• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bishton Crossing Signal Box - rotting away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envoy

Established Member
I was in the east Newport area a couple of days ago and went down to Bishton level crossing. It is amazing how this old signal box is still in use on the South Wale Mainline - especially as few vehicles appear to use the level crossing and cars just pass through the height limited underpass. Anyway, what I find amazing is that Network Rail can’t be bothered to paint the building with the result that the wood above the windows is rotting away - see my photo.

BISHTON CROSSING SIGNAL BOX .jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
That's actually in better condition than places I work. Network Rail will have work scheduled in for places like that, but it's probably a long-term plan. One location I know has been waiting over ten years to have its steel windows replaced.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I was in the east Newport area a couple of days ago and went down to Bishton level crossing. It is amazing how this old signal box is still in use on the South Wale Mainline - especially as few vehicles appear to use the level crossing and cars just pass through the height limited underpass. Anyway, what I find amazing is that Network Rail can’t be bothered to paint the building with the result that the wood above the windows is rotting away - see my photo.
"Can't be bothered" is likely down to it being very close to the Up Main and would likely need a possession to do it in. That leaves you 2150 Saturday to 1000 Sunday to get it done if its a main line weekend, or 0010 to 0750 for the all line block, or 0001 Sunday to 0500 Monday or 2215 - 0605 Tuesday to Friday. Clearly you can paint in the dark with lights, or you pay for a disruptive possession or you wait until Christmas Day or Boxing day.

Elecman

Established Member
"Can't be bothered" is likely down to it being very close to the Up Main and would likely need a possession to do it in. That leaves you 2150 Saturday to 1000 Sunday to get it done if its a main line weekend, or 0010 to 0750 for the all line block, or 0001 Sunday to 0500 Monday or 2215 - 0605 Tuesday to Friday. Clearly you can paint in the dark with lights, or you pay for a disruptive possession or you wait until Christmas Day or Boxing day.
And of course you will lose a big chunk of that line blockage setting up the scaffolding tower and taking it down again

Llanigraham

Established Member
As above.

You will find many remaining signal boxes where the front windows are decidedly tatty because it is so difficult to get them replaced. Not only does it require the building of scaffolding but it also needs someone trained and able to take a Line Blockage. Not many window companies are so equipped!

I note from a recent photo that the windows in my Box have been replaced recently, and I understand this may have been done from the inside, which knowing how close the frame and block shelf is to the windows must have made the job "interesting"!!

Envoy

Established Member
Many thanks for your responses thus far. Yes , I am aware of how difficult it would be to get the up main possession. For the rot to have set in, it looks to me that it has not been painted for some years - despite this line having numerous closures whilst the wires were put up. If the wood is rotting away, then it becomes a much more difficult and time consuming job than just doing a paint job on sound timbers. Perhaps this crossing should just be abandoned and the signal box demolished?

Dr Day

Perhaps this crossing should just be abandoned and the signal box demolished?
If it was that easy it would have been done years ago! Unfortunately not a cheap or obvious replacement solution as access still has to be maintained for taller vehicles (as I understand it).

Envoy

Established Member
If it was that easy it would have been done years ago! Unfortunately not a cheap or obvious replacement solution as access still has to be maintained for taller vehicles (as I understand it).
Bishton village does have other roads in and out - see this Google Map view. (The white building next to the railway on the left of view is the new CAF factory).

pdeaves

Established Member

View attachment 85825
It is actually as bad as it looks? I know of a different situation (bridge pier in this case) that looked bad but a structures engineer was dispatched to the site and declared it no problem. Could that be a similar case here where the experts have no cause for concern? I'm not saying it is or it isn't, just asking a question.

Trackman

Established Member
Paint flaking I reckon, the timber I guess will be fine.
It's also up for an internal refurb.

Envoy

Established Member
I can see rot. Obviously, once the paint has flaked off, water penetrates the timbers and then the rot sets in. If you had wood on your house - you surely would get some paint on the timbers to protect your asset? Here is a crop to give you a better view of part of the structure:>

BISHTON CROSSING SIGNAL BOX  crop.jpg

peteb

But this photo clearly shows the windows have been replaced in upvc and you can see the double glazed units. That's why they stand out so brightly against the sub frames which are still timber and require redecorating. However are we sure these frames are rotten to the extent they require replacement? The issue is that even small epoxy repairs require all the necessary H&S equipment and thus line closure/possession.

Llanigraham

Established Member
And again, for repairs up there you would still require a line blockage to build the scaffold for the painters to go up. Even if they used ladders it would be the same.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I would say that's just horizontal boarding above the windows therefore neither structural or load bearing. Still,if rotten it would still need replacing at some point before it affects the wood behind.

Gathursty

Established Member
Not only does it require the building of scaffolding but it also needs someone trained and able to take a Line Blockage. Not many window companies are so equipped!
1) A scaffolding and a window fitter could both be contracted. You don't need a window fitter who can scaffold or vice versa. Is it a NR rule that you can only hire one company to do one task at a site at one time?
2) Say a line possession is given. I assume someone from Network Rail would just observe a contractor doing the scaffolding or window and make sure they adhere to site rules. Is this not the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.