• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blue Pullman Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
In relation to multiple working the BP in its original form was the same as the HST - the two ends worked in multiple with each other but there was no capability to work in multiple with a separate train.

Exactly what I was trying to convey. Really more of a fixed formation diesel unit train without the 'multiple' bit in the general sense.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
What's the plan for accommodation? Do we know yet? All First?
At Eastleigh they have 6 TF, 2 TRFB, 1 TGS and 2 TC. If I was betting I'd say the TGS is getting the first class interior from the TCs and will be a TGF. That would give them an 8 or 9 car all first class set with 5 or 6 TF, 2 TRFB and a TGF.

Journeyman

Established Member
At Eastleigh they have 6 TF, 2 TRFB, 1 TGS and 2 TC. If I was betting I'd say the TGS is getting the first class interior from the TCs and will be a TGF. That would give them an 8 or 9 car all first class set with 5 or 6 TF, 2 TRFB and a TGF.

Yeah, that seems to work. I'm guessing one TRFB will act as kitchen for full dining passengers, and the other will be the buffet for the rest of the train.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Presumably the render is inaccurate, as that only appeared to have one catering car which doesn't seem enough.

Journeyman

Established Member
Presumably the render is inaccurate, as that only appeared to have one catering car which doesn't seem enough.

I think it's fair to assume it's "generic photoshopped HST" and doesn't represent the final train.

Just looking through this thread. I've one question for those frothing at the mouth/gagging at the idea of a Blue Pullman liveried 125. In this post privatisation era of the train, complete with it's "rainbow" of colour schemes. What's the correct livery/colour scheme for a 125?

Richard Scott

Established Member
Just looking through this thread. I've one question for those frothing at the mouth/gagging at the idea of a Blue Pullman liveried 125. In this post privatisation era of the train, complete with it's "rainbow" of colour schemes. What's the correct livery/colour scheme for a 125?
I would love to see one in original blue/grey as thought they looked the dog's watsits in that livery. Think the blue Pullman idea is a good one though. May recapture some of the old romance of rail travel that's sadly lacking in today's pack em in culture.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Surely that would depend on the era that it was intended for the set to represent? That being said InterCity "Swallow" seems immensely popular with certain organisations

Don't worry about the TGS too much. LSL tends to use a full brake as staff accommodation on its loco hauled sets so it might well use the TGS for the same purpose and indeed storing a few boxes of brochures, boxes of cleaning materials etc.

Surely that would depend on the era that it was intended for the set to represent? That being said InterCity "Swallow" seems immensely popular with certain organisations

I rest my case there Hexagon, as there are so many different schemes, including the original prototypes' livery ;).

Oscar46016

Don't think there is an "correct" livery - all locos and coaches ( even steam ) have gone through different liveries I thin it's probably down to personal choice of which you prefer rather than saying one is right and another wrong.

I myself can't see further than the original 1976 yellow and blue power cars and blue / grey stock

Neptune

Established Member
Don't think there is an "correct" livery - all locos and coaches ( even steam ) have gone through different liveries I thin it's probably down to personal choice of which you prefer rather than saying one is right and another wrong.

I myself can't see further than the original 1976 yellow and blue power cars and blue / grey stock
Absolutely agree. I grew up with them in original livery but think they look best in IC swallow livery. There is certainly no right or wrong livery and if you own it, you can paint it how you like.

BrianW

Established Member
I liked the 'Swallow' livery too.
I imagine there'' be a website somewhere that will document dates of every change of livery on every vehicle ... not me ;)
The one you like most is the 'correct' one ...

My case in point Oscar. Which in turns, puts all this froth/gagging in it's place over the liveries/colour schemes............o_O

pdeaves

Established Member
There's been a ton of stuff on here about finding new uses for HSTs. Now someone has come up with a real use. Let's be grateful! Not 'Blue Pullman' of the 1960s, true, but think of it as 'what Blue Pullman might have been if BR had wanted the brand to continue'. Given that trains like Northern Belle attract customers, I am sure 'son of Blue Pullman' will do well.

