• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Aircon ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentish Paul

Travelled a bit in the last month and found train aircon varies widely.
Worst was a GWR HST which had 4 out of 8 coaches with failed aircon (on a 30c day). The best have been class 395s. Coming back from London last night was heaven.

OK many classes not travelled on but such as class 378 and S stock seemed poor. I suppose this is due to the frequent door opening and them remaining open for a while. The class 395 doors shut automatically after less than 10 seconds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DMU180

I agree with Matacaster and would go with TPE 185's. I commute on them everyday and not once so far has the air con not been below par. A prime example of a very well maintained fleet.

A shout out must also go to the Voyagers, very rare for their air con to not be working.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Class 185ss for me too, without a shadow of a doubt!

cactustwirly

Established Member
I've never had failed air con on a 166, but I always seem to get 165s

The best is probably a Siemens unit like a 450.

LeeLivery

Established Member
Travelled a bit in the last month and found train aircon varies widely.
Worst was a GWR HST which had 4 out of 8 coaches with failed aircon (on a 30c day). The best have been class 395s. Coming back from London last night was heaven.

OK many classes not travelled on but such as class 378 and S stock seemed poor. I suppose this is due to the frequent door opening and them remaining open for a while. The class 395 doors shut automatically after less than 10 seconds.

378s seem poor? They and 377s can be absolutely freezing when on full blast, never been on a unit colder.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
SE 376 (at least for me)

They don't have air con

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Another vote for 185s here. Ice box levels of coolness on extremely hot days. Almost makes one not want to get off!

Wolfie

Established Member
I agree with Matacaster and would go with TPE 185's. I commute on them everyday and not once so far has the air con not been below par. A prime example of a very well maintained fleet.

A shout out must also go to the Voyagers, very rare for their air con to not be working.

my bold

A MOST unfortunate double negative given the thrust of your comment! The second "not" completely changes the meaning - not once has it not been below par means that it is always below par!

Last edited:

Established Member
After a recent visit to Spain, it has to be the Barcelona Metro 9000 Series! I find Electrostar aircon to be very, very hit and miss.

EssexGonzo

Best for me is between the C2C stock and the TFL S trains - always nice and cool.

Worst has to be AGA's 360s. Always stuffy.

On Moderation
Worst has to be AGA's 360s. Always stuffy.

The 450s can be like that as well. I've found sitting right at the vehicle end helps, next to the cab or gangway. It seems like the cool air hits the vehicle end and then drops on to you, keeping you nice and cool.

Best recently have been some 458 vehicles, though they are very unpredictable as a lot seem to be demic currently with windows open.

class303

S Stock on the sub surface lines.

terrible in my experience. may as well not be there.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just back from New York recently and their air con is fantastic in the summer. Doesn't even compare to the oven S stocks.

DMU180

my bold

A MOST unfortunate double negative given the thrust of your comment! The second "not" completely changes the meaning - not once has it not been below par means that it is always below par!

:roll::roll::roll:

I would say that Desiros probably have the best air con. It always seems to work well and keeps the trains cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.