• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Coach Carter

Yer you should first get a conditional offer with a provisional start date, the the conditions being that you pass the medical, DBS and references.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welsh lady

Same here. Passed the 2 assessments and mmi, just waiting for the DMI date. Been a month now. U been waiting lo g
Aww the waiting game is the hardest part! Worse than the assessments themselves! I did my MMI on 12th October. Hope we hear something soon! Fingers crossed

Kieron h

I've applied for a job for apprentice train driver about 7 weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet does anyone have any idea how long it takes to get a response. Cheers

Welsh lady

I've applied for a job for apprentice train driver about 7 weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet does anyone have any idea how long it takes to get a response. Cheers
Hi, first off good luck! I applied beginning of July and didn't hear until September, sometimes it takes a while.

hs1105

Hi all,
Thanks everyone for all their info and sharing details on the life as a train driver. I am currently preparing for an interview and was wandering if anyone can share a bit more light on a couple of topics.....

So -my background is in aviation, where we could 'bid' for the rosters that we wanted- does a train driver have much influence or control over the roster that is given? Is there any such thing as seniority within a TOC where a 'senior' driver may have more influence over their working pattern/ hours/ timetable than someone more 'junior'

A train driver has their depot, and would usually start and finish their day at said depot. Under rare circumstances would your day ever finish elsewhere or would you ever even over night somewhere?

Thanks in advance guys!

raytv

Hello!

First time poster here and appreciate if anyone has answered although Ive been back a number of pages and couldnt see any answer

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the video interview part with West midland?

Types of questions?

Im guessing i should atleast wear look professional and not do it in my civvies?

any assistance appreciated!

Catweasel

Good luck with your DMI!! Mines also due next week!
Hey Welsh lady, so sorry, only now seen your reply! Have you had yours yet? I think mine went well, but still waiting to hear! been a week, they said 10 - 14 days so hoping I'll hear soon! Where did you apply for?

Hello!

First time poster here and appreciate if anyone has answered although Ive been back a number of pages and couldnt see any answer

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the video interview part with West midland?

Types of questions?

Im guessing i should atleast wear look professional and not do it in my civvies?

any assistance appreciated!
Hi Raytv. I had my video interview with Transport for Wales last week, and although the email said casual was fine, I wore trousers and a shirt - I find dress smart, think smart. Will let you know when i hear about mine if it worked in practice or not! Good luck with yours!

Welsh lady

Hey Welsh lady, so sorry, only now seen your reply! Have you had yours yet? I think mine went well, but still waiting to hear! been a week, they said 10 - 14 days so hoping I'll hear soon! Where did you apply for?

Hi Raytv. I had my video interview with Transport for Wales last week, and although the email said casual was fine, I wore trousers and a shirt - I find dress smart, think smart. Will let you know when i hear about mine if it worked in practice or not! Good luck with yours!
Hey Catweasel! No drama no need to apologize. I had mine end of last week. Said the same to me about the wait time. Definitely think I could have done better, minor technical issues to begin with threw me off confidence a little but I'm hoping not too much! I have my fingers crossed for you. Maybe then we'll be on the same training course

Tomnick

Established Member
Hi all,
Thanks everyone for all their info and sharing details on the life as a train driver. I am currently preparing for an interview and was wandering if anyone can share a bit more light on a couple of topics.....

So -my background is in aviation, where we could 'bid' for the rosters that we wanted- does a train driver have much influence or control over the roster that is given? Is there any such thing as seniority within a TOC where a 'senior' driver may have more influence over their working pattern/ hours/ timetable than someone more 'junior'

A train driver has their depot, and would usually start and finish their day at said depot. Under rare circumstances would your day ever finish elsewhere or would you ever even over night somewhere?

Thanks in advance guys!
The only way that seniority really comes into it is where a depot has ‘progressive’ links - a link, in broad terms, being a base roster followed by one group of drivers. Larger depots will usually have a number of different links, often with some differences in the routes covered by each link, and ‘progressive’ links mean that you start at the bottom and work up as vacancies are created. The ‘best’ work (more sociable - or at least less unsociable - hours, longer faster routes with fewer stops, that sort of thing) tends to be in the higher links, naturally. Many depots have ‘non progressive’ links though, where (with the possible exception of a starter/training link with just the basic core routes) you get more choice over which link you go in, and in that case they’re probably all a lot more balanced in terms of the ‘quality’ of the work!

