• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham to Pakistan by bus...

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Plans for a bus service between Birmingham and Pakistan have been delayed because of problems over transit permits.

The 4,000-mile (6,437km) route to Mirpur runs through Iran, Turkey and near the Afghan border.

The service is being set up by the transport minister for Pakistan-administered Kashmir.

The route includes stopovers in Quetta, near the Afghan border, and in the Iranian capital, Tehran.

Tickets for the 12-day journey are expected to cost £130 each.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-22285575

The stopover in Tehran might be useful if anyone needs to scratch off their last few 141s! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MK Tom

Established Member
I wonder what frequency this would run at?

Incidentally, what's the furthest you can go from the UK on a scheduled public bus service?

Eagle

Established Member
That's 45p per hour of travel. Worryingly cheap...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Incidentally, what's the furthest you can go from the UK on a scheduled public bus service?

Are we allowing changes? (If so you can probably get at least as far as southeastern Europe, if not further.)

embers25

Established Member

London to Riga must be a competitor for longest?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
London to Riga must be a competitor for longest?

Theres various runs to Poland is there not?
And the award for "Most Ridiculous Bus Route" goes to...

do you really think so? It makes sense to me! Anyone game for a forum meet to do this?

@61653 HTAFC, I need all the 141s, that are left anyway. Looks like I'll have to try this afterall!

MK Tom

Established Member
I imagine this service would be fairly exclusively used by people who've moved from Pakistan and still have family there. We might stand out a bit trying to grice it!!

In my previous comment I wasn't allowing changes no. Eurolines run direct services to a lot of places in Germany. I was wondering if you can go any further than that in a single service.

Still wondering what kind of frequency this new service would run at. I can't see passenger loadings supporting a daily or possibly even weekly one. Unless of course it makes intermediate stops (for pick up and set down, not fuel/food stops).

dvboy

Established Member
There are people who do this already and it's advertised by word of mouth and is wholly unofficial, but they do not have fixed timetables and is very much done on an ad hoc bases, this sounds like someone who wants to make a serious regular business out of it.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
@61653 HTAFC, I need all the 141s, that are left anyway. Looks like I'll have to try this afterall!

Grabbed them all before they retired, my first 'completed' class- not that I tick off numbers any more. Would be interesting to see how they're getting on though- I preferred them to 142s, more character!

starrymarkb

Established Member
I imagine this service would be fairly exclusively used by people who've moved from Pakistan and still have family there. We might stand out a bit trying to grice it!!

In my previous comment I wasn't allowing changes no. Eurolines run direct services to a lot of places in Germany. I was wondering if you can go any further than that in a single service.

Still wondering what kind of frequency this new service would run at. I can't see passenger loadings supporting a daily or possibly even weekly one. Unless of course it makes intermediate stops (for pick up and set down, not fuel/food stops).

Sinbad do a run to/from Warsaw from the South west, I sometimes see it on the way to work. I suspect they do runs from elsewhere too

DiscoStu

I did London to Sydney in 2007, but it was an expedition, rather than a scheduled service. Took eight months, at a cost of £4,500. Bargain.

soil

Established Member
Not sure why you would want to do this. More luggage than a commercial airliner maybe?

starrymarkb

Established Member
TBH the Iranians wouldn't have a problem at all with Brits. They have to apply for a Visa but otherwise are free to tour. There are restrictions on Americans (must travel as an organised package) and Israelis (not allowed)

I know a few AvGeeks who've been over to bash Iranian airliners (sanctions mean they can't buy new, so they operate B707s and other rarities)

quarella

Not very due to the ludicrous restriction placed on how long a bus route can be which is why Carlisle to Edinburgh is now X95/95 changing number en route. Same bus, through fares but it keeps some civil servant happy. Coach services operate under different regulations.

radamfi

Established Member
Not very due to the ludicrous restriction placed on how long a bus route can be which is why Carlisle to Edinburgh is now X95/95 changing number en route. Same bus, through fares but it keeps some civil servant happy. Coach services operate under different regulations.

Actually, bus services can go long distance, but routes over 50 km must have a tachograph. The problem is that British bus services are run on a shoestring so consider a tachograph a luxury. Stagecoach route 6 from Lincoln to Skegness is over 50 km but has a tacho and keeps the same route number throughout.

tbtc

Veteran Member

Its all about driver hours - you can run long distance services, but you have to give staff longer breaks (understandable really).

Most bus companies want to keep things as basic/ cheap as possible, so you end up with "through" services where the vehicle stays the same, but the destination screen is updated part way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.