• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Base board for 00 gauge layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good evening,

As previously mentioned here, I am just getting back into model railways again after a very long break. I am going for 00 Gauge, Hornby/Bachmann etc. The only place I can have a layout is the garage, lucky for me we don't drive a car so there is space there. What would you recommend for a baseboard, Chip board, cork board, plaster board etc or any other suggestions? Many Tks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
Chipboard is pretty much passé for baseboards now, and I've never heard of plaster board being used!
9mm or 12mm plywood seems to be the material of choice these days.

As EM2 said, ply is what most people recommend. MDF is ok for small boards but I think ply is generally considered the better option.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thank you both for your replies, I'll take your advice and go down the plywood route. (I must admit when someone advised plasterboard I was rather surprised.) Rgds.

I nearly went for plasterboard, but it seemed very brittle and dusty so that idea was quickly abandoned.

Monty

Established Member
My layout currently under construction uses MDF, very robust however it's rather heavy. If the layout has no need to be moved often then MDF may suit your needs.

Pete2210

Stevieboy,

Before you do go down the Ply/chipboard route have a look at Polyfoam, made by Knauf and sold as Spaceboard, it available in some B&Q and Wickes.

It's light, rigid, and as long as you protect the edges with a strip of 9mm ply and the ends with 12mm ply it'll last a long time, I'm still using some boards made that way from 2 layouts ago. They measure about 20 inches wide by 47 inches long and 2 inches deep, and it is very easy to cut.

Best wishes

Pete

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Plasterboard will be heavy and crumbly, your track pins wont even stick down. My suggestion would be ply, but as 142094 says:
Plywood, with a small layer of cork on top.
that is a very good idea as cork is soft and your track pins will stick well into cork.
Ply is very light and thin and durable so that would be your best bet

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The best baseboard material by far is "Sundeala" Hobby Board.

This was the same product that I used for the final layout that I built for one of my sons in 1999 and found it a good baseboard to work with, but I ensured that it was well braced all round, as with all previous layouts I had built previously.

I used the services of a local timber merchant to order and deliver the product in 8 foot x 4 foot sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.