• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bleakest / loneliest mainline station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tracked

Established Member
Barnetby - was doing a rover 5 years ago and the TPE service I was meant to get was cancelled, the pub was ok.

Rugeley TV - another rover last year and another cancelled train, surprised at the lack of facilities, most local stations round here have more

Alnmouth - in fairness it was snowing when I went Feb 2019

alangla

They say a picture paints a 1000 words.... WBQ at its finest. o_O
It’s the smell of Persil that sets WBQ apart from anything else. With that and the chimneys/cooling towers of Fiddler’s Ferry gone the whole character of that part of the WCML journey will totally change

Djgr

Established Member
I wouldn't say the station was any more interesting than any other Merseyrail station but I do like the view from the line of the interesting "model village".
Not at platform level but the station building entrance and booking hall are impressive and in keeping with their surroundings.

mossleyhill

Stockton is bleak, bleak, bleak. Looks as if it has been stripped of everything that might make a station feel welcoming.

For some reason the prospect of a 50 minute change at Peterborough makes my heart sink, even though it has facilities of a sort, and some bustle. It needs a micropub or two on site.
In the pre corona days of late Feb, a work colleague of mine from London and I had been put up in Stockton and had to head into Leeds for a conference/ away day type thing. Being used to 27 carriage trains every 5 minutes and a Pret and WH Smiths as bare minimum down south, I don't think he was impressed when we rocked up to Stockton, faced with a ten minute wait on an empty, exposed platform.

greeny11

Bidston is pretty bleak, as is Moreton - which is by the old Cadburys factory and surrounded by industrial units.

hermit

Westbury. Ugh.

Yes, Westbury’s can be a bit bleak and lonely, though it has attractive traditional buildings. The main problem for me has been that trains from the West Country are almost invariably timed to miss the connection to Southampton/Portsmouth by a minute or so, leaving me with an hour to do not very much.
There used to be a nice independent cafe, but I believe it’s now been taken over by one of the chains, so not an improvement.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, Westbury’s can be a bit bleak and lonely, though it has attractive traditional buildings. The main problem for me has been that trains from the West Country are almost invariably timed to miss the connection to Southampton/Portsmouth by a minute or so, leaving me with an hour to do not very much.
There used to be a nice independent cafe, but I believe it’s now been taken over by one of the chains, so not an improvement.

When I changed there a couple of years ago, I thought "nice station but could do with a decent bar".

BeijingDave

Surprised to see so many votes for Warrington BQ. Yes, it's bad, but there is a warm waiting room, coffee shops and usually plenty of foot traffic so it doesn't feel particularly threatening.

billio

Middlesbrough - it's not bleak nor lonely but there just seems something wrong with it, as though it was inhabited by ghosts. There is an aura which is cold, empty and left behind - something you experience on approach from the surrounding streets.. A once grand station that's seen better times and better services and now is crumbling into irrelevance.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Middlesbrough - it's not bleak nor lonely but there just seems something wrong with it, as though it was inhabited by ghosts. There is an aura which is cold, empty and left behind - something you experience on approach from the surrounding streets.. A once grand station that's seen better times and better services and now is crumbling into irrelevance.

Until the Whitby train arrives and it suddenly comes back to life.

I like it. Plenty of cover and you can get a cup of tea when changing. Beautiful architecture as well.

Requeststop

Carstairs - stuck there one dismally windy, rainy cold late evening as part of my all line coverage. I was mentally begging the passing trains to consider stopping to pick me up to take me back to Glasgow. When my train came around the curve from Edinburgh I was so relieved. Never been so happy to board and ride an XC service.

Gathursty

Established Member
Can Crowhurst be counted as a mainline station? It didn't appeal to me when I saw it from the train.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Can Crowhurst be counted as a mainline station? It didn't appeal to me when I saw it from the train.
Yes it can. It's on a main line.

And it looks very bleak since all the buildings were demolished. I suppose the only thing in its favour is that the countryside is quite pretty.

Cdd89

Established Member
Those dreadful steep staircases! I can remember really struggling to get my suitcase up those when I used E&C about 5 years ago
But once you finally get to the top, you’ll be delighted to know that the rebuilt waiting room on the island platform now offers level access to save you the trouble of one extra step :lol:

Parallel

Established Member
Although I've never actually been there (only passing through), Edinburgh Gateway looks quite bleak/lonely from photos out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.