• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best sounding DMU's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Original spec Pacer With Leyland TL11 engine and SCG R500 gearbox. They sounded fantastic.

In second place, I would go for first generation DMUs that had Leyland engines, such as Class 101s, 104s and 108s.
Absolutely, got to love the sound of a TL11 engine, which was derived from the 0680 anyway used in many first generation units.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not really what the OP was asking for, but, FWIW, sat in a rake of Mk 2 coaches behind a Class 37 diesel engine loco in full throttle is a superb auditory experience.

DelW

Established Member
If the OP was asking about DEMU's, then I would have said the Hastings units

But I think he was asking about DMUs
The OP did say that, but also mentioned Voyagers in the original post, so is presumably accepting DEMUs as well.

(I'm biased, because Thumpers were my first thought too :) ).

py_megapixel

Established Member
Surprised nobody's said a Pacer's brakes yet <D

I'd probably say a Perkins 158 revving up from the inside. Nothing special about it; I just happen to like it...

Also, I know it's bimode, but there's something rather wonderful about the sound of the genset on an 80x ramping up overlayed on the distinctive screech of the VF-driven AC motors [*]

[*] I know VFDs and AC motors aren't unique to Hitachi, but they seem to sound a little different on every class, and Hitachi ones are rather distinctive.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Also, I know it's bimode, but there's something rather wonderful about the sound of the genset on an 80x ramping up overlayed on the distinctive screech of the VF-driven AC motors [*]

[*] I know VFDs and AC motors aren't unique to Hitachi, but they seem to sound a little different on every class, and Hitachi ones are rather distinctive.

If we're allowed bi-modes then Class 769, not because of the engine but because the inverter (or whatever it is) on the power car of a 319 or anything derived from it just makes a really nice sound which you still hear on a diesel-powered version, which resonates nicely with the classic DC traction motor sounds.

xotGD

Established Member
Class 101. Failed with a 37 on the front.

Class 108, failed with a 25 on the front not too shabby either.

DustyBin

Established Member
The OP did say that, but also mentioned Voyagers in the original post, so is presumably accepting DEMUs as well.

(I'm biased, because Thumpers were my first thought too :) ).

That was my interpretation also....

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The Rolls Royce engines on the 127s always sounded nice. Or any other 1st gen unit,who can't forget those farty exhuasts when pulling away!
Modern units,nah!

Last edited:

Prestige15

On Moderation
If the OP was asking about DEMU's, then I would have said the Hastings units

But I think he was asking about DMUs
It can be included, Still a diesel unit at the end

And for the 185 fans out theres i seen a couple of clips you shall enjoy

Last edited:

Ben Bow

On the current scene, the 185's are the stand out candidate, followed by Perkins engined 158's.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Personally I don't really understand the enthusiasm for the 185s.

To me, they don't sound of much except loud... they're not really particularly distinctive, having the same engines as the 175s, 180s, 220s, 221s and 222s.

Ben Bow

Personally I don't really understand the enthusiasm for the 185s.

To me, they don't sound of much except loud... they're not really particularly distinctive, having the same engines as the 175s, 180s, 220s, 221s and 222s.
The 220 family units have electric transmission so the engine power delivery is quite different, the 175/180's have bifurcated exhausts which again sound very different. The 185 has a relatively short exhaust, exiting through the saloon roof between the doors. So, yes, same basic QSK19, but very different sounds.

On Moderation
Of current units, I'd say the 755s - really nice sound those engines make.

Class 185s are also rather nice with that throaty exhaust sound.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I suppose this is obvious, but if DEMUs are included, then the 22x is my favourite sounding family of units.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Anything that is quiet, e.g. being sat in the unpowered trailer SO of a Class 124 Trans Pennine unit.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Here is a 127

Not for me, with the hydraulic transmission it just sounds like a particularly worn 150.

