• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Becoming a tram driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newts6508

I'm looking at becoming a tram driver. I've got 8 years experience in public transport on the buses. Just wondered if there was any advice in going about getting a job and in terms of online courses I could possibly do ie maths and English as my GCSE's weren't the greatest also maybe a rail/tram beginner course (or similar) I could potentially do in the meantime while a trainee job becomes available

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm looking at becoming a tram driver. I've got 8 years experience in public transport on the buses. Just wondered if there was any advice in going about getting a job and in terms of online courses I could possibly do ie maths and English as my GCSE's weren't the greatest also maybe a rail/tram beginner course (or similar) I could potentially do in the meantime while a trainee job becomes available

I don't know about trams specifically, your best best would be to contact your local tram operator and see whether they have any jobs going and what their criteria are.

Generally speaking, though, I would say that if you don't have a decent (C or better, or whatever the current numeric equivalent is) Maths and English GCSE it is definitely worth your while looking at those, e.g. in evening classes. Almost every employer (other than the most basic physical type jobs) will be interested in those, whereas they tend to be far less interested in other GCSEs.

Newts6508

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'll definitely look into the English and maths classes. Not in a rush for it as have a decent job on the buses so I'm happy enough to take my time and get it right

duncanp

Established Member
I found this on the government careers website

It mentions a Level 2 Diploma in Rail Services (Tram & Light Rail Vehicle Driving), and it also suggests that you can start as a passenger assistant or conductor and move into driving work after taking company training.

I see that your location is Manchester.

Have a look at https://www.metrolinkjobs.co.uk/faqs/ which lists their requirements for becoming a tram driver

You will need to meet the following criteria:
  • Full UK driving licence
  • No more than 3 points on your licence
  • Driving for at least 4 years
  • No drug or alcohol convictions
The company carries out background checks on individuals applying for the driver role with the DVLA before proceeding to the next stage of the recruitment process.

Last edited:

Tbone20

I applied last year when metrolink was recruiting I put in an application waiting a week or so then they sent me a bourdon test to do shapes then I was invited to queen's Road depot for further tests and interview I didn't get the job.they were having a big recruitment drive at the time until covid struck.hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.