• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
Welcome to the forum! You can find everything you need to know by searching through this thread. Key point at this stage is to check websites of Train Operating Companies or Freight Operating Companies who have depots within an hour of your home daily. Then when you see a vacancy, apply straightaway. They often get taken off the website before the closing date as there are literally thousands of applicants.

Spaniard

Welcome to the forum! You can find everything you need to know by searching through this thread. Key point at this stage is to check websites of Train Operating Companies or Freight Operating Companies who have depots within an hour of your home daily. Then when you see a vacancy, apply straightaway. They often get taken off the website before the closing date as there are literally thousands of applicants.
Hi all I've just completed the mini scaat test for gtr and was wondering if successful what the next stage would be pls any advise would be greatly appreciated

ILoveLamp

Hi all I've just completed the mini scaat test for gtr and was wondering if successful what the next stage would be pls any advise would be greatly appreciated
Hi. Firstly, this thread is your first port of call if you have applied for a Train Driver position. Most, if not all information you would require is already here. You can use the search bar at the top, and then there is a drop down list where you can search either the whole site (everywhere), this forum or just the thread you are looking at at the time, such as this one ‘Becoming a Train Driver’. Hope this helps.
Secondly, is this test for a driver role or guard?

Spaniard

Hi. Firstly, this thread is your first port of call if you have applied for a Train Driver position. Most, if not all information you would require is already here. You can use the search bar at the top, and then there is a drop down list where you can search either the whole site (everywhere), this forum or just the thread you are looking at at the time, such as this one ‘Becoming a Train Driver’. Hope this helps.
Secondly, is this test for a driver role or guard?
Thanks for ur reply mate. Its for the trainee driver position. I've completed the online questionnaire and passed, then the mini scaat test last night so awaiting results. What would the next step be shud I b lucky enough to.priceed passed this stage. Any info is greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Michael Pitt

Thank you

HJF

All you need is basic maths and English (not qualifications). You need to be able to file a report, read a schedule card, you need to be physically able with good hearing and eyesight, no coloured blindness and preferably not had lazer eye treatment. Oh yeah, a basic knowledge of mechanics and a body mass index less than 33, over 5'2 and 6'6" or under.
In curious why lazer correction is a problem?

Anthony R

In curious why lazer correction is a problem?
The laser correction bemuses me. The risk with it is that it can damage your peripheral vision and thus lose it which is obviously bad for a vigilent Role. However that doesn’t happen most the time and why they’d just rule everyone out who has had it is beyond me. Pilots can have it and still fly, but they take the risk if it damages their peripherals of course.

Stigy

Established Member
The laser correction bemuses me. The risk with it is that it can damage your peripheral vision and thus lose it which is obviously bad for a vigilent Role. However that doesn’t happen most the time and why they’d just rule everyone out who has had it is beyond me. Pilots can have it and still fly, but they take the risk if it damages their peripherals of course.
I was under the impression it was because the surgery can wear off over time in general?

Anthony R

I was under the impression it was because the surgery can wear off over time in general?
Maybe as well, i don’t know much more about it other than what I was told in a previous life. Seems harsh either way to me, if it’s wears off why can’t you just have glasses handy for when that finally happens. Nearly all of our eyes are slowly deteriorating with age anyway, I will need to get my eyes done and get some glasses before the medical if I get that far. Not what they used to be.

LCC106

Established Member
Apparently eyesight can generally deteriorate after 40 years of age. Well that’s what I was told at my last medical anyway :lol:

I’ve had laser eye surgery as have many drivers. Don’t think it’s much of an issue nowadays. Especially if you had it 2 years or more before applying.

DontPanic

Hi folks. First time poster, although been reading for a while.

First I wanted to say what a fabulous resource this forum has been. I haven't really asked questions as you knowledgeable people have answered pretty much everything I needed during my journey so far, so thank you.

Anyway, I applied to be a train driver way back in March last year and have been using this forum for guidance and advice. I managed to make it through to the test day and... failed. Absolutely gutted when the email came, of course, but I knew I failed the Cables and Dials test, which is odd as it was one I was initially most confident about. It was the first test due to other folks resitting that particular test and, well, I was simply too slow and cautious.

