• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barrowjack - Back on the Tracks!

barrowjack

28th April 2022.

Not usually the sort of day I would consider writing about, but this was my first rail trip since 9th March 2020, a grand total of 780 days. I had been considering going somewhere for a while but knew I didn’t want to go to a big city or spend much time on trains. In the end decided on Wigan. Whilst i could have bought a service specific ticket, I decided on an off peak return (purchased from the Northern website) to give me the flexibility of changing trains if they were too busy or I felt uncomfortable. With great trepidation I headed to the station, suppose it was inevitable that my highest mileage 195 by far would be provided for my first trip. Presumably because I was early the off-peak would not let me through and despite having the printed schedule with my ticket the gate operator took some convincing it was valid. Eventually letting me through but telling me to make sure next time I buy a peak time ticket!

195114 08:46 Barrow in Furness – Preston.

Got off at Preston mainly for fresh air and coffee (McDonalds), a quick check of RTT had shown that none of my unrecorded 221’s were following, so I gave the red pen some exercise (it still worked!)

331028 / 331010 11:31 Preston - Wigan North Western

So this may seem a strange destination, but there was a purpose There was Professional Development League under 23 football at the DW Stadium so I headed down on foot arriving about ten minutes before kick-off.

Wigan Athletic U23 2 Swansea City U23 2

Consulting RTT during the match I discovered my planned return train home was cancelled so change of plan,

195129 15:21 Wigan North Western - Lancaster

156482 16:12 Lancaster - Barrow in Furness

This only word for this service was awful. What would be the previous service an hour before no longer runs, the one after was cancelled which meant this was the only service to Barrow in a 4 hour window. It is also the school train. Absolutely wedged right though, didn’t feel comfortable at all but didn’t fancy a 2 hour wait for what would probably be similar conditions.

Anyhow, first trip done, let’s hope it isn’t another 780 days until the next one!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Other than that busy 156 at the end with the school kids, agreed about not worth waiting 2 hours as the next one will probably be just as bad

barrowjack

13th June 2022
Heading to London for a work conference, not my ideal choice for first proper trip away in 2 1/2 years but too good an opportunity to turn down.

Unable to book a seat on the 10:38 from Lancaster due to it being fully reserved, my original intention was to take the 08:49 to Preston changing here for Crewe and then Euston. However at departure time, the unit was still in the sidings (How?) eventually leaving just before 9:00 meaning the Preston connection wouldn’t be made. Therefore i had to take my chance on what was the 10:38 from Lancaster finding a seat surprisingly easily in Coach U without company for the whole journey. .

195105 Barrow In Furness - Preston
390132 Preston – Euston

After checking in at the hotel, and somewhat later than I had hoped I headed over to St Pancras International, purchasing a zone 1-4 travel card (decided this was much easier than Oyster given some of the moves I was intending to do even though more expensive). Whilst not wanting to spend too much time on the train, I had two targets in mind for the afternoon

Even though it was dud I took the first service to Farringdon as there was a lot I wanted to do and I had a “fixed” appointment in Stratford around 16:10!

700144 St Pancras International – Farringdon

Obviously Target Number 1 was the Elizabeth line, heading west to Paddington

345049 Farringdon (Crossrail) - Tottenham Court Road
345069 Tottenham Court Road - Paddington (Crossrail)

From the recent TV programme, this was the problem child unit but no issues today. On arrival I headed upstairs to see the station itself. The glass roof is impressive, just wonder how long it will stay clean for! Without knowing the exact diagrams I then headed east, to be met by an old friend (With hindsight I should have waited 5 minutes for the next one but wasn’t sure of timings as it was now 15:20

345069 Paddington (Crossrail) - Liverpool Street (Crossrail)

I had read that it was a fair walk up to the main station so I was pleased I had plenty of time! Heading to Stratford I wanted anything but another 345, and in the absence of anything more suitable (like a 321) I took the first service as it was a double unit.

720542 / 720572 Liverpool Street – Stratford

From there it was only a short wait for target number 2 to emerge. Typically the leading unit was the only one of those remaining I didn’t require.

315838 / 315853 Stratford - Liverpool Street (Sat in the motor coach of 853)

IMG20220613161137.jpg
315838 arriving Stratford

With the limited time I had available I decided to go for this endangered species as I probably won’t get another chance to have one, whereas I may do with the 317, 321 and 455’s.

Back to the Elizabeth line as I then needed to make my way to London Bridge to meet a friend

345028 Liverpool Street (Crossrail) - Farringdon (Crossrail)
700026 Farringdon - Blackfriars
700053 Blackfriars - London Bridge

Afterwards, I headed p to Central London for food and supplies, obviously taking the scenic route back to St Pancras!

466036 / 465020 /465171 London Bridge - Charing Cross
465031 / 465182 Charing Cross - Waterloo East
(Well, I think this was 182, I wrote it down as 102 which obviously it couldn’t be)
465002 / 465009 /466006 London Bridge - Charing Cross
700015 London Bridge - Blackfriars
700125 Blackfriars - St Pancras International

14th June 2022
All of today was spent at a conference near the Tower so no scope to do a great deal, not that I would have anyway as yesterday was enough. With huge trepidation as I was expecting it to be crowded, I had to take the tube. In the event, it was virtually empty at 07:45!

21490 / 21489 King's Cross St. Pancras - Aldgate East

After the conference a walk was in order so I headed for London Bridge via the Tower and bridge, avoiding the crowds going in the opposite direction

700001 London Bridge - Blackfriars
700045 Blackfriars - St Pancras International

As I needed food, and as the tube that morning was nowhere near as bad as I expected instead of the scenic route I took the tube. First up was a winner so as I am down to my last dozen Piccadilly line half sets I couldn’t refuse, returning the same way later on.
100 / 857 King's Cross St. Pancras - Leicester Square
885 / 178 Leicester Square - King's Cross St. Pancras

15th June 2022
I had until mid afternoon in London, so started by exploring the Elizabeth line again, this time heading east.

