• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool trams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

They should really swap a Fleetwood - Starr Gate with a Bispham - Pleasure Beach. Having this connection and not having it served by the full route seems dumb.
Probably easier for Fleetwood /Cleveleys passengers travel to Poulton Station! (Time BJ got the railway back open!!)
It mainly serves tourists. Bispham to Pleasure Beach is the busiest section - Promenade Hotels. (Like a ghost town atm)
BPN - will not be an easy branch to run! Luggage etc, probably be packed , unless they detrain non BPN passengers!
I have heard that they are down to 19 trams, as No 7 is out of service. Wonder if they are going to order a replacement?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Wouldn't it simply be easier to terminate at Blackpool North station rather than running through to Pleasure Beach? Saves a random reversal.

TC60054

I have heard that they are down to 19 trams, as No 7 is out of service. Wonder if they are going to order a replacement?
If 007 is out of service I'd be amazed if it was something which would cause a nine year old tram to have to be replaced. In any event....there's only eighteen trams anyway.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I do find that strange when they have Fleetwood Ferry & Fishermans Walk (14 letters) and Manchester Square (16 Letters). You think adding 7 more letters to the signs wouldn't be difficult, Uncle Tom's Cabin is only as long as Pleasure Beach (13 letters).
With punctuation and spaces, Pleasure Beach is 14 characters & Uncle Tom’s Cabin is 17. Fleetwood Ferry is 15. There comes a point when you can’t go longer as the font goes too small.
I’ve never seen Manchester Square on a Flexity

Clip

Established Member
Well that's the Wilko site fully cleared and from what I can see they have been doing some piling work too. Hopefully this will now crank into speed as the trucks back up traffic something rotten

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Well that's the Wilko site fully cleared and from what I can see they have been doing some piling work too. Hopefully this will now crank into speed as the trucks back up traffic something rotten
Good heavens, is this fiasco still going on!
Incredible efforts by the Council to win the Most Ineffective category.

:E

Work restarts on the North Station extension on Monday, with High Street, the road between the station and the terminus due to close for "about 3 months" in a couple of weeks for the new subway to be put in place.

Mikey C

Established Member
Throughout the year the vast majority of people using the tram just want modern, efficient transport, rather than something historic, when you're going to the shops, GP surgery or indeed Fleetwood Town, with shopping, luggage, pushchairs etc

I was initially saddened about the loss of the traditional vehicles (other than on certain special services) but having used the trams I entirely understand the decision.

Vespa

Established Member
You will still be able to ride the traditional trams in heritage services for nostalgia AND ride the modern trams for convenience, not much different from vintage buses at transport events today.

Clip

Established Member
Good heavens, is this fiasco still going on!
Incredible efforts by the Council to win the Most Ineffective category.

:E
To be fair covid hasn't allowed many people on site for a while and it looked like it was pretty hard to take down with just one machine doing it in such an area

pieguyrob

A bit off topic, but, some of the heritage trams are moving out due to the shed being repurposed for charging electric buses.

Back on topic, the big hole where Wilko's used to be, I was hoping to see the old platforms from the original north station, or Talbot Rd Station as it was known when it opened.

Fyldeboy

Back on topic, the big hole where Wilko's used to be, I was hoping to see the old platforms from the original north station, or Talbot Rd Station as it was known when it opened.
Off topic in response to your attempt to get on topic - if you go to the wasteland Car Park where Central Station / Hounds Hill Station used to be, before it is finally re-developed, you can still make out the platforms there.

pieguyrob

Off topic in response to your attempt to get on topic - if you go to the wasteland Car Park where Central Station / Hounds Hill Station used to be, before it is finally re-developed, you can still make out the platforms there.

Yeah. You can see the the tarmac and concrete strips. I presume they put tarmac on top of the old platforms and put concrete where the lines used to be. The entrance/exit on to Central Drive is where the excursion platforms used to be.

I love driving my cab down Yeadon Way pretending to be a train! Oh the simple pleasures in life!