Now, I have asked the TOC for feedback, numerous times, as I'd like to know where I failed. Was it just that test - or others - as I'd of course welcome the opportunity to resit down the line. However, they won't respond to my emails (bar one where the senior HR person copied in the other and asked them to get me some feedback.)
I have been politely pestering, but am loathe to be a nuisance, especially as the industry is still attractive to me even if not in the position of a driver. It's quite frustrating as, of course, if I failed a number of the tests then I'd know it's time to hang up this particular hat, but I'm being left hanging.

Anyone else had trouble obtaining feedback? I'd welcome the advice.

ILoveLamp

First I wanted to say what a fabulous resource this forum has been. I haven't really asked questions as you knowledgeable people have answered pretty much everything I needed during my journey so far, so thank you.

Anyway, I applied to be a train driver way back in March last year and have been using this forum for guidance and advice. I managed to make it through to the test day and... failed. Absolutely gutted when the email came, of course, but I knew I failed the Cables and Dials test, which is odd as it was one I was initially most confident about. It was the first test due to other folks resitting that particular test and, well, I was simply too slow and cautious.

Now, I have asked the TOC for feedback, numerous times, as I'd like to know where I failed. Was it just that test - or others - as I'd of course welcome the opportunity to resit down the line. However, they won't respond to my emails (bar one where the senior HR person copied in the other and asked them to get me some feedback.)
I have been politely pestering, but am loathe to be a nuisance, especially as the industry is still attractive to me even if not in the position of a driver. It's quite frustrating as, of course, if I failed a number of the tests then I'd know it's time to hang up this particular hat, but I'm being left hanging.

Hi. Yeah I requested feedback twice, no reply. Rather frustrating but I’ve moved on, reset and back applying after tweaking my cv etc. You will probably get more help here on the forum anyway. Good luck with future application.

LCC106

Established Member
Welcome to the forum! I suspect it may well be a case of the recruitment team being so rushed off their feet. They may be short staffed due to the pandemic, the sheer number of applicants to wade through even at the first stage is immense and what with arranging assessment dates, notifying successful and unsuccessful candidates as well as arranging medicals etc. (not sure if this is all done by the same team) you can then understand why they may not have got back to you. Don’t let it deter you! Hope you get the job next time around!

DontPanic

Hi. Yeah I requested feedback twice, no reply. Rather frustrating but I’ve moved on, reset and back applying after tweaking my cv etc. You will probably get more help here on the forum anyway. Good luck with future application.

Thank you. I will reapply soon as I can. They told me at the time that it has to be six months, but that they likely won't recruit for another year.

Welcome to the forum! I suspect it may well be a case of the recruitment team being so rushed off their feet. They may be short staffed due to the pandemic, the sheer number of applicants to wade through even at the first stage is immense and what with arranging assessment dates, notifying successful and unsuccessful candidates as well as arranging medicals etc. (not sure if this is all done by the same team) you can then understand why they may not have got back to you. Don’t let it deter you! Hope you get the job next time around!

Thank you for the kind welcome. Yes, I don't doubt, which is why I'm loathe to pester -- but it has been many months now. And if I did just need to resit a test or two, I'm not sure how it works? Do I just apply as usual, they'll see that and fast track me past the other stuff -- or how's it work?

Also, I assume I could use the same application seeing it was successful first time?

This may of been asked before but is there anyway to see your assessment results? I passed mine with TFW and would be interested to see what scores I got.

Thanks for any help.

DJP78

Sorry to hear your news. Absolutely don’t let it deter you. Loads of people on here report failing 1st attempt and how they go on to storm the 2nd. Deep breath, regroup and smash it next time which I’m sure you will.

Regarding the results, I passed my tests a couple weeks back and wanted to know my scores on the day but the testing team would only divulge an enhanced score at GB. They were quite forthcoming in saying that if I knew my other scores, I might be able to pass on info to other candidates.

At the very least, you just want to know which tests you passed and which you failed. There was a guy in our group who had to redo GLOP, was told by his TOC (he’s an existing railway employee) within weeks of failing which tests he’d passed and failed. Then had to wait the 6 months.

I say give it a few weeks and send another email. Just be friendly, nice and polite. Explain you are very keen to know how you did and intend on retakes. Look for a recruitment tel number on the careers pages. Some TOC’s have telephone numbers and can direct you through to personnel re applications.