700133 St Pancras International - Farringdon
345061 Farringdon (Crossrail) - Whitechapel (Crossrail)
345011 Whitechapel (Crossrail) - Custom House
P1130990.JPG
Custon House

Alighted here as I knew it was above ground, and as it was the first time I had been here had a wander around, watching a few aircraft on the decent into City airport. As I wanted to look at Canary Wharf station above ground, i headed back there via the DLR

150 / 142 / 122 Custom House - Poplar
41 / 24 / 40 Poplar - West India Quay

From here, I walked over to the Crossrail station, firstly going up to view the roof garden which is pretty impressive.

P1140069.JPG
Roof Garden at Canary Wharf Crossrail

345022 Canary Wharf - Whitechapel (Crossrail)
345030 Whitechapel (Crossrail) - Farringdon
700124 Farringdon – Blackfriars

I walked from here along South Bank to Leicester Square via Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden instead before heading home. (With a Pret stop. Have missed Pret!)

247 / 214 Leicester Square - King's Cross St. Pancras
390131 Euston - Lancaster
156479 Lancaster – Barrow In Furness

So there it is my first trip away since October 2019. Overall 31 winners, 1 new class, and 8 new shacks.

Last edited:

barrowjack

Yikes to the overcrowding, but that's great news on your return to the rails :D

Thank you, I usually try to avoid that particular train at all costs as it is just awful!

Other than that busy 156 at the end with the school kids, agreed about not worth waiting 2 hours as the next one will probably be just as bad

Definitely, managing to run just 1 train in 4 hours just isn't good enough

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nice work on a rather successful time in London :D I hear you with missing Pret, oh my first visit after lockdowns was awesome! For a first major trip in such a long time, that was pretty decent and it must have felt great to be out and about again! I note some concerns over crowding on trains, and I think that's pretty sensible, based on my observations of the great unwashed.

Hopefully it won't be too much longer until you get to go on another adventure!

barrowjack

Wednesday 13th July 2022

Heading off to unchartered territory for me, I arrived at Barrow station for the 08:49 to Manc... – oh hang on CANCELLED! Checking my options I was told to go on the all shacks to Lancaster rail replacement bus service. Looking at the timings (this was booked for 2 hours 10 minutes without traffic delays), so after confirming I was valid on the next train it was “No thank you” to the bus and I decided to spend the additional 70 minute wait wisely and headed to McDonalds for coffee. Heading back for the 09:58 156484 took me around the bay to Lancaster to await the 11:28 TPE to Manchester Piccadilly showing as running 5 minutes late. With the delay meaning a 90 minute late arrival at my destination and the days plan out of the window, if this service got any later the Piccadilly change was going to be tight and I really didn’t want to be any later!

Anyway remember the bus? At 11:30, just as 397009 arrived, there was a surge of people rushing onto the station from Platform 3, where the Barrow bus had just arrived and dropped off. So it ended up taking 2 hours 40 minutes for what is a 1 hour rail journey. Totally horrendous. If the TPE hadn’t been 5 down then it would have missed this, and with the Euston cancelled the next south would have been the 12:29 for them had they not made this.

Fortunately, no further dramas on the journey to Manchester, and having reviewed options decided to change at Oxford Road for a same platform change thinking it would be quieter than Piccadilly. This plan was thwarted when the preceding Northern service “sat down” on Platform 4, so being positioned at what would be the front of train, I ended up having a mad dash over to platform 2 for 158785 / 158852 on the Norwich service which I would be taking as far as Sheffield. Having last passed through Sheffield on 24th July 1987 when I arrived from Derby with 43108 / 43072 and straight out again behind 31435 to Piccadilly, I had never actually exited the station here! However, this was about to change as Sheffield would be Trip HQ for the next two nights. The only bonus of being so late was picking up the 3 winners rather than the expected duds.

Exiting to the Supertram station, tram 118 became my first SYT in the book taken to Cathedral. One of the main aims was to red pen as many of the 20x trams, so as planned (399)207 was on the next tram-train so I took this back to Castle Square before checking in at the hotel (Premier Inn Angel Street). Next to no mileage but still a red line! Originally the plan here was to spend up to an hour linear leaping the trams between Fitzalan Square and Cathedral as I figured this would enable me to red pen most of the tram fleet working that day without duplication, but the late arrival scuppered that leaving time to only pick up 101 and (399)201 before taking 109 to Granville Square. From here I made the short walk to Bramall Lane Stadium for the Women’s football. As I passed Castle Square on the way back to the hotel, (399)204 was arriving on the other tram-train diagram. Figuring that this could be the only opportunity I might have to bag this one I leapt on to Cathedral, for 112 back.

Thursday 14th July 2022.
An early start found me taking 399(206) to Sheffield Station for the 09:00 St Pancras service formed of 222021 (the first 222 in my book) which I would be taking to Loughborough. I had worked out that it was a 20 minute walk from here to the Great Central Railway so all being well I could make the 10:15 departure. However, a late running cross country service meant an 8 minute delay with arrival at Loughborough at 10:00. However, on exciting a Plan B suddenly became available so it was into a taxi and a drive to the GCR. Originally the GCR had advertised 9F 92214 and 37714 as the weeks locos, however by the Thursday the 37 had been reliance by Class 25, D5185 which was forming the 10:15 to Leicester North. At Rothley I heard one of the station staff say to another that 2 passengers had just got on and doubled the number of people on the train!! After the run round at Leicester, I took this back to Quorn and Woodhouse. That was enough diesel action for one day time for some steam. Disappointingly the 9F had also been replaced today by Class 5 73156, down to Leicester North before returning to Loughborough. On arrival it transpired this had caused a trackside fire near Quorn, resulting in delays to later services. 73156 was still sat in Loughborough when I left some 20 minutes after its scheduled departure south. (Has anyone got the mileages for the GCR please? There used to be a site with these on but the link says it is now unavailable)

P1140426.JPG P1140504.JPG
D5185 at Leicester Nth 73156 at Loughborough GCR

This time it was a leisurely walk back to the main line station arriving in plenty of time for the 13:48 back to Sheffield with 222013 doing the honours. With a siesta now needed it was back to the hotel bagging trams 125 to Fitzalan Square and for 116 to Castle Square. The football that night was at the New York Stadium in Rotherham, so after tea at McDonalds trams 104, 110, 106, 125 (again) and 112 were duly red penned whilst waiting for the 18:00 Tram-Train to Rotherham Central which I already knew would be (399)203. This was the 5th of the 7 Tram Trains scored, the 2 still required being noted on Nunnery depot en-route to Rotherham. The ten added minutes at the end of the football meant it was a run back to Rotherham Central, only making (399)204 because a kind member of station staff stood in the open tram doorway as I dashed along the platform before collapsing into the first available seat taking the full half hour back to Castle Square to recover!!!