DB

Is there any indication of what they plan to do to the interiors? They would be fine for charter use, but as this is obviously intended as a premium service I would assume new seat covers, carpets and curtains at least?

Killingworth

Established Member
Is there any indication of what they plan to do to the interiors? They would be fine for charter use, but as this is obviously intended as a premium service I would assume new seat covers, carpets and curtains at least?

I think the standards shown in this Statesman video look impressive, although not in an HST. Reality is often not up to marketing hype, but it looks encouraging.

xotGD

Established Member
Is there any indication of what they plan to do to the interiors?
Black PVC sofas and stripper poles?

Or is that not what they mean by "Blue"? ;)

It needs to be a cut above regular First Class, that's for sure.

Journeyman

Established Member
I think the standards shown in this Statesman video look impressive, although not in an HST. Reality is often not up to marketing hype, but it looks encouraging.

It'll be interesting to see how they play it. Traditional Pullman car decor was pretty ornate and done in a very typically British "gentleman's club" sort of way, but the Blue Pullman broke with that and went for a much more modern and minimalist approach. You can probably recreate that quite faithfully in a Mark 3.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There's been a ton of stuff on here about finding new uses for HSTs. Now someone has come up with a real use. Let's be grateful! Not 'Blue Pullman' of the 1960s, true, but think of it as 'what Blue Pullman might have been if BR had wanted the brand to continue'. Given that trains like Northern Belle attract customers, I am sure 'son of Blue Pullman' will do well.
Yes. Totally agree, and it’ll be an interesting new chapter in these trains history.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Where did the TFs come from? If they had come from GWR then that interior would do just fine - anything else would need some refurbishment (and still probably wouldn't be as good!)

DB

Where did the TFs come from? If they had come from GWR then that interior would do just fine - anything else would need some refurbishment (and still probably wouldn't be as good!)

They are ex GWR.

While they would be fine for general charters, this sounds like it's intended as a premium service along the lines of the Northern Belle, so untouched GWR interiors wouldn't really be up to that.

A great use for an HST and I love the livery. The only thing that grates is the cab front just not looking like a proper Blue Pullman at all what with the sharp nose end, front angles and single panel window. I'd love to see a replica cab end moulding on the front and rear but then I'm not the one paying for it. Jolly good luck to them!

jumble

It was the original uniform of the Western Region Pullman drivers uniform, it lasted officially only about two years and was replaced as impractical though some drivers continued to wear it for a few years.

The London Midland drivers worn a completely different style and colour of uniform that was far more practical in a railway that still had a large amount of smoke and soot drifting about from steam locos.

I am a bit late with this reply but I was amused by Prince Philip in connection with this

a letter to Western Region General Manager John Hammond before the Marylebone exhibition, the Duke had expressed an interest in driving “his” locomotive – perhaps not least as his wife had driven the last Castle Class locomotive built at Swindon some eleven years before. Before entering the cab and being shown the controls, he was offered a diesel drivers cap and white coat by Western Region Running and Maintenance Officer HEA White. While accepting the cap, His Royal Highness declined the coat with his usual tact and charm saying that he didn’t want to look like a bloody milkman!

malc-c

That ain’t going anywhere without a yellow front.

Hull trains "Pargon" fleet don't have yellow fronts or rears..... but they are in service....

I have to agree with the others, so much negativity with people picking fault, rather than getting excited about the concept of making a 125 set look like the old blue pulmans.... I think its great that LSL are doing this and giving a 125 set a new lease of life rather than being scrapped.

DB

Hull trains "Pargon" fleet don't have yellow fronts or rears..... but they are in service....

Trains which have lights which conform to the recent standards can (see also TPE sets) - but HSTs don't conform, so if LSL wants to do that they will need a new design of lights, including an additional one at the top in the middle.

So far as I'm aware there have been no cases so far of older trains being retro-fitted - all those without yellow fronts have been built within the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.