If the HR person has passed on the enquiry asking for feedback to be sent, this needs to be honoured and suggests they are willing, else the request would have been flatly declined.

Only other suggestion is to email into the RSSB direct since the results of your test will be added to their national database. I have no clue as to whether they will tell you anything, but it might be worth a shot if you are being ignored by the TOC

Be tenacious. It proves you’re serious about the job

Good luck

Last edited:
Cheers for the reply. I've passed my tests and it was just curiosity more then anything to see if it was to enhanced standard.

Didn't want to email HR for the results as I know they're busy plus don't want then thinking I'm looking at going elsewhere and losing my spot in the talent pool.

Didn't even think of being able to pass on info to other candidates so makes sense.

Thanks again.

DJP78

Cheers for the reply. I've passed my tests and it was just curiosity more then anything to see if it was to enhanced standard.

Didn't want to email HR for the results as I know they're busy plus don't want then thinking I'm looking at going elsewhere and losing my spot in the talent pool.

Didn't even think of being able to pass on info to other candidates so makes sense.

Thanks again.

Apologies, I replied to the wrong thread lol. It was meant for ‘don’t panic’

DontPanic

Sorry to hear your news. Absolutely don’t let it deter you. Loads of people on here report failing 1st attempt and how they go on to storm the 2nd. Deep breath, regroup and smash it next time which I’m sure you will.

Regarding the results, I passed my tests a couple weeks back and wanted to know my scores on the day but the testing team would only divulge an enhanced score at GB. They were quite forthcoming in saying that if I knew my other scores, I might be able to pass on info to other candidates.

At the very least, you just want to know which tests you passed and which you failed. There was a guy in our group who had to redo GLOP, was told by his TOC (he’s an existing railway employee) within weeks of failing which tests he’d passed and failed. Then had to wait the 6 months.

I say give it a few weeks and send another email. Just be friendly, nice and polite. Explain you are very keen to know how you did and intend on retakes. Look for a recruitment tel number on the careers pages. Some TOC’s have telephone numbers and can direct you through to personnel re applications.

If the HR person has passed on the enquiry asking for feedback to be sent, this needs to be honoured and suggests they are willing, else the request would have been flatly declined.

Only other suggestion is to email into the RSSB direct since the results of your test will be added to their national database. I have no clue as to whether they will tell you anything, but it might be worth a shot if you are being ignored by the TOC

Be tenacious. It proves you’re serious about the job

Good luck
Thank you, Dan. I appreciate your help!

Trainset33

I’ve just done my OPC paper tests and feel it could have gone either way, get results next week. My main concern is that I didn’t complete the pink sheet all the way down for part 3 of the tea occ directory test. Is it necessary to complete it or is being accurate enough?

Stigy

Established Member
I’ve just done my OPC paper tests and feel it could have gone either way, get results next week. My main concern is that I didn’t complete the pink sheet all the way down for part 3 of the tea occ directory test. Is it necessary to complete it or is being accurate enough?
It’s about working effectively but accurately, so definitely not intended to complete. If you completed it and got 70% correct, you’d ‘probably’ fail. If you completed 70% of it however, and got 100% correct, you’d probably pass.

Trainset33

It’s about working effectively but accurately, so definitely not intended to complete. If you completed it and got 70% correct, you’d ‘probably’ fail. If you completed 70% of it however, and got 100% correct, you’d probably pass.
Thanks for your reply Stigy, it’s much appreciated. It’s roughly 70% that I got through actually, we shall see.

Coach Carter

Good evening, I'm a new member currently looking for some advice on trainee train Driver. Thanks
Hiya what area do you want advice on bud? Application, OPC tests, the training it’s self, a specific TOC/FOC, the job it’s self? Lots of helpful people on here.

LCC106

Established Member
Everything you need to know is on this forum. There is a search facility towards the top right of the screen. Good luck!

TCX320

No, commercial pilots can't have it as it is not permitted by the CAA despite their own medical department recommending it.

pow

Hi every one, Can some one tell me how many questions do they ask at a MMI interview please and what type of questions please

NorthernTech

There is a search button at the top. If you type in MMI and then choose ‘this forum’ you will all previous posts relating to MMI. Regards.