• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Rail App for IPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
Just replaced my dated company android phone for a not quite so dated iPhone 6

I normally use the NRE app, but is there a better one?

My main purpose for the app is:

Journey Planning, including looking for some unusual routings and fare options
Checking train running information
Station arrival/departure boards

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
Hmm.. I don't really know about the iPhone side, but on Android, pretty much any TOC app will do that. As for those not affiliated with a TOC, they are mostly available for Android because it's very expensive to develop for the Apple platform, so you might have less choice unfortunately.

JaJaWa

Established Member
was going to try this then saw 'Offers In-App Purchases' so not bothered.
Think the in app purchase is for the Apple Watch app.

I haven’t bought it. It has all the standard features and no ads without, the NRE app in comparison has ads unless you pay £5.

Hmm.. I don't really know about the iPhone side, but on Android, pretty much any TOC app will do that. As for those not affiliated with a TOC, they are mostly available for Android because it's very expensive to develop for the Apple platform, so you might have less choice unfortunately.
Which rail app(s) are you referring to? I can think of quite a few that are iOS only but not any that are only on Android.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Which rail app(s) are you referring to? I can think of quite a few that are iOS only but not any that are only on Android.
Not so much for journey planning but for a while, the excellent SpotLog app was not available for iPhones. Even now it's free on Android but requires a purchase on iOS.
I also had the incorrect idea that Fasterroute was not available for iOS, which I was wrong about.

Trogladyte

This one was the best ‘Uk train times’ but the developer stopped working on it a couple of years back which was a massive shame.

Attachments

• BE423EA9-6951-419A-BEFE-7A48A06250B6.png
    BE423EA9-6951-419A-BEFE-7A48A06250B6.png
    405.1 KB · Views: 144

philthetube

Established Member
was going to try this then saw 'Offers In-App Purchases' so not bothered.
you can't judge it by that, could mean you pay a pound and never see another advert, in which case possibly well worth spending, or it could even mean that you can buy tickets through the app, in which case it may be something you want.

Please note that in this case I have no idea if either is true.

jh64

It's a £10 a year subscription for additional features - given that it's made by an independent solo developer, I'd have no problem paying that even if I didn't use all the added extras if that support means they're able to continue working on a useful app.

greaterwest

Established Member
Try Railboard. No adverts, and no in-app purchases. Simple and clean UI.

Trackman

Established Member
This one was the best ‘Uk train times’ but the developer stopped working on it a couple of years back which was a massive shame.
It doesn't work properly now either which is a real shame.
I liked the favourite journeys, so if I was at London bridge or Charing Cross one tap would tell me the next train home and platform etc.
Do any other apps have this feature where you can bookmark certain journeys without faffing about?

RailAleFan

Not an app but fully responsive and you can bookmark a station pair;

(from a single station click a location in service details for the station pair board)

Currently have plans for a "progressive web app" interface with station pair functionality tied in with the "Nearest station" departures and time of day to automatically bring up the usual journey from the current location at the current time...

Trackman

Established Member
you can't judge it by that, could mean you pay a pound and never see another advert, in which case possibly well worth spending, or it could even mean that you can buy tickets through the app, in which case it may be something you want.

Please note that in this case I have no idea if either is true.

I have no qualms about paying a developer for their work.
'In app purchase' just rings bells in my head.
I gave it a whirl, but it doesn't do what I want it to do.

[.n]

It doesn't work properly now either which is a real shame.
I liked the favourite journeys, so if I was at London bridge or Charing Cross one tap would tell me the next train home and platform etc.
Do any other apps have this feature where you can bookmark certain journeys without faffing about?

Commuter Check does this, developer posts on here sometimes

Trackman

Established Member
forgot to mention I've found one that does the trick and very good too but they want 99p a week

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
NRE really is trash which is a shame. I personally use Trainline as I like the UI - although of course never use it to buy a ticket!

alexanderm

I have no qualms about paying a developer for their work.
'In app purchase' just rings bells in my head.
I gave it a whirl, but it doesn't do what I want it to do.
Hi Trackman,
I am the developer of ByTrain. Thank you very much for giving the app a try!
I would be interested to hear what features you feel are missing from ByTrain. With regards to the in-app purchases, they are optional and help cover the costs associated with the application's data feeds.
I hope this helps!

tramdan

Hi Trackman,
I would be interested to hear what features you feel are missing from ByTrain. With regards to the in-app purchases, they are optional and help cover the costs associated with the application's data feeds.
I hope this helps!