Friday 15th July 2022
Friday morning was ,much more leisurely and after checking that the service home from Manchester was actually running, a leisurely morning was spent in Sheffield with time still to score trams 114, 124 113, and 103 before a miscalculation meant missing out on two further winners, ending up taking dud 106 back to Sheffield Station. Still I had scored 18 out of the 32 Sheffield trams over the two days so not too bad and leaving something to do when I am there for the World Snooker Championship's next April. From there it was dud all the way, 185126 from Sheffield to Manchester Piccadilly where i had enough time to walk down to the Pret at Piccadilly Gardens for coffee before 195109 took brought me back to Barrow and home

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Despite the significant issues on the outward journey (but yay for scoring two unexpected winners!) you certainly did really well there! Plenty of scores in Sheffield, I'd recommend doing the lines out west on Supertram when you next go there, some pretty significant gradients to add to the fun. I don't remember if you are one of those on the forum who does Spoons or not, if you are then the Hilsborough stop is next to a Spoons. Plus it's just a nice journey in general!

barrowjack

A good few days for your little red pen :)
This si only the third time I have been off anywhere since February 2020 so was just good to be out and about again
Despite the significant issues on the outward journey (but yay for scoring two unexpected winners!) you certainly did really well there! Plenty of scores in Sheffield, I'd recommend doing the lines out west on Supertram when you next go there, some pretty significant gradients to add to the fun. I don't remember if you are one of those on the forum who does Spoons or not, if you are then the Hilsborough stop is next to a Spoons. Plus it's just a nice journey in general!
Hopefully delay repay will provide me with a ticket for another day out! Don't do spoons but will remember that about Sheffield Supertram for next time.

Next week I have 30 hours in Birmingham for the Commonwealth Games. However with 3 events to fit in (and contemplating a fourth) there won't be much time for anything even sleep! However, I didn't realise the new tram extension went down Broad Street which is a bonus as I am staying in that street so hopefully a few more new trams will find their way into the book!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ooh you're going to the Games as well! I'm at a few events, and like yourself I'd like to do some more but money is beyond tight right now and I have to fit everything in around work. I'm at the opening and closing ceremonies, the first morning of swimming (not my choice but the family wanted to go), two athletics events and an evening of women's cricket. I'd have gone to a cycling event, but when I applied for tickets I didn't get any. I've been told since then there are some available, but I can't afford them now anyway.

Every 12 minutes right now on the extension of Midland Metro, or at least it was last week, no doubt it'll be upped as much as possible for the Games.

I didn't think you were a Spoons ticker, thanks for clarifying that :) I'd also recommend more of Supertram, but to be honest I don't remember much of anything exciting on the Halfway or Rotherham lines to really recommend. Hopefully you'll get to go on another adventure soon! I too have a Delay Repay claim being paid out, but it's only covering most of one of my trips to Birmingham for the Games. At least it's going to be useful!

Some time in August I expect I'll be back out on a red pen session, and I hope you'll have a great time at the Games!

barrowjack

Ooh you're going to the Games as well! I'm at a few events, and like yourself I'd like to do some more but money is beyond tight right now and I have to fit everything in around work. I'm at the opening and closing ceremonies, the first morning of swimming (not my choice but the family wanted to go), two athletics events and an evening of women's cricket. I'd have gone to a cycling event, but when I applied for tickets I didn't get any. I've been told since then there are some available, but I can't afford them now anyway.

Every 12 minutes right now on the extension of Midland Metro, or at least it was last week, no doubt it'll be upped as much as possible for the Games.

I didn't think you were a Spoons ticker, thanks for clarifying that :) I'd also recommend more of Supertram, but to be honest I don't remember much of anything exciting on the Halfway or Rotherham lines to really recommend. Hopefully you'll get to go on another adventure soon! I too have a Delay Repay claim being paid out, but it's only covering most of one of my trips to Birmingham for the Games. At least it's going to be useful!

Some time in August I expect I'll be back out on a red pen session, and I hope you'll have a great time at the Games!

I am heading down Monday 1st, contemplating trying to see something that afternoon, then Hockey at night. Tuesday Athletics in the morning and 3x3 basketball in the afternoon then home. Left it too late really to do much more plus by the time I decided to go for it the hotel prices were ridiculous and I couldn't justify anything else. The Monday was the only night I could find reasonablish cost accommodation.

I think (hope) you will be surprised and enjoy the swimming. I was unsure when I first went but the atmosphere is amazing especially if you get some close racing. Would have loved to have seen the swimming but alas not to be this time. I would have gone to the cricket too but Monday is the rest day!

You may already know, Glasgow has the World cycling championships in August 2023, and London has the UCI Champions League cycling at the beginning of December ( https://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/whats-on/events/2022/12/uci-track-champions-league. )

I rarely drink, find the food at Spoons so hit and miss I am always disappointed and coffee wise Pret or McDonalds are the first choices so I no longer bother with them

Hope you have a great time at the games too

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks! I didn't know about the London event, I'll have to investigate that. My sister told me months back about the Glasgow one and I am absolutely planning to go there. She wants to go as well, which did surprise me.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised by the swimming, it could be quite good. It sounds like you have a nice mix of events, I'm only going to the cricket because it was a bargain at £15 and I just fancied something different. Generally I don't do ball sports, but cricket is a bit more 'upmarket' than football etc, so it might be interesting. I also feel it's rather important to support women's sports, they have some amazing and talented stars. The cycling world has some fantastic female cyclists, always an excellent show and it's good to see they're getting recognised for their talents more and more.

I'm with you on the drink, I've been tee-total for a rather decent amount of time and find it just bizarre entering a pub these days. I'm not so with you though on coffee, I do like Pret coffee. McDonald's coffee too, but unable to break ethics to buy their coffee!