First generation units sound better with the manual (OK, semi-automatic) gearbox, though (having had a go) they're a bit of a handful to drive :)

Edit: now there's a proper DMU:

Such a shame (even though they don't sound good) that COVID prevented a similar send-off for the Pacers. (And doesn't the "Arriva Transpennine" announcement sound odd! :) )

Last edited:

gallafent

Not for me, with the hydraulic transmission it just sounds like a particularly worn 150.

First generation units sound better with the manual (OK, semi-automatic) gearbox, though (having had a go) they're a bit of a handful to drive :)

Edit: now there's a proper DMU:

Such a shame (even though they don't sound good) that COVID prevented a similar send-off for the Pacers. (And doesn't the "Arriva Transpennine" announcement sound odd! :) )
Yes, I agree, that's more like it. The semi-automatic gearbox was definitely much more fun. A good driver could make it amazingly smooth (also with the brakes) whereas the less light of touch were a bit more jerky!

I don't know what class(es) they were, but that's the memory I have of travelling west of Swansea when I was young before the sprinters took over.

Good degree of enthusiasm shown by the passengers!

ed1971

Yes, I agree, that's more like it. The semi-automatic gearbox was definitely much more fun. A good driver could make it amazingly smooth (also with the brakes) whereas the less light of touch were a bit more jerky!

I don't know what class(es) they were, but that's the memory I have of travelling west of Swansea when I was young before the sprinters took over.

Good degree of enthusiasm shown by the passengers!
The first generation DMUs sounded rather like AEC Routemaster and Leyland Panther buses which also used SCG (Wilson) gearboxes. Interestingly, despite having an updated SCG gearbox, the original spec Pacer sounded nothing like a first generation DMU. It sounded similar to Daimler Fleetline and Bristol VRT & RE buses.

However the prototype, railbus LEV1 did have a first generation DMU gearbox with a Leyland 510 'headless wonder' engine as well. Here is a YT video of it:-

Last edited:

Mat17

Weren't HSTs once classed as DEMUs? If so they have no competition (original PV engines of course).

Love the 185s for the accelerating row they make leaving a station, they look solid, sound powerful, good stuff.

Heritage wise can't beat a 104, although I do like a 101 running at speed. Long gone are those days sadly.

150s are an odd one, running at full thrash with the windows open they certainly sound loud, but really haven't wowed me though, seems to be something missing, maybe they just lack the feeling of raw power, sound more like they're just about keeping moving.

Not my video's but surely this needs to be up there with the best of them

The first generation DMUs sounded rather like AEC Routemaster and Leyland Panther buses which also used SCG (Wilson) gearboxes. Interestingly, despite having an updated SCG gearbox, the original spec Pacer sounded nothing like a first generation DMU. It sounded similar to Daimler Fleetline and Bristol VRT & RE buses.

However the prototype, railbus LEV1 did have a first generation DMU gearbox with a Leyland 510 'headless wonder' engine as well. Here is a YT video of it:-
I just noticed you posted it too

Last edited:

darylyates17

I can think of a few that I feel...

The Class 166's when they accelerate (when you're sat in one) - whiny like a 158 only louder.

The Class 150 at 75mph - fantastic! I had the joy (positive I mean) of one from Leeds to Lancaster (10:18 service on September 30th last year). I forget the first stop after Leeds but it was just under 15 minutes away which meant like 10 minutes of 75mph running. My favourite part of a Class 150 trip.

The Class 175 and 180 - love that whine at idle. One thing I miss is the loud sound of a 180 coming in!

I know the Class 800 and 802 are bi-mode MU's (so technically DMU's but when on non-electrified sections of track) but I love the acceleration of these trains!
I've always wondered what that wine is on the 175/180 I think its something to do with cooler group & air conditioning it does make a nice sound together with the rumbling exhausts when the engines are idling.

I think there's something about turbo whine that makes a diesel engine sound powerful. Sadly they're much quieter on most modern kit (cars included).
Most likely its to do with the size of the size of the engine,turbo & the exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.