• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barcelona (Franca Station) - Train Crashes Into Buffers - 48 People Injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...rash-latest-news-Franca-station-injured-Spain

AT LEAST 48 people have been injured after a rush-hour train ploughed into metal barriers at a station in Barcelona.

Many injured as train ploughs into station in Barcelona

The crash took place at the station of Franca in the Barcelona suburbs at approximately 7:15am (local time).

Eighteen people have been rushed to hospital after the smash left at least 48 people injured, while five are thought to be in a serious condition.

The train smashed into the end of the track at the busy station.

From the looks of the damage in the photos it seems like it must have been going reasonably fast when it hit the buffers. Do they have an equivalent over there of the TPWS overspeed loops?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daikilo

Established Member
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...rash-latest-news-Franca-station-injured-Spain

From the looks of the damage in the photos it seems like it must have been going reasonably fast when it hit the buffers. Do they have an equivalent over there of the TPWS overspeed loops?

I doubt that as the nose damage appears to have been mainly caused by the buffer stops contacting the bodywork and pushing it outward. Looks like a CAF Civia. I guess many of injured would have been standing ready to disembark.

duesselmartin

Established Member
I doubt that as the nose damage appears to have been mainly caused by the buffer stops contacting the bodywork and pushing it outward. Looks like a CAF Civia. I guess many of injured would have been standing ready to disembark.

How crowded are these trains? I assume its a communter-type train?

2HAP

It appears to be a RENFE Class 465. It was a commuter service, many people were standing when the train hit the buffers. Total 54 injured, 5 seriously.

Last edited:

jonathan01n

This gives me some impression of the Moorgate disaster. Is the driver fainted or using a mobile ? Or a mechanical fault? I think a detailed investigation must be conducted promptly to establish the reason of the crash. I hope the injured can have a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

2HAP

The Administrador de Infraestructuras Ferroviarias and Comisión de Investigación de Accidentes Ferroviarios are investigating.

physics34

Established Member
This gives me some impression of the Moorgate disaster. Is the driver fainted or using a mobile ? Or a mechanical fault? I think a detailed investigation must be conducted promptly to establish the reason of the crash. I hope the injured can have a speedy recovery.

also couldve fallen asleep, brake failure, misjudgement......

2HAP

El País has video of the accident.

https://cat.elpais.com/cat/2017/07/29/catalunya/1501321388_169749.html

Les càmeres de seguretat de l'estació de França de Barcelona van recollir el moment en què un tren de Rodalies de la línia R2 procedent de Sant Vicenç de Calders va xocar contra el topall del final de la via. L'accident va passar a les 7.15 del matí de divendres i va provocar 56 ferits, dels quals tres en estat greu, 19 menys greus, entre ells el maquinista, i 36 de lleus. El conductor va donar negatiu en el control d'alcohol i drogues. Ara s'investiguen les dades de la caixa negra de la màquina i s'interroga al conductor per esbrinar les causes de l'accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.