You nearly always finish where you started, at your home depot. The first or last part of your job might involve travelling as a passenger or in a taxi to achieve that. The exception is lodge turns, where you finish somewhere else and stay overnight (at the company’s expense obviously) before starting your next day’s work there to get you home. There’s only a handful of passenger depots that have that sort of work though.

Freight’s quite a different world, and I won’t even attempt to answer the question in that context!

Leemini

Hey Catweasel! No drama no need to apologize. I had mine end of last week. Said the same to me about the wait time. Definitely think I could have done better, minor technical issues to begin with threw me off confidence a little but I'm hoping not too much! I have my fingers crossed for you. Maybe then we'll be on the same training course
Could I ask when u had your mmi and how long after did they contact you for the dmi

Welsh lady

Could I ask when u had your mmi and how long after did they contact you for the dmi
Hey! Of course. Had mmi same day as my computer assessments which was beginning of October, found out I'd passed a week later but didn't hear for another 2weeks afterwards on a date for DMI.. have you had yours?

Leemini

Hey! Of course. Had mmi same day as my computer assessments which was beginning of October, found out I'd passed a week later but didn't hear for another 2weeks afterwards on a date for DMI.. have you had yours?
I also had my mmi after the computer assessment had an email saying u had passed on the 5/10 but still haven't had a dmi date. How was your dmi?

Welsh lady

I also had my mmi after the computer assessment had an email saying u had passed on the 5/10 but still haven't had a dmi date. How was your dmi?
Congratulations! I don't ever really know how to gauge it. I think I could have done better but because of technical issues to begin with it threw me off quite a bit and knocked my confidence. Questions were fairly straightforward though. Hope you hear back soon!

Leemini

Congratulations! I don't ever really know how to gauge it. I think I could have done better but because of technical issues to begin with it threw me off quite a bit and knocked my confidence. Questions were fairly straightforward though. Hope you hear back soon!
Me too. Seems like a long time. Hope u get the good news

Churchfarm

Hi there, seriously considering a complete career change into train driving. Doing research I think freight would be the route for me. I’m based on the Suffolk / Essex border and not looking to move. I see freightliner have a depot at Ipswich and gbrf at Felixstowe. Just wondered really are there any toc’s I should be looking into in my area ?
any help much appreciated

Driver2B

Hi @Driver2B, it was incredibly useful - I'm through to the assessment stage :) I am now awaiting more info (such as date and practice material). Scouring the forums for any more info. Thank you again.

Hi @SVDW995 ,

Congratulations on getting through to assessment stage and good luck on your assessments! :)

I'm glad that my earlier response was useful.

You're in the right place to find further information, and I know that you'll ask if there's anything else you need.

Once again: congratulations! :)

Catweasel

That would be awesome, got my fingers crossed for you too, will let you know when I hear anything! It was the first time I've done a video interview, so I was a bit flustered at the start too, but I got into the swing of it in the end!

SVDW995

What have women worn to assessment days? I only have suits that are paired with skirts or dresses... I want to give the right impression (should I make it to the MMI), so should I find suitable pants/jacket instead?

ElmPark

What have women worn to assessment days? I only have suits that are paired with skirts or dresses... I want to give the right impression (should I make it to the MMI), so should I find suitable pants/jacket instead?
On the instructions that I received prior to attending, it pointed out that your potential employer "will expect the highest standards from all its employees both in terms of behaviour and presentation, so we will expect you to dress professionally for the assessment centre and to be well groomed"
You'll need to be comfortable enough so that you can concentrate on the various tests but bear in mind that you don't get a second chance to create a first impression.
Hope this helps!

Welsh lady

Hi, although my instructions said to dress comfortably I wore a smart dress. As the above comment says first impressions do count ☺️

LCC106

Established Member
Nothing wrong with a smart skirt, dress OR trousers for women. As mentioned, just make sure you will feel comfortable. You can always take a jacket off once you’re there.