• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BLS The Tower Tractors 3rd & 4th September 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Looks an interesting one this one:

The Tower Tractors - Saturday 3rd September 2022 to Sunday 4th September 2022​

We are delighted to present a two-day loco hauled exploration of the North West, raising funds for Martin House Hospice. Through the course of the weekend, we will visit a number of branches that rarely see a loco hauled passenger train.

Saturday highlights include Preston Up & Dn Goods, Tuebrook Sidings, Garston Chord, Garston Through Sidings, Ditton Reception No 3, Stafford Royal Mail Terminal, Arpley Shunting Neck and ‘The Hole’ at Warrington.

Sunday highlights include Blackpool South loco hauled, Blackburn King Street loop, Colne branch loco hauled, Blackburn Up & Dn Goods, Clitheroe to Hellifield (part of ‘DalesRail’), Hellifield DGL, KWVR Network Rail connection and Neville Hill TMD.

This charter, operated by West Coast Railways, will feature WCR Class 37s operating top 'n tail throughout.

Our Buffet Car will serve a wide range of hot and cold drinks, snacks and light refreshments. A number of hand-pulled real ales and ciders will be available.

An afternoon leg stretch break / photo stop will be provided at Liverpool Lime Street on Saturday, and at Keighley and Worth Valley Railway on Sunday.

There will be a charity raffle, with all proceeds donated to our good cause.

With huge thanks to Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, on Sunday there will be a return trip from Keighley to Oxenhope, expected to feature Class 37 37075. The cost of the trip is included in the fare shown below. There is a possibility of bonus traction at Neville Hill, subject to agreement and availability.

All times and routing are indicative until confirmed by Network Rail. Final routing and timings are usually confirmed by Network Rail five days before travel and will be enclosed with your e-ticket.

Saturday - The Garston Growler

Lancaster P5 (PU 07.10)Preston P6 (PU 07.35)Warrington Bank Quay P2 (PU 08.10)Crewe P5 (PU 08.45 / RM) – Wilmslow P1 – Manchester Airport P4 (RM) – Manchester Piccadilly P3 (RM) – Hadfield (RM) – Manchester Piccadilly P13 – Ordsall Chord – Manchester Victoria P6 (RM) – Salford Crescent – Bolton P5 – Euxton Jn – Preston Up & Dn Goods (RM) – Springs Branch Jn – St Helens Central – Tuebrook Sidings* (RM) – Bootle Branch Junction (RM) – Liverpool Lime Street (Break / RM) – Liverpool South Parkway – Garston Church Road (RM) – Garston Through Sidings – Ditton Reception No 3 – Acton Bridge – Crewe – Basford Hall Up Independent – Stafford Royal Mail Terminal (RM) – Crewe Dn Fast – Arpley Shunting Neck* – Warrington ‘The Hole’* – Preston P3 (SD 20.45 / RM) – Rufford – Ormskirk (RM) – Preston P1 (SD 22.00)Blackpool North P2 (SD 22.26 / RM)Preston P1 (SD 23.05)

* Subject to confirmation and inspection.

Sunday - The Ribble Ranger

Blackpool North P2 (PU 07.27)Preston P1 (PU 07.52 / RM)Blackpool South P1 (PU 08.25 /RM)Preston P2 (PU 09.15) – Blackburn King Street Loop - Blackburn – Colne (RM) – Blackburn Up and Dn Goods (RM) – Daisyfield Jn – Clitheroe – Hellifield DGL (RM) – Keighley P1 (RM) – Keighley Stn Jn (RM) – Keighley P3 (off train break / RM) – Keighley Stn Jn (RM) – Shipley – Bradford Forster Square (RM) – Leeds – Neville Hill TMD (RM) – Leeds P12 (SD 18.00)Bradford Interchange P2 (SD 18.25 / RM) – Halifax – Hebden Bridge – Blackburn P4 (SD 19.33)Preston P4 (SD 20.03)Lancaster P3 (SD 20.33)

Passengers will be required to arrange their own overnight accommodation in Preston or Blackpool.

