• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best lines to drive/travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
The WHL (particularly north of Crianlarich) is fantastic in my view, but I must say that the thought of 5 and a half hours on a crowded 156 from Glasgow to Mallaig does not appeal to me. That’s not a nice travelling experience, and I’m sure affects people’s perceptions of the route. It was best experienced from the Mk2 lounge car (or a Mk2 droplight) on the sleeper, particularly on a crisp day in winter or early spring; sadly those days are gone. The sleeper was a good way to do it as you were asleep for the less interesting part through suburban Glasgow and Dumbarton, typically waking up round Arrochar when you were already in some fantastic scenery.

The Far North beyond Dingwall sounds great, I must try it. I find that the 158s used on the Far North and Kyle offer a far superior passenger environment, and certainly the Kyle trains that I’ve used in the past few years are far from crowded, even in August. The journey seems peaceful and relaxing in a way that the WHL isn’t. I can imagine the Far North is similar, as not so many folk know about it and there’s not so much hype surrounding it.

The Kyle line is another fantastic 10/10 day out from Inverness, though I would recommend to everyone getting off at either Plockton or Duirinish and spending most of the day there as there’s some lovely coastline and two truly idyllic villages to explore, with some fantastic places to eat.
You can still do the WHL all the way from Glasgow to Mallaig on proper trains ...for a price. With CS to Fort William and then WCRC from there.

I travelled it on 156’s all the way with the modern blue seats to Fort William and old style green ones from there and it was a very enjoyable journey. I was too busy looking out of the window at the snow covered scenery to notice any 156-related discomfort. I was travelling at a quiet time if year however and took CS on the way home. The Far North felt more of a slog, but it was enjoyable still.

I agree about the Kyle line. 33B92A7E-3024-43F2-9F05-FA3BD5F15855.jpeg2872D237-E8E5-45CF-9897-45189234576A.jpeg9F75AD92-2211-482F-B736-7010E24DB563.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
Firstly, that's just my personal list. It's not definitive. Secondly, I haven't travelled every line in the country (although that is a long term objective).

I would have probably put some lines in Kent and parts of the SWML in my 'League 1' if I had continued. Kent and the South East have some leafy pleasant bits, but it's not known for scenic rail lines, is it? It then probably suffers furthermore from me as I'm generally not into 3rd rail and plastic units. Although the Javelin trains and lines do have a bit of interest for me. I have enjoyed 73's on the 3rd rail and 442's, but they aren't exactly abundant. When I think SE, I think spartan boring commuter units, the bleak Dungeness branch and HS1. It's simply uninspiring to travel compared to many of the other lines I've mentioned.

The WCML South is often quoted on here for its relative interest due to its engineering and rail interest. I personally enjoy flying around the corners full tilt betwixt canals and motorway on a Pendo. It's the most interesting of the mainline approaches to London, in my opinion.

I enjoy the Paignton line, as it's very much a holiday line for me, it's the route to the Dartmouth Steam Railway, which is undeniably stunning, it has quintessential GWR stations and it was until recently served by HST's. The thread is best lines to travel on, not necessarily best in terms of pure scenery.

Chiltern has 68's, even the units have nice interiors and I don't personally find it boring as it's a fairly unusual route for me, but it's a matter of opinion isn't it.
I have heard this said by several enthusiasts when they come to Kent the "Garden of England" that they are surprised and thought it is full of boring houses ,commuter trains and suburban lines. If you want fast trains then Javelins belting down HS1 past "motorways" and rivers. If you want rural backwaters try a class 171 unit on Hurst Green -Uckfield line with the deceptive rural stations like Hever, Cowden, Ashurst and Eridge or Marshlink line Ashford- Hastings. For engineering then see the tunnels and viaducts between Tonbridge and Hastings which until 1986 had special unique DEMUs for the line.
Finally still in the south a last call to travel on the oldest stock in use on NR - the Isle Of Wight 1938 tube stock or is it just another boring old commuter train.
We may not have loco hauled trains but there are some fine original stations with Deptford (built in 1836) one of the oldest in the country. There are many original stations from the 1850s still in situ.
I am not going to comment any further...!

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
I have heard this said by several enthusiasts when they come to Kent the "Garden of England" that they are surprised and thought it is full of boring houses ,commuter trains and suburban lines. If you want fast trains then Javelins belting down HS1 past "motorways" and rivers. If you want rural backwaters try a class 171 unit on Hurst Green -Uckfield line with the deceptive rural stations like Hever, Cowden, Ashurst and Eridge or Marshlink line Ashford- Hastings. For engineering then see the tunnels and viaducts between Tonbridge and Hastings which until 1986 had special unique DEMUs for the line.
Finally still in the south a last call to travel on the oldest stock in use on NR - the Isle Of Wight 1938 tube stock or is it just another boring old commuter train.
We may not have loco hauled trains but there are some fine original stations with Deptford (built in 1836) one of the oldest in the country. There are many original stations from the 1850s still in situ.
I am not going to comment any further...!
I’m not saying Kent is without merit, I just don’t think it rates higher than the lines I mentioned. I’m sorry if that offends you.

SouthStand

I'd like to nominate the Peterborough to Spalding section of line. Beautiful scenery and the nearby peaks are snow topped even in summer. The journey seems timeless as you speed through the Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire border at nearly 125mph whilst enjoying the delights of first class.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I'd like to nominate the Peterborough to Spalding section of line. Beautiful scenery and the nearby peaks are snow topped even in summer. The journey seems timeless as you speed through the Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire border at nearly 125mph whilst enjoying the delights of first class.

Not to mention the herds of wildebeeste sweeping majestically across the plain..... ;)

sw1ller

Established Member
The curve into Linslade Tunnel DF scares the hell out of me every time.
I’ve done it in the front of a voyager but I’ve heard it’s much better in a 390 as there’s more tilt. Still fun though.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I’ve done it in the front of a Pendolino, hence why it scares the hell out of me!