I'm in Birmingham on 3rd August, the day after you leave, otherwise I'd have suggested meeting to put a face to the name and so on. Hopefully your journey to/from the Midlands might well produce a few scores, to the best of my knowledge the highest numbered tram in service is 45 but that could easily change before too long. I'll be keeping an eye out, just in case!

barrowjack

Thanks! I didn't know about the London event, I'll have to investigate that. My sister told me months back about the Glasgow one and I am absolutely planning to go there. She wants to go as well, which did surprise me.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised by the swimming, it could be quite good. It sounds like you have a nice mix of events, I'm only going to the cricket because it was a bargain at £15 and I just fancied something different. Generally I don't do ball sports, but cricket is a bit more 'upmarket' than football etc, so it might be interesting. I also feel it's rather important to support women's sports, they have some amazing and talented stars. The cycling world has some fantastic female cyclists, always an excellent show and it's good to see they're getting recognised for their talents more and more.

I'm with you on the drink, I've been tee-total for a rather decent amount of time and find it just bizarre entering a pub these days. I'm not so with you though on coffee, I do like Pret coffee. McDonald's coffee too, but unable to break ethics to buy their coffee!

I'm in Birmingham on 3rd August, the day after you leave, otherwise I'd have suggested meeting to put a face to the name and so on. Hopefully your journey to/from the Midlands might well produce a few scores, to the best of my knowledge the highest numbered tram in service is 45 but that could easily change before too long. I'll be keeping an eye out, just in case!
Hope you enjoyed the swimming and the rest of the Games events! I went to some of the Women's Euro football and it was much better than some of the men's games. Hopefully I will also be going to the cycling in Glasgow so maybe then if we are there at the same time.

Commonwealth Games 2022 - Birmingham

Monday 1st August 2022

Having left it late to book, the extortionate cost of accommodation in Birmingham meant this trip would just be 1 night and with only 30 hours in Birmingham and 3 Games events it was going to be busy! On this trip, transport would be purely used to get from A to B as quickly as possible to pack in as much as I could. Such a short trip also meant an early start so for the first time since February 2020 I was up well before 6am!

As the Northern service from Barrow had recently been poor at best, I decided to take an earlier than necessary train to ensure making the connection at Lancaster so it was aboard the 07:09 to Lancaster with the first winner of the trip 195110 doing the honours. At Lancaster I 50 minutes to wait so a much needed coffee was sourced and after watching the following Barrow service pass, it was onto 390046 for the journey to Birmingham New Street, arriving just after 11.

First job was to drop off my bag at the hotel and conveniently Tram 37 was arriving at Grand Central as I left the station so this was taken to Brindley Place on Broad Street.

So when I said I had no time for much else that wasn’t strictly true. Bag left, I wandered back through the city and along New Street, eventually arriving at Birmingham Moor Street station. To date I have nothing Chiltern in the book, certainly no class 68's and this needed rectifying! The original plan was to take the 12:55 to Warwick Parkway for the other 68 diagram back, but time didn’t allow so in the end I just took this to Solihull with 68015 doing the honours, shoving 82304 leading the set. At Solihull I had a choice so after flagging the WMT172 a couple of minutes later 168005 doubled my Chiltern numbers taking this back to Birmingham Snow Hill.

P1140743.JPG P1140773.JPG
68015 at Moor Street Perry the Bull

Back to the tram for No 18 between Bull Street and Corporation Street and after food No 43 back to Brindley Place to check into Trip HQ.

Time for the first games event, so after tram 22 back to Grand Central I was left with a choice of services at New Street eventually going for the first departure formed of 172004 /172001 on the 17:20 to Hereford, taking just over 11 minutes to crawl the 2 miles to University and a walk to the Hockey venue. At the start of the second game the heavens opened, at half time I decided enough was enough and headed back to University and 323206 / 323208 to New Street At this point and extremely soggy I was pleased to see Tram 18 from earlier to take me back to Trip HQ to dry out!

P1140815.JPG
Old Joe

Tuesday 2nd August 2022

With an early start needed, I had checked out of the hotel by 07:30, and with no tram scheduled for 20 minutes decided it was quicker to walk back to New Street picking up coffee on the way. The mornings event was Athletics at the Alexander Stadium. First available train was the 08:20 to Walsall, so it was aboard 350246 to Perry Barr and a much longer than anticipated walk to the stadium. After the event, rather than walk back to the station, I decided it would be quicker to take the shuttle bus back so I joined the fast moving snake and was soon on the move and probably back in the city centre in about the same time as it would have taken just to get back to Perry Barr. For those interested it was a Stagecoach double decker 10499, usually found in Peterborough and I also noted one from the East coast of Scotland as I got off. What was noticeable was the number of people photographing the buses on the route back.

P1140909.JPG
Alexander Stadium

After more fast food (No time for proper food) and the final event the 3 x 3 Basketball at Smithfield all too soon it was time to head home via Pret of course.. Whilst I was hoping for one of my unrecorded 221’s I was out of luck with 221104 / 221110 but on arrival at Preston was just pleased it had actually run as the Avanti timetable had completely collapsed. After a short wait 195104 brought me back to Barrow after a very hectic 30 hours.

Certainly Birmingham is still one of my least favourite places, and the metro was a huge disappointment. Having used both Manchester and Sheffield trans recently, the 12 minute (though on several occasions I noted the gap was up to 25 minutes) was woefully inadequate certainly while the games are on and in the day they were totally wedged. They also seemed to be fairly pedestrian and I think I could actually walk quicker! On one occasion at Bull Street a number of passengers were left behind the tram was so full. That aside the games were really good.

Kite159

Veteran Member
What was noticeable was the number of people photographing the buses on the route back.

It must be like hitting the jackpot for any Birmingham area bus spotters, all the buses drafted in from all parts of the country.

Remember the Metro is on a reduced service due to not having that many trams available for use, due to the door frame cracks (CAF quality for you).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow that was an action packed 30 hours for you! I hope your hotel was better than mine was last night. I booked Hylands Hotel in Coventry, I don't have time tonight to talk about it but that place was seriously bad.

You clearly had a brilliant time all in, a nice mix of events although the wet stuff must have ruined that particular experience. I'm surprised it wasn't indoors to be honest! You lucked out not going to the swimming, the seats in Sandwell Aquatics Centre are really uncomfortable, I was very disappointed.

