• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR blue with lion and wheel emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czesziafan

Does anyone know whether the old BR lion and wheel emblem was ever applied to locos or rolling stock in corporate blue livery? I have a dim and distant memory of seeing a Mark 1 coach in blue and grey, with the old coaching stock emblem on the side. This would have been in the late 60's - early 70's.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
An aluminium version (without the roundel) was on the side of some (all?) blue electric locos before the corporate livery. Not sure about coaches, but I would be surprised.

L+Y

A couple of locos had it, mistakenly I think. Certainly one 76 kept the emblem into the TOPS era, and I've a feeling a 25 had one too?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There were certainly locos the other way around - ie with double arrows but painted green. Some class 31s definitely, but I haven’t got time to search at the moment.

delt1c

Established Member
There was a 31 which were experimently painted blue in the early 60's, also wasnt there some steam locos in the 50's experimently in Blue

pdeaves

Established Member
There was a 31 which were experimently painted blue in the early 60's, also wasnt there some steam locos in the 50's experimently in Blue
Technically, the steam blue wasn't experimental, it was a short-lived corporate image. Either way, it was a different blue to the shade we all know and love ;))) from the mid-sixties that I think the original poster meant.

Sprinter107

76022 kept a lion and wheel emblem, when in corporate rail blue, right up until withdrawal in 1981

Merle Haggard

Established Member
There was a period, shortly after the change to blue livery, when some depots repainted their particularly scruffy green locos in blue - Toton was one.
Presumably because the application of transfers required skills and the intention was a quick job the existing transfers were painted around. The give-away was that the background to the lion etc. remained green. I only saw Peaks and Sulzer 2's - here's an example -

D5021 BLUE0058.jpg

Springs Branch

Established Member
Anyone know how many permutations of blue paint British Railways used before they settled on the familiar and universal "Rail Blue"?

Without researching too much, it seems there were:-
1. The short-lived "steam blue" on some steam locos.
2. An "electric blue" used on brand-new AL1-AL5 25kV locos from 1960 onwards.
3. An "electric blue" used on the Class 77 1500V Co-Co Woodhead electric locos (was this the same shade of blue as the WCML 25kV locos?)
4. The lighter shade of blue on some diesel locos before BR standardised on the darker Rail Blue (reminded me of the big Triang Blue Hymek of my childhood)
5. The original livery of the Blue Pullmans.

Were any of these a consistent shade of blue, or were all / mostly unique within themselves?
(Pity the huge majority of photos from that era are B&W and even those that aren't didn't always have perfect colour rendition)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Anyone know how many permutations of blue paint British Railways used before they settled on the familiar and universal "Rail Blue"?

Without researching too much, it seems there were:-
1. The short-lived "steam blue" on some steam locos.
2. An "electric blue" used on brand-new AL1-AL5 25kV locos from 1960 onwards.
3. An "electric blue" used on the Class 77 1500V Co-Co Woodhead electric locos (was this the same shade of blue as the WCML 25kV locos?)
4. The lighter shade of blue on some diesel locos before BR standardised on the darker Rail Blue (reminded me of the big Triang Blue Hymek of my childhood)
5. The original livery of the Blue Pullmans.

Where any of these a consistent shade of blue, or were all / mostly unique within themselves?
(Pity the huge majority of photos from that era are B&W and even those that aren't didn't always have perfect colour rendition)
There was a thread recently about Chromatic Blue that covered a bit about it here:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/class-42-blue-livery-query-or-br-chromatic-blue.186607/

L+Y

There never was a Chromatic Blue in my understanding- the blue just looks different without a full yellow end. There's some thought it might've been applied slightly differently, but it was definitely the same shade.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
The depot repaints definitely had a greener tinge, but I took this to be caused by the thin coat of blue paint (and possibly, no undercoat) allowing the green paint underneath to affect the shade.
I took a few photos of Toton Peaks in the depot repaint livery but it was difficult to include a works repainted blue loco in the same photograph for comparison, partly because there were, at that time, very few works repaint blue locos on the Nottingham division. When I saw 5021 next to a freshly works painted blue one I took the opportunity to photograph them (Crewe South - date in loft) and by being in the same photograph any difference in emulsion, colour sensitivity is ruled out. For some reason, it's displayed in a smaller size than I expected, though.
The mystery is where 5021 was repainted because all the other Sulzer 2s I saw in that style were Toton one, and generally of the later series.

Status
Not open for further replies.