Statto

Established Member
North Wales Coast, Holyhead to Chester is often overlooked, the stations can be bleak, i don't like Bangor, Llandudno Junction & Rhyl stations, the line itself [especially on a fine sunny day] can be glorious, the stretch in Anglesey when you see the approaching mountains of Snowdonia, then section around Penmaenmawr when the line hugs the coast, & between Abergele & Rhyl, the section from Talacre to Shotton with views across the River Dee

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
North Wales Coast, Holyhead to Chester is often overlooked, the stations can be bleak, i don't like Bangor, Llandudno Junction & Rhyl stations, the line itself [especially on a fine sunny day] can be glorious, the stretch in Anglesey when you see the approaching mountains of Snowdonia, then section around Penmaenmawr when the line hugs the coast, & between Abergele & Rhyl, the section from Talacre to Shotton with views across the River Dee

Agreed with that. Sundown along the bits where you can see the sea is lovely. And yes, the stations could do with a few quid spending on them, including Chester which appears to have had a fortune spent on a refurbishment that hasn't in any considerable way enhanced it.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Is this irony or are you being serious?

theironroad

Established Member
Is this irony or are you being serious?

Any peaks in the flatlands of the fens will only be a few metres high and probably barely see snow in deepest winter.

Don't know Spalding, but pretty sure it's not on the ecml so the idea of 125 is a dream and bet the little dmu shuttling around won't have first class.

So, on balance I'd guess it's a wind up....

Requeststop

Yesterday, I travelled from Paddington to Truro. I have to sat that even though I have travelled over the sector hundreds of times, there is no better line to travel over than Exeter - Newton Abbot. Yesterday the view of the four cruise liners sheltering in Torbay (Including the Queen Mary 2)made the journey more interesting. The other line that excites me even though I have travelled on the line is St Erth - St Ives, but admittedly, I am biased as it's my home line.

Very good

dctraindriver

The view from my front cab between Clapham Junction towards Waterloo and all the varying towers gleaming in an early morning sunrise is pretty awesome.

Don’t laugh but driving the Hounslow Loop via Barnes Bridge is quite nice. And driving into Windsor and Eton Riverside from Datchet is a pretty little trip. Shame you have to drive to Staines to get there......

lancastria

Lines with good views?
Birmingham New Street to Wolverhampton.
Magnificent industrial history, with a unique set of views and interactions with the canals of the heroic canal age.

New Cross/Greenwich to London Bridge/Cannon Street/Blackfriars/Charing Cross.
A grade II listed building for the most part and also in part one of the rarest of things, a Georgian railway.
Also in part the world's oldest commuter line.
And enjoy the spectacular elevated views of South London and Canary Wharf, the Shard, the Thames and the City and Westminster as you speed over Bermondsey and along the South Bank.

And in the North, the Pennine charm of the Stalybridge to Mirfield line, the urban magnificence of Trafford Bar to Manchester Central, and of Deansgate Junction to Manchester Piccadilly, and the wilds of Preston to Carlisle at speed.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Lines with good views?
Birmingham New Street to Wolverhampton.
Magnificent industrial history, with a unique set of views and interactions with the canals of the heroic canal age.

Unfortnately, a bit of a "run down" vibe too.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Unfortnately, a bit of a "run down" vibe too.

Used to be very distinctive before the heavy industry largely went after the mid 1970's with the Patent Shaft steelworks and the foundries around Wolverhampton where you could see hefty blokes lugging around white hot cradles of molten metal....i

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Any peaks in the flatlands of the fens will only be a few metres high and probably barely see snow in deepest winter.

Don't know Spalding, but pretty sure it's not on the ecml so the idea of 125 is a dream and bet the little dmu shuttling around won't have first class.

So, on balance I'd guess it's a wind up....
As a final word on Spalding-Peterborough I would also nominate it as the best journey of my life (well, part of the journey). It was the first leg of my honeymoon. Sad to say I wasn't looking out of the windows to the side and missed the snow-capped peaks and herds of wildebeest in Lincolnshire. However, we did manage to end up with the leading saloon of the DMU to ourselves, confetti strewn everywhere and the driver had got the blinds up as we trundled south west into the setting sun. Sheer magic. :D

(The furthest point of the rail travelling was Kyle of Lochalsh by the way, which was also pretty, did have snow on the peaks and loads of deer to make up for the lack of of wildebeest.)

MrEd

As a final word on Spalding-Peterborough I would also nominate it as the best journey of my life (well, part of the journey). It was the first leg of my honeymoon. Sad to say I wasn't looking out of the windows to the side and missed the snow-capped peaks and herds of wildebeest in Lincolnshire. However, we did manage to end up with the leading saloon of the DMU to ourselves, confetti strewn everywhere and the driver had got the blinds up as we trundled south west into the setting sun. Sheer magic. :D

(The furthest point of the rail travelling was Kyle of Lochalsh by the way, which was also pretty, did have snow on the peaks and loads of deer to make up for the lack of of wildebeest.)

It’s fantastic seeing the deer bounding across the moor near Achnasheen. You nearly always see at least one on each trip (sometimes, especially in winter, there are great herds of them bounding away from the train).

The deer are more attractive than the wildebeest

Ayman Ilham

I've ridden the North Wales Coast a couple of times travelling between Manchester and Bangor; definitely the best railway route I have ridden on with plenty of sights to keep you hooked once you cross the border from Chester! You just can't beat the sight of mountains on one side and seaside on the other! Between Llanfairfechan, Penmaenmawr and Conwy, the line straddles right next to the sea as close as Dawlish if not more so!

Status
Not open for further replies.