I'll also add I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not a big fan of Birmingham. I've still no idea how they got to hold the Games, considering the lack of a velodrome of their own.

I did the walk from Perry Barr station myself today, took me around 12 minutes but I do go at a fairly fast pace so that's nothing unusual for me. The shuttle buses I haven't done yet, but I'm there on Monday for the closing ceremony and I'll 99.9% need to use them then. I've done pretty much every sensible way of getting to the stadium now (cycling, walking, trains and even private hire vehicles), including the walk to the city centre which I did at lunchtime. The buses are the last one to do! There's been loads of bus enthusiasts out whenever I've been there, a right proper gala for them. I've noted buses from Kent, Dundee and Cornwall amongst many other places, and I'm already wondering what I get on Monday!

Final thought right now, I've been trying to keep up with the swimming but I found myself on Tuesday night watching highlights from the gymnastics as well. That was some really fine work, fair play to all of them! Not seen the mountain biking yet, but the swimming was good and I really enjoyed the athletics. The cricket was OK, ball sports aren't really my thing but it was nice to tick off Edgbaston and do something different!

barrowjack

Wow that was an action packed 30 hours for you! I hope your hotel was better than mine was last night. I booked Hylands Hotel in Coventry, I don't have time tonight to talk about it but that place was seriously bad.

You clearly had a brilliant time all in, a nice mix of events although the wet stuff must have ruined that particular experience. I'm surprised it wasn't indoors to be honest! You lucked out not going to the swimming, the seats in Sandwell Aquatics Centre are really uncomfortable, I was very disappointed.

I'll also add I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not a big fan of Birmingham. I've still no idea how they got to hold the Games, considering the lack of a velodrome of their own.

I did the walk from Perry Barr station myself today, took me around 12 minutes but I do go at a fairly fast pace so that's nothing unusual for me. The shuttle buses I haven't done yet, but I'm there on Monday for the closing ceremony and I'll 99.9% need to use them then. I've done pretty much every sensible way of getting to the stadium now (cycling, walking, trains and even private hire vehicles), including the walk to the city centre which I did at lunchtime. The buses are the last one to do! There's been loads of bus enthusiasts out whenever I've been there, a right proper gala for them. I've noted buses from Kent, Dundee and Cornwall amongst many other places, and I'm already wondering what I get on Monday!

Final thought right now, I've been trying to keep up with the swimming but I found myself on Tuesday night watching highlights from the gymnastics as well. That was some really fine work, fair play to all of them! Not seen the mountain biking yet, but the swimming was good and I really enjoyed the athletics. The cricket was OK, ball sports aren't really my thing but it was nice to tick off Edgbaston and do something different!
I was surprised how much I managed to fit in and also pleased I decided against an event on the Monday afternoon for the 68 too. I looked at Coventry first but then decided there would be too much "dead" time so paid the extra for the Travelodge on Broad Street. Not where I would normally stay but needs must this time. The breakfast box was a huge disappointment though. I still enjoyed the hockey and with the early start on Tuesday was probably better to leave early. It was fine for the athletics which was the main thing.

The games were originally supposed to be in Durban South Africa but they backed out in 2018 to as they couldn't afford to host them. It was then between Birmingham and Liverpool and Birmingham got them.

The buss back was a time thing. Left the Athletics at 1 and needed to be in Smithfields for the Basketball at 3 so figured I would back in the city centre before I got back to Perry Barr station.

For me the seats at all 3 venues were uncomfortable especially at the Athletics. I got lucky with the swimming as I would have gone on Wednesday morning. When I put laptop on to watch it there were only 8 heats, 2 only had3 swimmers so was pleased I didn't pay for an extra night at the hotel and a ticket as would have been really disappointed. These things are all about the experience though for me.

Sounds like you packed loads in too and a good variety of stuff. Hope you enjoy the closing ceremony too.

It must be like hitting the jackpot for any Birmingham area bus spotters, all the buses drafted in from all parts of the country.

Remember the Metro is on a reduced service due to not having that many trams available for use, due to the door frame cracks (CAF quality for you).

I bet, was so many buses around to different venues mainly double decker. To be honest took no notice as not into buses but the advert by where I was sat was for a service to Skegness so knew it wasn't local. Then saw the Scottish one behind.

I hadn't realised they were on a reduced service but still when there is such a high profile event on the service was pretty poor. Manchester and Sheffield's systems are far superior to me.

barrowjack

21/09/2022
As I had a week off work (my first of 2022 oops) I had identified a couple of trips out, this time not for rail purposes specifically but hoping for some winners on the way none the less.

195112 Barrow In Furness - Preston
331018 / 331011 Preston - Wigan North Western

Walk to the DW stadium for Wigan Athletic U21 0 Sheffield Untied U21 2

195123 Wigan North Western - Lancaster

156488 Lancaster - Barrow In Furness

26/09/2022
Having been booked on the direct 06:48 service, I found this to have been yet again cancelled meaning having to take the slightly later 07:08 with a change at Lancaster (Ticket acceptance being in place with TPE) meaning an arrival in Manchester just before 09:30 so half an hour down.

195126 Barrow In Furness - Lancaster
397004 Lancaster - Manchester Piccadilly

185136 Manchester Piccadilly - Sheffield

The original intention here was to take the 09:42 stopper as time was tight on arrival at Sheffield, however after seeing the crowds on the platform for a 2 car 150 it was obvious that it would be wedged on departure, so a further wait ensued for the 10:18 Cleethorpes service. At least this would be an express service. Arrival at was a few minutes down, so with time pressing it was outside to the trams, in time to discover that there was one missing so there would be a 12-minute wait.

107 Sheffield Station / Hallam Uni - Cathedral
104 Cathedral - Leppings Lane

From here, it was a short walk to Hillsborough (No 52/92) for

Sheffield Wednesday U21 0 Wigan Athletic U21 2

Just making it into the ground just as the game kicked off.

103 Leppings Lane - Castle Square
115 Castle Square - Sheffield Station / Hallam Uni

Whilst I could (and probably should) have stayed in Sheffield a bit longer, I decided to head back to Manchester on the first available service, the 14:40. I am back in Sheffield next April so I am hoping to clear the tram fleet on that visit.