I love ByTrain and use it regularly when travelling with work! I tell everyone about it, keep up the good work. :D

Trackman

Established Member
Hi Trackman,
I hope this helps!
I've had a further go with it and managed to set up the favourite journeys.
Not trying to nitpick, but I'd like a home screen (tab) with favourite departure boards and journeys (ala defunct train times app).
Also maybe a help guide on how to set up favourite journeys etc.
On favourite journeys I'd like it show the platform number without having to tap again.
All in all, I'm quite impressed with it once I've sussed it out, must be all these years with train times! Thanks.

tramdan

Really appreciate the kind words! Many more exciting things coming to ByTrain soon!

Great to hear! I travel all the time, all over the country for work so if you're ever after beta testers, I'd be more than happy to help out. It is such a handy app!

alexanderm

I've had a further go with it and managed to set up the favourite journeys.
Not trying to nitpick, but I'd like a home screen (tab) with favourite departure boards and journeys (ala defunct train times app).
Also maybe a help guide on how to set up favourite journeys etc.
On favourite journeys I'd like it show the platform number without having to tap again.
All in all, I'm quite impressed with it once I've sussed it out, must be all these years with train times! Thanks.
Thank you for your feedback! I will look into adding both the platform number and a help section for a future version. With regards to a "home screen", the favourites tab offers you quick access to your favourite stations and journeys. I hope this is what you are looking for! Please let me know if you have any more feedback or feature requests!
Great to hear! I travel all the time, all over the country for work so if you're ever after beta testers, I'd be more than happy to help out. It is such a handy app!
Thank you! Your help would be most welcomed. I normally announce beta versions of the app on ByTrain's Twitter account (@bytrainapp). There are some big updates to ByTrain coming soon so stay tuned!

djpontrack

Just downloaded ByTrain on my iPad, it looks very interesting. I will have a proper look at it tomorrow.

IJM Software

@IJM Software - I think you said you were possibly doing an Apple version as well as Android?

Hello! Yes, currently in development! It will have identical functionality to the Android version. I'm aiming to have it out there in the next two or three months, all going well.

Here is the link to the app on Google Play. The screenshots give a good idea of the functionality. The unique features are up to 3 optional from/to stations, and up to 3 journey "legs". The app aims to cut straight to the chase when it comes to presenting your live train times.

Last edited:

tramdan

Please let me know if you have any more feedback or feature requests!

I hope it's ok to come back to this thread with a sort of feature request! I don't know how easy it would be to do, but I would love to be able to have ByTrain run as a native app in MacOS. I know Apple have done a lot to make this easier for developers to do, and just wanted to flag how handy it would be!

Thanks in advance!

RailAleFan

Currently have plans for a "progressive web app" interface with station pair functionality tied in with the "Nearest station" departures and time of day to automatically bring up the usual journey from the current location at the current time...

With CIS work having taken a back seat for the last few months I've had a chance to look at this; can be used without device location access, just click "use without personalisation" below the Accept button on the welcome splash. Station boards load full service detail for the next 2 hours, select your destination from the drop-down list and it will be set as your usual AM or PM destination from that location...

alexanderm

I hope it's ok to come back to this thread with a sort of feature request! I don't know how easy it would be to do, but I would love to be able to have ByTrain run as a native app in MacOS. I know Apple have done a lot to make this easier for developers to do, and just wanted to flag how handy it would be!

Thanks in advance!
Apologies for the delay in replying to your post. Unfortunately, I am working on several other features for ByTrain at the moment taking up much of my time. I am planning on developing a version for macOS in the future. I hope this helps!

tramdan

Apologies for the delay in replying to your post. Unfortunately, I am working on several other features for ByTrain at the moment taking up much of my time. I am planning on developing a version for macOS in the future. I hope this helps!

That’s fabulous news, look forward to the new features!

Status
Not open for further replies.