• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best looking loco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It's interesting that a mixtures of liveries and locos are coming into this, and in many cases it refers to how a particular livery suits a particular loco or unit. Out of interest, does anyone feel that a particular livery isn't good overall, but suits a certain class (in particular one it wasn't designed for) or that a particular livery looks good on most classes, but looks awful on one or two. I'm not so sure about the former, but on the latter, I'd say DRS. It looks good on all classes, but I don't think it's as good on the 66s. I don't know why, it just does, probably due to the odd lines of the 66 in comparison to the other types. More of a half and half, I'd say MML's new livery. I think it looks good on the Meridiens, but I don't think it looks good on the HSTs. A lot of it is the implementation, with the green powercar breaking suddenly to the white coaches. It would work for a loco, but not for a HST. A smoother break on the powercar that emphasises that a powercar is half loco, half motor coach (not literally, although the old guards bit at the back is more motor coach than loco), and was done well on the Intercity liveries, in particular Executive, where it changes from the black and yellow of the locos (although on locos the yellow only went as far as the cab door) to the black and creme with red and white stripes of the coaches. On the whole though, I'd say the HSTs can take almost any livery and look good. A lot of modern types though really need a livery specially designed for them or else they look odd and loose some individuality.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.