D1023

Quick Questions:
Does anyone have details of what trams have been moved out?
What can be seen from the roads outside the depot?
Have the repairs to the roof of Rigby Road been carried out
Any news of a possible depot open day?

pieguyrob

What can be seen from the roads outside the dep

If I end up down that end of town I will have a look if you like.

Just been now, 0045, I work nights. The trams I could identify in the dark are, working from right to left:-
754- works tram
unimog
8 - omo
717 - balloon
621 - brush railcar
718 - rebuilt flat front balloon
Trawler
Frigate
645- centenary car.

I hope this is useful.

Last edited:
Reports of work overnight next week, forcing an early finish and slightly later start to service, due to connection of the extension works in Talbot Square. Not sure exactly what's planned.

pieguyrob

There were 2 road/rail cherry pickers, parked in Talbot Square last night.

The junction of the prom and Talbot rd has temporary traffic lights. The worker guys have been putting up cables between the lampposts to support the catenary wires.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
They have finally started putting up some steel work on the site now. Seem to be making progress

They have also uncovered the end of the tracks and started to lay the track mountings, although to be honest the ones I saw weren't actually fixed in place yet, but they are on site. I've been told that most of the tram ground work should be finished this week except in the location of the stop which is awaiting the steel framework being completed, but that ends well on it's way.

superkev

Established Member
They have also uncovered the end of the tracks and started to lay the track mountings, although to be honest the ones I saw weren't actually fixed in place yet, but they are on site. I've been told that most of the tram ground work should be finished this week except in the location of the stop which is awaiting the steel framework being completed, but that ends well on it's way.
Picture taken Sat from Tower showsxroute of tracks across wilko spire. K

Attachments

• 0_IMG-20210613-WA0002.jpg
    0_IMG-20210613-WA0002.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 20210614_100032.jpg
    20210614_100032.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 156

Steddenm

Speaking to one of the guards on the trams earlier regarding the new extension to North Station and they reckon that the routes will be...

Fleetwood Ferry - Blackpool North Station
Blackpool North Station - Starr Gate
(same tram)

Starr Gate - Blackpool North Station
Blackpool North Station - Fleetwood Ferry
(same tram)

Pleasure Beach - Little Bispham (shuttles)

Pleasure Beach - Tower / Cabin / Bispham / Fleetwood Ferry (heritage)

Plus there may be some additional peak services from Fleetwood Ferry to Starr Gate avoiding Blackpool North.

Also good to see that some of the new ticket machines are in use albeit contactless cards still can't be used until next month.

Speaking to one of the guards on the trams earlier regarding the new extension to North Station and they reckon that the routes will be...

Fleetwood Ferry - Blackpool North Station
Blackpool North Station - Starr Gate
(same tram)

Starr Gate - Blackpool North Station
Blackpool North Station - Fleetwood Ferry
(same tram)

Pleasure Beach - Little Bispham (shuttles)

Pleasure Beach - Tower / Cabin / Bispham / Fleetwood Ferry (heritage)

Plus there may be some additional peak services from Fleetwood Ferry to Starr Gate avoiding Blackpool North.

Also good to see that some of the new ticket machines are in use albeit contactless cards still can't be used until next month.
I wonder how many visitors will remain on tram to BPN and do 'tour de town' rather than change or wait for a direct service.
What time the first tram will arrive at BPN tram stop? Might wake the hotel's guests up - bump bump lol!

Clip

Established Member
I wonder how many visitors will remain on tram to BPN and do 'tour de town' rather than change or wait for a direct service.
What time the first tram will arrive at BPN tram stop? Might wake the hotel's guests up - bump bump lol!
Guess that will depend on the timetable and how the shuttles fit in. It gets difficult because north pier tram stops are either side of Talbot square so get off at pleasant Street one way or tower the other. Be good to see the timetables to see if any time is gained once they're out

Steddenm

One of the "large door" double deck cars was out today on normal service (not heritage) plying it's way up and down from Starr Gate to Fleetwood Ferry

New track going down this morning.

Attachments

• 206504435_823820985229696_3615886828934769730_n.jpg
    206504435_823820985229696_3615886828934769730_n.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 94
Status
Not open for further replies.