• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Battery Powered Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

My wife and were in Orkney recently. Whilst there we were hearing about a battery powered aircraft thats being tested for possible use on Inter Island services. Apparently the craft they were testing has so many batteries that there is room for one person, the pilot.
Somehow I don't think that's going to be much use.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ediswan

Established Member
My wife and were in Orkney recently. Whilst there we were hearing about a battery powered aircraft thats being tested for possible use on Inter Island services. Apparently the craft they were testing has so many batteries that there is room for one person, the pilot.
Somehow I don't think that's going to be much use.
Possibly conflation of two different aircraft.

I have seen reports of a hybrid being tested: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-56844531 The choice of photo there is poor. There is a second petrol/piston engine and propellor at the back. It is a converted Cessna 337. Unlike most twins, they handle relatively normally on a single engine. (The military version appears in the film Bat*21.)

There is a different electric aircraft in the news which is going for a speed record. That is a single seater.

pitdiver

Possibly conflation of two different aircraft.

I have seen reports of a hybrid being tested: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-56844531 The choice of photo there is poor. There is a second petrol/piston engine and propellor at the back. It is a converted Cessna 337. Unlike most twins, they handle relatively normally on a single engine. (The military version appears in the film Bat*21.)

There is a different electric aircraft in the news which is going for a speed record. That is a single seater.
Yes I believe that is the one that was being discussed. I don't think I would happy flying in it.
Obviously a lot of work to do before it " takes off"

Status
Not open for further replies.