158866 / 158788 Sheffield - Manchester Piccadilly

From here it was onto the homeward service, however en route the conductor announced that at Preston due to attaching another unit to the front it would be all change and everyone had to move into the new unit as this one would be locked out.

195115 Manchester Piccadilly – Preston
195123 / 195115 Preston - Barrow In Furness

Bizarrely after re-boarding I noticed that all those at the front of the new coach A were sat in exactly the same seats as before!

This ended up as my longest day trip since February 2020 and even though it shouldn’t be in this day and age was possibly a bit ambitious. I still have 3 Northern delay repay returns to use so it is back to the planning stage. One is earmarked for U21 football at Barnsley, the others possibly one for a trip to Liverpool, and one for Leeds. Wherever I end up on these it is unlikely any will happen now before 2023. Next stop London in early November.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well if it makes you feel any better about it only being your first week off this year, I've not done that much better with only 2 weeks off back in January and March. They seem a mighty long time ago!

Considering the limited time available, it looks like you did reasonably well. I probably would have stayed longer in Sheffield to do more of the trams, but with a fair ol' distance to do back to Barrow I can understand the desire to get back earlier.

I'd say if you get the chance to do Liverpool this year, go for it, as the 777s won't be far off now. Of course, it may be better to wait for those!

barrowjack

Sunday 04 December 2022
Lakeside and Haverthwaite railway "Tinsel Train" return trip behind "David"

P1150493.JPG

Tuesday 06 December 2022
Having lost weekend trips to Cardiff and London, and two day trips to Manchester due to strikes, since September I had only a second trip to Wigan to watch under 21 football at the DW stadium, I finally managed to use one of the delay repay returns that I have been burning a hole in my pocket since July, deciding on a trip to Liverpool (predominantly for some Christmas shopping and market

For once the 06:48 was actually running so it was onboard a fairly empty 195125 for the first leg of the journey to Wigan North Western (getting much busier after departure from Lancaster) changing for 331024 / 331023 to Liverpool. This was the last week a change at Wigan would be possible as of the timetable change now the Barrow to Manchester services now go via Bolton and not Wigan NW. Arrival at Lime Street was on time at 09:22 and as the ticket office was empty purchased a Merseyrail day saver. That was for later, first job was to find coffee so into the St John’s centre to the McDonalds also purchasing a breakfast Mighty Mcmuffin. When I opened the wrapping the only thing mighty about it was the disappointment of what I had been given. It just looked like it had been thrown together and absolutely nothing like the picture on the menu..

Once the coffee was finished, I made the mistake of going in the nearby store one below, ending up with nearly a bagful of shopping. Not the best idea before 10am!! before heading over to Liverpool Central to tick off some 507/508’s before their retirement. With hardly any recorded moves of these units in the book it was virtually guaranteed that most would be winners as follows

507011 Liverpool Central - Liverpool James Street
Liverpool James Street - Birkenhead Hamilton Square
508131 Birkenhead Hamilton Square - Liverpool James Street
507027 Liverpool James Street - Liverpool Lime Street
508103 Liverpool Lime Street - Liverpool Central
507033 Liverpool Central - Liverpool James Street

At this point I should have continued again to Hamilton Square before heading back round the circle but I thought time was tight to fit in everything i wanted so bailed and headed towards the River Mersey. Ferry "Stena Embla" was berthed on the Birkenhead side before returning and heading off to seaand after photographing the Superlambanans made my way to the Pret at Liverpool One for lunch, purchasing the Christmas lunch sandwich and more coffee. Slightly pricy but I only have them once (twice at best) a year for the journey home before heading to the Christmas market which basically was just a load of expensive food and drink outlets so was done in half an hour!

P1150554.JPG P1150561.JPG

With time now to spare, logic would dictate that I should go back to scoring Merseyrail units but with now with 2 bags of shopping and an ankle paying up logic went out of the window. My TfW recorded coverage is appalling, whilst I probably cleared the 175’s several times over when they were i the North \west,(I have in excess of 30,000 miles with no recorded unit!) i have very little in the book. In the morning I had noted two required dogboxes on the Liverpool – Chester circuit, and although there had been a set swap the new pair were also required so after purchasing second coffee from Pret I decided to intercept them at Liverpool South Parkway 507029 doing the honours on the run from Liverpool Central, becoming my highest mileage 507 in the process by a distance.

After a short wait it was onto 153926 / 153333 Liverpool South Parkway - Liverpool Lime Street taking a seat in 333.

As I didn’t fancy hanging around for another hour and a half in Liverpool, once at Lime Street I made my way over to Platform 1 for the 15:37 Blackpool service. Sadly this was formed of the same 331023 / 331024 as the morning. Service was held at Huyton for 15 minutes due to an issue with the train in front meaning a comfortable same platform +9 at Wigan was now a -5 at Preston. Fortunately after a spirited run from Wigan, and a late arrival of the train crew for the Barrow service which was starting at Preston instead of Manchester meant that after a sprint between Platforms 1 and 5 I managed to just board 195128 on the Barrow train the doors closing before I had even taken my seat. Just as well i made it as the following service was cancelled.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some good successes there, and exceptional luck on the way back too! Managing to avoid a cancelled Barrow on the way back was certainly fortunate. I know what you mean about the Christmas markets, the one at Gloucester Quays is pretty much just food and drink outlets too. I'd say it's a waste of time but it is certainly very popular with the masses. Absolutely better to go to a Christmas market in somewhere like Vienna!

barrowjack

Some good successes there, and exceptional luck on the way back too! Managing to avoid a cancelled Barrow on the way back was certainly fortunate. I know what you mean about the Christmas markets, the one at Gloucester Quays is pretty much just food and drink outlets too. I'd say it's a waste of time but it is certainly very popular with the masses. Absolutely better to go to a Christmas market in somewhere like Vienna!
It was certainly fortunate as I would have had to hang around for 2 hours until the next one!

Markets were extremely disappointing and a waste of time with hindsight should have gone to Manchester instead but wanted to knock off a few Merseyrail units. Oh now there is an idea.......

