• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best sounding DMU's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prestige15

On Moderation
Which is your favorite engine sound from a DMU?
Can be at speed, Idle, trash/accelerating or turning engine on

My pick would be the Voyagers at speed

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DustyBin

Established Member
That’s an easy one, classes 205 and 207!

In second place I’ll go for the class 156, they sound great when accelerating!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If it doesn't have to be a current one, then somewhere between a power-twin heritage DMU and a Paxman HST (well, they were classified as MUs originally :) )

Current ones, probably a Voyager starting off, or maybe a 185 (same engines). Not a 185 at idle, though, they idle very slowly and "lumpily", sounding like a knackered old lorry or something. Though a 4-engined FLIRT isn't bad. Basically, anything where you can hear the turbo just sounds nice and powerful.

Fincra5

Established Member
I've always enjoyed the sound of a Turbostar accelerating.

8J

185s have meaty sounding engines, particularly above 20mph when full power with the turbo becomes enabled.

I also like the whiney sounds you find on 158 units (both Cummins and Perkins engined units do this).

mpthomson

Probably 185s. In comparison the 170s sound awful, a horrible droning kind of noise that's audible way before they get to you.

Stathern Jc

Many will remember a whole range of sounds from the original DMUs when they were getting on a bit.
Most sounded good when working well. With the gear changes you had some idea what was happening, particularly at night.

Often sitting at the station you would hope thatdeparture time wasn't far off because the windows were in tune with the resonance of the engines at tickover and rattling horrifically, and also at a certain stage in each gear. Maybe that's not unique to the early DMU's.

Apologies if I drift a little from the intention of this thread here.
Not all parts that rattled were noisy. I remember in the early 80s "sitting at the end of the corridor" on a morning journey from Derby to Crewe in a Class 120. Unbeknown to me, the bolt on the door had quietly shuffled its way to "unlocked" and I didn't half get a shock when the door swung open by itself. You could say I almost shat myself; but I was in the right place!
Even now, nearly 40 years on, I still think of that when anyone mentions Uttoxeter.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
The 156 followed by the 153. Although there aren't many modern mainline DMU sounds that I dislike to be honest. (I quite enjoy the sound produced by Pacers, 158s, Networker Turbos, all forms of Turbostar and the units fitted with QSK19s)

bramling

Veteran Member
Which is your favorite engine sound from a DMU?
Can be at speed, Idle, trash/accelerating or turning engine on

My pick would be the Voyagers at speed

Has to be 201/202/203/205/207 DEMUs.

However for stuff which is still around, for me it depends. 150 and 156 are quite nice for loudness as a passenger when they get up to a reasonable speed. 168, 170 and 171 however have some more subtly soothing sounds. 165/166 also sound quite pleasing especially when up to speed.

Any of the Southern Region DEMUs. Nice English Electric sound

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Class 158, but only when heard from the inside (slightly higher pitch)

Polarbear

Established Member
Modern day - probably 185's. First generation, I always liked the rasp that 120's (Swindon units) had when accelerating & they could get a move on too!

darylyates17

Deffo a 185 for modern DMUs with their big exhausts and powerful engines,in certain places such as platform 4 at MCO you can hear the turbo spoiling up through the exhaust.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Deffo a 185 for modern DMUs with their big exhausts and powerful engines,in certain places such as platform 4 at MCO you can hear the turbo spoiling up through the exhaust.

I think there's something about turbo whine that makes a diesel engine sound powerful. Sadly they're much quieter on most modern kit (cars included).

ed1971

Original spec Pacer With Leyland TL11 engine and SCG R500 gearbox. They sounded fantastic. See here at 5m 40s:

In second place, I would go for first generation DMUs that had Leyland engines, such as Class 101s, 104s and 108s.

My favourites in more recent DMUs for sound are the Class 172 and 195s.

delt1c

Established Member
A 101 , sitting in the front coach leaving Glasgow Queen St. as you climbed cowlairs in the tunnel you would have thought you were doing 70mph at by the noise of the engines working at max revs and every bit of body work vibrating. In reality you would be lucky if the unit was hitting 20. If you were unfortunate enough to be in the rear coach your eyes would be streaming with the exhaust fumes. Ah happy days

Jamesrob637

Established Member
SNCF X45000 or whatever those old ones were you saw trundling along French branch lines in the 90s and early-00s. Often worked in pairs as got gradually freed up by newer stock.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I can think of a few that I feel...

The Class 166's when they accelerate (when you're sat in one) - whiny like a 158 only louder.

The Class 150 at 75mph - fantastic! I had the joy (positive I mean) of one from Leeds to Lancaster (10:18 service on September 30th last year). I forget the first stop after Leeds but it was just under 15 minutes away which meant like 10 minutes of 75mph running. My favourite part of a Class 150 trip.

The Class 175 and 180 - love that whine at idle. One thing I miss is the loud sound of a 180 coming in!

I know the Class 800 and 802 are bi-mode MU's (so technically DMU's but when on non-electrified sections of track) but I love the acceleration of these trains!

Status
Not open for further replies.