• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR uniform badges - an anecdote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czesziafan

A long time ago I was told by a retired railwayman that some staff took to substituting unofficial badges for the official BR issue, and for a very good reason. When the BR corporate uniforms were first issued in 1966 the lapel badges featured a cut out arrow symbol in brass or nickel, depending on the grade. These badges had extremely sharp points that could tear clothing or cause injury. At the same time the railway orphanage charity was selling a version of the BR emblem in white enamel on blue on a rectangular badge, and some staff purchased these to replace the official issue, for safety. Apparently the powers that be turned a blind eye to this practice and when the uniform design was revised some years later BR produced its own badges with the emblem set in to a rectangular base.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rescars

In the late 1970s a somewhat relaxed view was taken about the badges worn by Travellers-Fare on-train stewards. Some augmented the standard issue with additional enamel badges of appropriate pre-nationalisation companies whilst others showed off their background and training by proudly displaying the coat of arms of the Pullman Car Co.

Taunton

Established Member
I recall in the mid-1970s there was what looked like a platform supervisor, or station foreman, at Birmingham New Street, in an immaculate full maroon uniform, with facial expression ane presence to match. It was presumably a hangover from the maroon LMR days rather than the corporate BR identity. I wonder how it had survived.

Status
Not open for further replies.