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I also want to return to MerseyRail, but I'm going to wait for the first 777s in passenger service. I also want to do Manchester, and get my Metrolink wants down significantly. Hopefully that will happen soon enough, once the strikes stop happening so regularly!

barrowjack

I also want to return to MerseyRail, but I'm going to wait for the first 777s in passenger service. I also want to do Manchester, and get my Metrolink wants down significantly. Hopefully that will happen soon enough, once the strikes stop happening so regularly!
Agree, will be waiting for the 777's to enter service. To be honest I don't see the point in chasing stuff that is soon to be gone, would rather make a start on the new stuff.

Definitely hope to have some time in Manchester, strikes permitting. Notice the 197#s have started infiltrating the North Wales coast now as well.

Otherwise, for 2023 is lots I want to do, so hopefully will at least make a start on some of it!

barrowjack

The City with Big Hills and Little Alleyways

Tuesday 07 March 2023

With circumstances dictating that I have been unable to make a trip of any sort since the beginning of December 2022, it was finally time to venture out again, and the first trip of 2023 is a long planned visit to Edinburgh to see the Neighbours Farewell (now celebration tour) on the Wednesday night. Edinburgh being chosen as it was the one venue that I could manage to purchase a ticket for with them selling out so quickly on release. Anyway at this point I had no idea that this would coincide with a blockade of the WCML at Carstairs (I didn’t find out about this until I tried to book my rail tickets). Having looked at the options from Carlisle, there was no way I would be going by bus, as much as I like the 156’s I didn’t fancy a potentially crowded one over the GSWR, I even investigated going to Manchester and flying from there before deciding I would take the train the scenic route and divert via Newcastle.

With only one visit to Newcastle previously recorded by train, a University visit back in 1989, and my total coverage of the ECML limited to the section between Grantham and York, this would mean there should be several “firsts” for me on this trip.

As I wasn’t keen on a very early start I had booked to leave on the 08:49 around the bay to Lancaster. However a check on RTT at 3.30 am showed this to be cancelled, resulting in a reset of the alarm to an hour earlier to get the 07:46 train instead.

So the early start meant that I would be taking 195122 around the bay to Lancaster, Wanting to get to Newcastle as soon as I could with just enough time to source coffee before boarding a very lightly loaded 390126 to Carlisle changing platforms for my highest mileage 156488 over to Newcastle, arriving half an hour earlier than originally intended. With a wait now until the booked service to Edinburgh and no previous Wyne and Tear units ever recorded I used the additional time for a linear leap from Newcastle station to Haymarket bagging 4040/4083 and 4071/4036. As it is unlikely I will be returning anytime soon these are likely to be the only current units I will have so just wanted some in the book. With luggage in tow I didn’t fancy any more hopping on and off so from here it was a short walk back to Central, sourcing food and more coffee on the way (Pret) before heading north out of Newcastle for the first time on Azuma 801223 arriving on schedule into Edinburgh at 15:20. Now I had originally planned to head to the hotel then pick up a HST later on, however on reviewing RTT it showed the majority of the later departures to be units, and a set with neither power car required so I made the short walk from platform 5 to 16 for the 15:30 to Aberdeen with required power cars 43148 / 43133 on the bus stop leap to Haymarket, keeping my return for later by taking tram 254 (My first Edinburgh tram) back to St Andrew Square (IMO a poorly located stop for Waverley) for a walk over North Bridge to the Royal Mile Premier Inn (though not on the Royal Mile !!), my home for the next 2 nights.

After checking in and sorting out my stuff, I headed out walking up the Royal Mile passed he Cathedral before taking a right turn and heading down to Princes Street Gardens. By now it was about 17:45 and my plan was to be at Haymarket to intercept the 18:24 HST from Aberdeen. So to fill time I ticked off a few more trams

251 Princes Street - West End
West End - Princes Street
256 Princes Street - West End
269 West End - Haymarket (Edinburgh)
267 Haymarket (Edinburgh) - West End

With the departure board showing a 9 minute wait to the next tram and with time tight I made my way back to Haymarket on foot though had I checked RTT then I would have realised I had plenty of time as the Aberdeen was running 15 minutes late, eventually taking 43124 / 43131 back to Waverley before heading to base camp for the night (By now it was extremely cold!)

Wednesday 08 March 2023
The following morning, I hoped to take one a HST to Haymarket before heading for the Zoo, but again a RTT check showed at least 3 units covering Edinburgh diagrams including my planned train so with two required power cars 43168 / 43036 I took the 0830 to Haymarket returning to Waverley on my first two 385’s 385042 / 385027 and back t the hotel to collect my stuff for the day, heading to the Zoo via tram 260 (St Andrew Square – Haymarket) and bus and my first bucket list tick – Seeing the Giant Panda’s before they head back to China. Also seeing the baby Koala they now have too.

After lunch it started to get bitterly cold, so it was back on the bus to Haymarket followed by tram 276 to Princes Street. Here I went back into the gardens to try and take some photos as the light had been completely wrong the night before and food before heading to the Festival Theatre to see the Neighbours Celebration Tour show.

Thursday 09 March 2023
All too soon he trip was coming to an end, with just enough time to bag one more required HST, 43026 / 43012 again between Edinburgh and Haymarket returning with 385122 / 385102.

At this point the fun began. I had booked onto the 11:19 Lumo service to Newcastle, but tracking the inbound working on RTT this was losing significant time, and at 10:00 confirmation that the 11:19 would indeed be cancelled (Broken Windscreen). With that, I made my way to the station to look at options, being told I could travel on the 11:00 Azuma. Having just nicely got settled came an announcement that due to a broken rail south of Berwick this train was also now cancelled, and to board the 11:06 Cross Country to Plymouth. Again just nicely settled when it was announced that this service would also be cancelled. With this not looking good, and the forecast of heavy snow in the north I asked if it was possible to take the bus to Carlisle so I could make my way home from there. However ticket acceptance wouldn’t allow this but the 11:30 south would definitely run. Thanks to the very helpful Customer Service assistant he was able to reserve a seat for me on what looked like a very busy 11:30, arriving on Platform 2 from Inverness just after 11:14. Fortunately the reservation was near the front in Coach J with the majority of the other passengers crowded at what was the rear of the train meaning that it was fairly easy to board and find my seat before the hoards realised they needed to be at the other end of the train! On time at 11:30 800112 headed south, though we had been warned to expect a significant delay en-route in the end losing 41 minutes travelling the short distance between Tweedmouth signal box and Belford Level crossing. This meant a revised ETA in Newcastle of 13:36, and with the Carlisle service leaving at 13:40 (and the following two services cancelled) it meant it was going to be very tight to avoid a 90 minute fester in Newcastle.

