• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best UK 'High-speed train'

Best UK 'High-speed train'

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRat

On Moderation
Apologies for the long list. I didn't want to see 'Where's X?'. Anyway, who's up for the ultimate shoot out to see which UK High Speed train is considered the best by 'public' opinion. Also, it would nice to see an explanation as to why you picked what you picked.

Edit: I have decided to have this poll come to a close due to wanting to set up a poll between the top 3 of this poll to better come to the conclusion of the 'best' high speed train. Please continue voting if you wish for your favourite to be in the top 3. And maybe convince others that your choice is worthy competition for the final shootout ;)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I won’t vote as I have only travelled on just over half of the list, but the HST in its original 1970s state would be hard to beat. The APT wasn’t bad either. (Showing off that I travelled on it.)

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I've chosen e320 because it's based on the ICE3 which I love, although the e320's buffet isn't a patch on the catering facilities on the ICE3

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
390 because it transformed the WCML.
ICE-T (DB/ÖBB) if we are looking Europe-wide (effectively Pendolinos with superb interiors)

Ianno87

Veteran Member
80x; the modern image the railway needs to project, and superb performance-wise.

greatvoyager

Established Member
22x, introduced greater acceleration but also made it possible and easier for my family to travel with disabled relatives back when they first entered traffic.

On Moderation
I went 80x - bi-mode was a long-overdue game-changer.
Bi-mode long distance trains are not a game-changer. They are an embarrassment that shows up how backwards this country is with infrastructure investment (in this case electrification).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A very easy one to respond, this :)

That said, shouldn't A1 Pacific be an option ?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Bi-mode long distance trains are not a game-changer. They are an embarrassment that shows up how backwards this country is with infrastructure investment (in this case electrification).

I agree over electrification, but we can't fix that overnight. In the meantime they stop DMUs under the wires.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I agree over electrification, but we can't fix that overnight. In the meantime they stop DMUs under the wires.

The extent that the areas around Paddington and King's Cross have been de-carbonised without having to electrify miles and miles of route 'to country' is pretty notable.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Well said! Couldn't agree more on that!

80x aren't revolutionary really, we are still doing 125 just like the old trains! But the only difference now is we have a less comfy seat to sit in! :rolleyes:

najaB

Veteran Member
Alternate viewpoint: they allow electrification to roll ahead without being stopped by the 'difficult bits'.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

80x aren't revolutionary really, we are still doing 125 just like the old trains! But the only difference now is we have a less comfy seat to sit in! :rolleyes:

Their acceleration performance is on another level.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The extent that the areas around Paddington and King's Cross have been de-carbonised without having to electrify miles and miles of route 'to country' is pretty notable.

Indeed. And diesel fumes kicked out in cities and where people are (e.g. the thick fug that used to pervade Paddington's trainshed, alongside the smell of human excrement) cause a lot more harm than diesel fumes kicked out in the middle of rural Cornwall.

Seats are a matter of opinion. I am no fan of the Sophia, but it is definitely, for me, far, far better than the awful InterCity 70.

Really, in my view cosmetic things like seats should not be considered in a vote like this, you can always swap them.

On Moderation

Oh I like this post. :lol: The game changer was in 1976.

DustyBin

Established Member
Their acceleration performance is on another level.

True, but they still don't get you there quick enough to prevent discomfort! With decent seats they'd be adequate if not spectacular but I find them terrible as they are. In contrast I caught a XC HST the other day and it was fantastic, the seats actually look similar to those in the 80X but must be different?

MattRat

On Moderation
Exactly! :D

If 80x had comfy seats, and were able to go 140 mph and didn't have the cracks, then I'd call 80x a revolution. But seen as that's not the case, 80x are just Jap crap! ;)
They are actually built in Italy. The real Japanese trains are the Class 395.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I just don't want people blaming the Japanese for a product they didn't build. Put the blame where it belongs.
I thought the early class 800s were shipped over from Kasado works in Japan.

Gloster

Established Member
Aren’t the 8XX, or at least some of them, produced in the old AnsaldoBreda works. A works far famed for the IC4 and Fyra units, and Gothenburg and Oslo trams.

MattRat

On Moderation
I thought the early class 800s were shipped over from Kasado works in Japan.
Aren’t the 8XX, or at least some of them, produced in the old AnsaldoBreda works. A works far famed for the IC4 and Fyra units, and Gothenburg and Oslo trams.
I've seen people saying Italy, so apologies if it isn't. All I know for certain is it isn't Japan. If it was, the Class 395 would have had similar problems by now.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I just don't want people blaming the Japanese for a product they didn't build. Put the blame where it belongs.
The design and all the important bits are Japanese (except the diesel packs - MTU/Rolls Royce).
It doesn't matter where they are screwed together - and the ones that have cracks were not all built in Italy (the 802s) anyway.

CBlue

Exactly! :D

If 80x had comfy seats, and were able to go 140 mph and didn't have the cracks, then I'd call 80x a revolution. But seen as that's not the case, 80x are just Jap crap! ;)
Hardly objective when you consider that the infrastructure, not the trains, prevents 140mph running. Cracks can happen to any train - indeed the 68s and Northern's CAF stock have similar issues as did the British built 158s when they were new.

80x certainly aren't perfect by a long stretch but it'd be nice to see actual reasoning rather than moaning about seats (which is a fault of the spec laid down by the purchaser, not the design of the train itself).

Status
Not open for further replies.