Transverse seating is much nicer

apinnard

All the Bakerloo trains I have been on recently seem to have at least one lazy door per carriage.

The sort of door where one half will close normally, yet the other half will painfully limp like a frail old man before literally banging shut with such a racket it could wake the dead.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
All the Bakerloo trains I have been on recently seem to have at least one lazy door per carriage.

The sort of door where one half will close normally, yet the other half will painfully limp like a frail old man before literally banging shut with such a racket it could wake the dead.

It's called "characterful".

simple simon

I was on the Bakerloo line recently and whilst some of the lights were not working it was nothing serious. These are probably the only remaining trains where some lights go off whilst traversing complicated pointwork - at one time all trains were like this!

I thought that these trains are being re-lamped, using LED lights which offer a cleaner brighter light as well as longer life, less power consumption and less maintenance. Therefore even with the expected short remaining lifespan of the trains the conversion will be cost effective.

Wasn't one of the other suggestions to split the Northern Line, buy new NTfL trains for one branch, and use the 95s to improve the other branch and Jubilee? The 95s and 96s aren't the same, but clearly related

I remember reading about this proposal. When the Battersea extension opens the split might still happen, but only in so far as only CX trains go to Battersea and only Bank trains go to Morden. Both routes will still serve the remaining sections of both northern branches.

Dstock7080

Established Member
I thought that these trains are being re-lamped, using LED lights which offer a cleaner brighter light as well as longer life, less power consumption and less maintenance.
One unit has already been fitted with LED lighting, the others will follow with the second stage of refurbishment work including wheelchair spaces.

I remember reading about this proposal. When the Battersea extension opens the split might still happen, but only in so far as only CX trains go to Battersea and only Bank trains go to Morden. Both routes will still serve the remaining sections of both northern branches.
It is currently not possible for a train using Kensington loop to go to Bank, therefore the arrangement will stay the same when services are extended to Battersea Power Station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

One thing I've found noticeable about Tube trains is that the door leaves move independently, whereas on mainline sliding door stock (even older stock like the PEPs) they move together. Any reason I wonder?

CBlue

One thing I've found noticeable about Tube trains is that the door leaves move independently, whereas on mainline sliding door stock (even older stock like the PEPs) they move together. Any reason I wonder?

Probably some compromise in the door mechanisms to fit within the tunnel gauge. Don't remember any of the 1990s tube stock or newer doing it though.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Individual pneumatic door engines for each leaf, except 1973 Stock which have two leaves per engine and 2009 & S Stock which are electrically operated.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not leaves in the same doorway though!
Indeed, and when the other door is let to close they can both come to close with a lot of force (with no chimes either!)

I have investigated quite a few incidents of people becoming struck or trapped in such a manner or just people reporting several doors remaining open.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
One unit has already been fitted with LED lighting, the others will follow with the second stage of refurbishment work including wheelchair spaces.

It is currently not possible for a train using Kensington loop to go to Bank, therefore the arrangement will stay the same when services are extended to Battersea Power Station.

Not only "currently" - the tunnel pattern at Kennington [sic] is such that the Battersea extension can only ever run to and from the ChX branch. Though of course some ChX services might continue to Morden along with virtually all the Bank ones [Bank ones can reverse at Kennington, though not via the loop], like they (the ChX ones) do now at times. But none of this has relevance to the oft-suggested Camden Town service split. (Which, personally, I'm pleased about; I wouldn't like there not to be all combinations going through CT.)

Status
Not open for further replies.