IMPORTANT FOR ALL BOOKINGS - PLEASE STATE WHERE YOU INTEND TO JOIN ON SATURDAY AND ALIGHT ON SUNDAY (this is for coach stewarding purposes and can be changed subsequently by notification).

Initially bookings will be open for both days only. If capacity permits we may be able to offer bookings for single days in due course.

FARES:
First Class, Non-Dining, at a guaranteed table for two - FULL£354.00
First Class, Non-Dining - FULL£304.00
Standard Class£199.00
Accompanied under 18s benefit from a £99.50 reduction in all fares.

Please note that we are unable to accept bookings from under 18s unless accompanied by an adult.

Children under five years of age may accompany fare-paying adult passengers free of charge. However, children under five years of age who are travelling free may only occupy a seat which is not required by a fare-paying passenger.

All queries should be directed to the Bookings Officer, by email [email protected]

Please do NOT email the Bookings Officer to try and book or save spaces on our fixtures. Bookings CANNOT be made by email and must be booked online via the website.

Note that tickets are NOT transferable and smoking/vaping is not permitted on the train. The Society will not accept any liability arising from changes imposed by any third parties (either before or on the day) or any consequences of any late running that may occur. Please be cautious about connections and buying advance train tickets. Please note no refunds will be entertained on cancellations within seven days of the fixture. Tickets will be sent out approximately five days before the fixture – where possible this will be an e-ticket. Standard Branch Line Society Terms and Conditions apply to all participants (these can be viewed from the online booking form).

WestCoastClass37.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've fixed the link for you ;)

Gutted that I cannot make this. The team behind these tours always lay on a good show! Whilst the track isn't quite as exciting as some that they've done this year (Lackenby Looper is going to take some beating!) but Neville Hill would have been worth the price of admission and doing Clitheroe to Hellifield behind 37s would have been fun (and I need the line to boot!). But you can't make 'em all sadly!

Kite159

Veteran Member
In an ideal world I would have booked on to do the tour, where the amount of track I would have scored would be minimal (at least on the Saturday, Sunday the big draw would be the connection to the heritage line at Keighley, and I believe the tour ticket includes a ride on that line behind another 37). It sounds like it will be a good tour for more unusual lines behind a loco.

Sadly with finances looking tight I can't justify the overall cost of the tour, accommodation & tickets to reach Preston/Blackpool, especially at short notice as it would have been around £350+ :(

Iskra

Established Member
I've fixed the link for you ;)

Gutted that I cannot make this. The team behind these tours always lay on a good show! Whilst the track isn't quite as exciting as some that they've done this year (Lackenby Looper is going to take some beating!) but Neville Hill would have been worth the price of admission and doing Clitheroe to Hellifield behind 37s would have been fun (and I need the line to boot!). But you can't make 'em all sadly!
Thanks!

I agree, the second day looks amazing!

In an ideal world I would have booked on to do the tour, where the amount of track I would have scored would be minimal (at least on the Saturday, Sunday the big draw would be the connection to the heritage line at Keighley, and I believe the tour ticket includes a ride on that line behind another 37). It sounds like it will be a good tour for more unusual lines behind a loco.

Sadly with finances looking tight I can't justify the overall cost of the tour, accommodation & tickets to reach Preston/Blackpool, especially at short notice as it would have been around £350+ :(
Agreed, I'd be looking at £400-500 and I can have a holiday for that kind of money. I happen to have that weekend off and would have done day 2 if it was on its own (could still happen), but yeah, not as a two-day affair requiring two nights in hotels, travel to Preston etc, when I'm not that interested in Day 1.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's a shame it's only available as a 2 day option at the moment. I'm already doing another tour on the Saturday and whilst this one sounds very good, I'm not going to throw away the booking I already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.