With no further time lost, arrival in Newcastle was 13:35 and I could have placed the door any closer to the footbridge steps if I had tried. I had made my way to the door at Morpeth in anticipation of a mad dash, so it was an easy transfer to Platform 11 to board 158842 on the 13:40 though in the event it was 13:45 when it departed as the Azuma went out first. From there it was a fairly uneventful journey back home 397012 south from Carlisle to Lancaster and with the 16:52 cancelled, 156447 back around the bay arriving home just as the snow started.

So that concluded a busy 3 days with lots of walking up (and down!) hills two bucket list items ticked and 26 winners including 7 HST power cars. I also managed my first T&W units, Edinburgh trams, 385 units, Scotrail HST and 801/1 and my first time north of Newcastle (and south from Edinburgh) by train. Overall a really good trip Edinburgh delivered everything I hoped it would.

All being well, current booked plans for this year include Sheffield in April (For another bucket list tick to see the World Snooker Championships and I am also hoping to pick up my remaining 12 Supertrams), hopefully London in June and Glasgow in August for the Cycling. I also have 2 Northern free returns burning a hole in my pocket so hopefully I will be able get out and about a bit again

IMG20230308083403.jpg IMG20230309093258.jpg

Storeage areas on the HST

P1160041.JPG P1160429.JPG
43168/036 leave Haymarket on 08/03/23 and 43026/012 09/03/23

Other Pics from the trip

IMG20230308102839.jpg IMG20230308105313.jpg IMG20230308210155.jpg

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It still seems weird to me that Neighbours is no longer a thing here, my sister watched it all the time and it formed a small part of my youth too. Thank you for the reminder about the UCI championships, it's not looking too likely that I'll get to go to Glasgow for it. I must look into my options though, I've never attended a track cycling event and it's great fun to watch!

Your visit to Edinburgh certainly had a lot of ups and downs, but it sure sounds like it was a good time overall. I haven't cleared the trams up there myself, I must make an effort to do so after the extension opens.

barrowjack

It still seems weird to me that Neighbours is no longer a thing here, my sister watched it all the time and it formed a small part of my youth too. Thank you for the reminder about the UCI championships, it's not looking too likely that I'll get to go to Glasgow for it. I must look into my options though, I've never attended a track cycling event and it's great fun to watch!

Your visit to Edinburgh certainly had a lot of ups and downs, but it sure sounds like it was a good time overall. I haven't cleared the trams up there myself, I must make an effort to do so after the extension opens.

Neighbours is coming back in autumn on amazon but was still well worth the effort last week to see the show.

I am going to the cycling on the first Thursday morning in Glasgow, Went to the European cycling also in Glasgow, think it was 2018 or 2019. Its really good to watch and the speeds they get up to is scary!

Really enjoyed it, first time I have bene for more than a day, decent weather just cold but can cope with that, may try and go back up when the festival is on, but not sure that will happen this year. The only disappointment was missing out on the Lumo as was looking forward to trying their offering.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That will please my sister then, she'll make good use of her Prime!

Agreed very much with the speed they get up on the track, I can't manage even 40mph downhill! When the boss is back later this week I might try and get some time off booked for it. Even a couple of days will do!

barrowjack

Monday 12 June 2023
With current circumstance still dictating otherwise, this would be only my second trip out this year. As in previous years at this time, the main purpose was to attend a work conference in the City of London, with a little free time too.

The trip down was uneventful taking 156447 and 390152 on the journey south. As I was working out a plan for the afternoon, I noticed that there was a signal failure around London Bridge causing major disruption meant that the intended plan to clear some outstanding stuff went out of the window. So after checking into my hotel at Kings Cross I decided in the end it was far too hot to be spending much time on trains or tube and headed off into London taking Piccadilly Line 182/195 and 227/156 to Leicester Square and back (Intertube showing my last few units to be nowhere near at the time) before 21400/21399 to Farringdon and 345022, 345025 to Bond Street and back to Tottenham Court Road and the Dominion Theatre, returning later to Kings Cross via Farringdon on 345066 and 700144

Tuesday 13 June 2023.

Today was spent at the conference travelling via Blackfriars to Tower Hill a very early and slow journey on 700003 with continuing signal problems and 21372/21371 arriving at the venue by 07:45 for a 09.15 start! Fortunately the venue was air conditioned but on leaving was again hit by the heat. Maybe somewhat stupidly I decided to take a scenic route back via the Tower, Tower Bridge, South Bank and Hays Galleria to London Bridge before making a linear leap 376035/376016 to Waterloo East and 375808/375829 to Charing Cross and food! Again Intertube showed most of my requirements had passed in the previous quarter of an hour (I would have got a couple of them if I hadn’t stopped to check!) so duds 113/208 back to Kings Cross

Wednesday 14 June 2023

The final day started by heading over to St Pancras International Thameslink platforms and almost immediately 700117 with the intention of linear leaping to Blackfriars. However the next 4 were all dud so had no choice but to take 700116 to Blackfriars due to the now large gap between services. As the heat was still bearable I decided to walk along the South Bank to Vauxhall, regretting this as I passed Lambeth Bridge as the heat had by then become unbearable. Consulting RTT I chose the train back to Waterloo carefully ensuring that it would consist of 2 required 455’s in 5901 and 5739 heading over to Waterloo East for 465919, 465037 and 466020 Charing Cross.

it was now time to find some shade and food before the train home, so had to be a Pret as will be a while until I go to another. Had to go back to Kings Cross to collect my luggage and as sods law would have it fell on one of my required units 875/220 reducing my Piccadilly line list to just 9 half sets (Something to complete when I am down again in December) and a short walk back to Euston and 390117 back to Lancaster and a late running 195112 back home.

Overall not quite what I had planned only 18 winners but to be honest it was far too hot to be spending much time travelling.