• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Sport?

What is the best sport

• Football

• Rugby

• Cricket

• Golf

• American football

• Netball

• Tennis

• Athletics (I guess??? though there is a track vs field argument there too)

• basketball

• Badmington

• I ran out of ideas, please comment more below.

• Rugby Union

• Equestrian

• Boxing

• Motorsport

• Snooker

• Darts

• Volleyball

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
I do watch a lot of football but i can't stand the premier league and all it's bombast and the rampaging elephant that is it's hype machine. Luckily these days there are umpteen other top flight leagues available on the telly...

I see where you’re coming from there. I watch the Premier League still, but it’s Sky Sports News, Soccer Saturday and Talk Sport that irritates me the most. The games themselves and what happens inside the stadium I have no issue with. Some pundits I quite like, like Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ABB125

Established Member
Dodgeball is great fun.
We played Danish longball (or some sort of variation) once at school, which was the best sport I've ever played!

(I appreciate those may be a bit niche though! :D)

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Football would be my ultimate choice out of the options given in the poll though I do play volleyball as well. In a previous life I played Rugby and Basketball, both of which I enjoyed.

Big Tim

I've voted for motorsport, but my particular interest is an especially niche sub-class of motorcycle racing - sidecars! I've been born into the sport and am very heavily involved in organisation of British Championship events, and involved with running one of the top teams in the world at this moment in time.

However, I also absolutely loved playing rugby (mainly Union) to a decent level in my younger days, and also football - which I was no great shakes at, but did manage a successful amateur team, and ran the Dundee University Sunday League for several years. I still very much enjoy watching both of these sports live at the grounds and on television too.

I can't say what the "Best" sport is as the poll questions, but certainly given football is the clear leader, I would perhaps say that the results are pointing towards the "Most Popular" sport.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Really, the question should be ''what is the second best sport?'' as cricket is indisputably the best, no argument. Which other sport could come up with the notion of a ''timeless test''? The last one took place in South Africa in 1939, SA v England and failed to produce a winner when, after twelve days, the England team came up with the lame excuse that their wives were expecting them home, or somesuch, and jumped on a boat. It probably only failed to be targeted by a u-boat on the long journey back to Blighty because Neville Chamberlain was still giving Hitler the benefit of the doubt, and therefore war had not yet been declared. In all seriousness no other sport can compete with the marvellous literature of cricket (though others have superb examples, sometimes many) and cricket stats win hands down even if you ignore all the recent populist versions of the game.

Established Member
I do quite enjoy a game of crazy golf! :lol:

Although I'm not sure if that would be considered a sport - I've always classed it as a recreational activity.

Me too. I'm not very good at it, but it's absolutely hilarious.

Driving golf carts is fun too. :D

Darandio

Established Member
Me too. I'm not very good at it, but it's absolutely hilarious.

Driving golf carts is fun too. :D

I really like watching golf at the highest level, couldn't join you with a vote though as i've only got once choice!

Particularly love the Masters each year, it's one of the most beautiful things to watch.

Established Member
I really like watching golf at the highest level, couldn't join you with a vote though as i've only got once choice!

Particularly love the Masters each year, it's one of the most beautiful things to watch.

Completely agree, absolutely marvellous.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Hoping to try an interesting sport soon: draisine, hand-powered wagon on rails. That perhaps could be the top sport for rail fans.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Motorsport, closely followed by Rugby Union (proper Rugby) and T20. I should really get back into watching swimming again, although that's more a once every 4 years thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.