• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bedford Area in the 1970s - Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Timer

Established Member
Hello chaps,

I have just procured a slide scanner and have been playing about with it.

Here are a few shots taken around the Bedford area in the 1970s.

In this photo, a steam heat 45 arrives at Bedford Midland Road with a semi fast for Nottingham or Derby one Saturday afternoon.
Bedford Midland Road 001.jpg

Here, we see 45045 on an Up Class 1 semi-fast crossing out onto the Up Fast at Kempston Road Jct ready for a run to St Pancras.
Kempston Road Jct 002.jpg

A photograph of the ubiquitous Class 127 Rolls Royce powered diesel hydraulic DMUs that operated all the suburban services on the line between St Pancras and Bedford
Kempston Road Jct 001.jpg

And finally, Kempston Road Jct signalbox from where the last two photographs were taken. This signalbox lasted until the Bedford area was comissioned into West Hampstead during 1980 or 81
Kempston Road Jct 003.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rugd1022

Great stuff OT, keep them coming if you please! The MML is on my route card and I often think back to how it all looked in the 70s before modernistation caught up with it, in fact there's still a surprising amount of old Midland infrastructure intact between Leicester and Cricklewood.

;)

Old Timer

Established Member
I photographed every signalbox and station inside and out during the 1970s between Bedford and St Pancras.

I even have some on-track shots taken within the various yards and depots as well.

Just need to find them in the loft.

Rugd1022

I photographed every signalbox and station inside and out during the 1970s between Bedford and St Pancras.

I even have some on-track shots taken within the various yards and depots as well.

Good man, I look forward to seeing htem if you manage to get them scanned and posted up here ;)

westcoaster

Established Member
Great photos OT, much different from today, never knew about kempston road box. Thanks foe sharing

John Webb

Established Member

Excellent subjects and pictures - if you have any of St Albans South and North boxes and the City station, we'd love to see them at St Albans South box, for obvious reasons. A picture of the fixed stop signal at the down end of the Up Slow platform would make our day!:D

By the way, what model slide scanner are you using? (Just that I've got 12,000 plus slides to sort out......)

Old Timer

Established Member
Excellent subjects and pictures - if you have any of St Albans South and North boxes and the City station, we'd love to see them at St Albans South box, for obvious reasons. A picture of the fixed stop signal at the down end of the Up Slow platform would make our day!:D

By the way, what model slide scanner are you using? (Just that I've got 12,000 plus slides to sort out......)
I did have a lot of slides taken at St Albans City, and you are more than welcome to print pictures and display them.

I worked St Albans South box a couple of times.

As for scanners, Lidl/Aldi have a 5mp scanner at £29.95, and it is one of those that I have used. That said you dont see them at every store. The local Aldi here still has a couple so I would be happy to get hold of one for you if you cannot.

Aictos

Established Member
Great photos showcasing what life was like, more please :)

John Webb

Established Member
I did have a lot of slides taken at St Albans City, and you are more than welcome to print pictures and display them.

I worked St Albans South box a couple of times.
Many thanks - have you visited us yet? If not, there is a book for former signalmen to sign when they come. Open this coming weekend 10am-4pm Sat and Sun for Heritage Open Days, by the way.

As for scanners, Lidl/Aldi have a 5mp scanner at £29.95, and it is one of those that I have used. That said you dont see them at every store. The local Aldi here still has a couple so I would be happy to get hold of one for you if you cannot.
Thanks for that - I'll have to take a look and see if our local store has one.

b0b

Established Member
wow, thanks for posting these, I never knew what Bedford looked like before the new station was built!

Rugd1022

I've been working various freights through Bedford this week... sad to say, the only thing marking the spot where Kempston Road 'box once stood is a pile of weeds and stinging nettles!

Status
Not open for further replies.