• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Battle of Britain Memorial Flight jubilee flypasts of heritage railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteb

According to the Severn Valley Railway the BoBMF Lancaster is due to fly over it on Thurs 2nd June 2pm, Fri 3rd 1.30pm, Sat 4th 2.30pm and Sun 5th 2.15pm. But does anyone have any intelligence on the routes each day please? This to facilitate a good viewpoint hopefully plane and train in same shot!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

blackfive460

According to NOTAMs the location for the flypast is Kidderminster and the preceding flypasts are to the east but that doesn't mean that the aircraft will approach from the east.
You can track the Lancaster and other BBMF aircraft on various ADSB web sites such as https://globe.adsbexchange.com/. On that site click the 'U' at the top of the map to restrict the display to military aircraft.
Good luck!

blackfive460

The actual NOTAM for Kidderminster:

H2883/22: Air display will take place
Q) EGTT/QWALW/IV/M/W/000/022/5223N00214W003FLYPAST WI 2NM RADIUS: 522303N 0021425W (KIDDERMINSTER,
WORCESTERSHIRE). 2022-06-0178/AS3.
LOWER: Surface, UPPER: 2,200 Feet AMSL
FROM: 02 Jun 2022 11:45 GMT (12:45 BST) TO: 05 Jun 2022 13:47 GMT (14:47 BST)
SCHEDULE: 02 1145-1230, 03 1215-1300, 04 1320-1405, 05 1302-1347

peteb

Thanks for all info. Important to note the display is Kidderminster and not Bridgnorth!!

Just seen this at Kidderminster, flew in from the east presumably to position itself to fly the length of the SVR south to north (which it did). Not very low at Kiddy, but a great sight nevertheless.

I'd guess that tomorrow's flypast will be north to south as Telford on the list before Kidderminster then off to Felixstowe!

Last edited:

peteb

BBMF Spitfire just flew over my house. It was working empty stock to display so to speak!
Ha ha, I noticed that yesterday the Lancaster looped round several towns not on the official route......lucky them!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ha ha, I noticed that yesterday the Lancaster looped round several towns not on the official route......lucky them!
That would have been pre-planned even if not publicly announced in advance; the Lancaster is so tight on hours that they don't spend a single un-necessary minute in the air. What they will have done is arranged a requested flypast with those places "subject to conditions on the day" which would have givben them the ability to cut that biyt out at the last minute if, for example, they were getting stronger headwinds than anticipated.

In most instances where a town gets a truly unexpected flypast it'll be because it's extremely close to a route where they are flying anyway - and would be just a single pass. Circling round would have to have been planned.

peteb

Lancaster somewhat lower over Kidderminster today heading from West to east......more tomorrow unless rain stops play!

Today's SVR flypast cancelled due to poor weather though it's bright and dry in Kidderminster as I write this.....the Lancaster flew up from Exeter, got as far as Worcester but has now turned south east and is looping over Bidford on Avon! (Written 1414 on 4/6/22)

Last edited:

rower40

I was at the National Memorial Arboretum (near Wichnor Junction) on Thursday when the Lancaster flew over. Then a Spitfire later in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.