• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best exit at Kings Cross St Pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hi. I know at Kings Cross St. P, when coming from the South on the Victoria line it is best to be at back of train so one can have a shortish walk to escalator for main, old, ticket hall. Is there a similiar short cut from Piccadilly line wgen coming from the South. Trying to avoid the longer walkways if I can?. Tks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprunt

I don't know which end of the train you should be at, but the general advice is to always follow the signs towards the Metropolitan, H&C and Circle lines as that will bring you to the old ticket hall gateline where the interchange passage is.

Wolfie

Established Member
Hi. I know at Kings Cross St. P, when coming from the South on the Victoria line it is best to be at back of train so one can have a shortish walk to escalator for main, old, ticket hall. Is there a similiar short cut from Piccadilly line wgen coming from the South. Trying to avoid the longer walkways if I can?. Tks
Yes, also towards the back on the Pic...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi. I know at Kings Cross St. P, when coming from the South on the Victoria line it is best to be at back of train so one can have a shortish walk to escalator for main, old, ticket hall. Is there a similiar short cut from Piccadilly line wgen coming from the South. Trying nto avoid the longer walkways if I can?. Tks
Piccadilly line runs east to west rather than north to south. I’m guessing when you say coming the south you mean travelling on a train towards Cockfosters (Eastbound), if so, you’ll want to also be towards the rear of the train.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Piccadilly line runs east to west rather than north to south. I’m guessing when you say coming the south you mean travelling on a train towards Cockfosters (Eastbound), if so, you’ll want to also be towards the rear of the train.
I appreciate that officially Piccadilly services are "Eastbound" and "Westbound" but at Kings Cross - indeed, from the West End up to Cockfosters- the line is very much orientated north-south

robbeech

Established Member
My rule of thumb for all things deep level King’s Cross St Pancras is to always be at the “South”* end of the train. This will be as close to the escalators to the main ticket hall (and subsequent link to the sub surface lines) you can be.
For sub surface lines being at the East end of the train allows easiest transfer to the other lines and I actually find it just as easy to exit the station that way too.

* I thought at King’s Cross the Piccadilly line was considered north and south still but either way you want to be at the Russell Square end not the Caledonian Road end.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I appreciate that officially Piccadilly services are "Eastbound" and "Westbound" but at Kings Cross - indeed, from the West End up to Cockfosters- the line is very much orientated north-south
The piccadilly is a bit odd as it runs north to south or vv from Cockfosters, then east/west from around Holborn to Acton, then either south/north from there to Uxbridge or east/west to Heathrow.

Anyway I did as advised and went to the rear of the train to be by the correct exit at King's Cross.

Mikey C

Established Member
Yes, the old exit (towards the Metropolitan/Circle lines) is much faster for Kings Cross and the Euston Road

The new exit though is better for St Pancras domestic services or for people heading towards the canal

Status
Not open for further replies.