• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bradford-on-Tone incident (23/12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete_uk

Established Member
EDIT: Location is Bradford-on-Tone. One fatality unfortunately.

Evening all

Just been 'told' that a train has hit a car. The incident is being reported as being at:

BRADLEY MILL HOUSE, WESTBURY ROAD, YARNBROOK TROWBRIDGE, BA14 6AB

I've had a look on Google Earth and although there are a few bridges I can't see any crossings. So I'm wondering if one vehicle or another has parted from their path in some unfortunate way. On the other hand maybe I'm not seeing something. Anyone know the route?

Just curious!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

father_jack

Evening all

Just been 'told' that a train has hit a car. The incident is being reported as being at:

BRADLEY MILL HOUSE, WESTBURY ROAD, YARNBROOK TROWBRIDGE, BA14 6AB

I've had a look on Google Earth and although there are a few bridges I can't see any crossings. So I'm wondering if one vehicle or another has parted from their path in some unfortunate way. On the other hand maybe I'm not seeing something. Anyone know the route?

Just curious!
No it's at Bradford-on-Tone between Tiverton and Exeter.

Pete_uk

Established Member
I've changed the location. Of course its always sad when someone is killed but it always seems so much worse at this time of year. Unopened presents etc.

Thoughts with all those involved.

randyrippley

Established Member
This doesn't appear to have any reports in the online press.
How is it being confirmed / reported?

eastdyke

Established Member
This doesn't appear to have any reports in the online press.
How is it being confirmed / reported?
Devon Live are updating the story:
https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/live-updates-train-hits-car-3676337
A Devon railway service has been suspended after a train is understood to have collided with a car on the tracks.
There is more, changing all the time.

Sad for all involved, staff and ES. May you all get the support that you need.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
When I saw this thread, my first thought was that the high hedgerows in the area might have been a factor (it's an area of the country I'm quite familiar with) along with that crossing itself being an awkward one with an uneven surface due to the cant of the track.

The link posted above appears to show that the hedges have been trimmed significantly in the last decade, but they may well have grown back since the Google Car last went down there.

Thoughts with those affected including the driver. Never a good time for things like this, but just before Christmas is particularly bad timing.

Fast Track

I was on the 19.04 from Paddington to Plymouth tragic we were behind the train involved.

Deepest sympathy for all touched by this.

We had an announcement after Westbury that we were going to be slowed up as a previous train was behind schedule and we were letting it overtake us and then we would be slowed down to Exeter. Saw a train overtake us perhaps the earlier 18.30 ish?

We were slow for a while then stopped outside Taunton and told of the accident car on a crossing.

Cannot praise GWR enough for the way it was handled. We were eventually stopped at Taunton and told quite quickly the train would reverse to Castle Carey and then take single track route and go via Yeovil told 2 hours to Exeter.
All staff at Taunton and on train were brilliant and at Exeter special thanks to the chap on the gate at gone midnight sorry don’t know his name but GWR uniform waistcoat and glasses. He did a superb job informing waiting anxious families etc.

Thanks also to fellow passengers on the 19.04 great spirit and support and offering of lifts to Exeter and beyond.

Tragic night just before Christmas

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
I was on the 19.04 from Paddington to Plymouth tragic we were behind the train involved.

Deepest sympathy for all touched by this.

We had an announcement after Westbury that we were going to be slowed up as a previous train was behind schedule and we were letting it overtake us and then we would be slowed down to Exeter. Saw a train overtake us perhaps the earlier 18.30 ish?

We were slow for a while then stopped outside Taunton and told of the accident car on a crossing.

Cannot praise GWR enough for the way it was handled. We were eventually stopped at Taunton and told quite quickly the train would reverse to Castle Carey and then take single track route and go via Yeovil told 2 hours to Exeter.
All staff at Taunton and on train were brilliant and at Exeter special thanks to the chap on the gate at gone midnight sorry don’t know his name but GWR uniform waistcoat and glasses. He did a superb job informing waiting anxious families etc.

Thanks also to fellow passengers on the 19.04 great spirit and support and offering of lifts to Exeter and beyond.

Tragic night just before Christmas

Definitely a really sad thing to have happened, I'm sorry you were caught up in it.

Can I suggest tweeting your thanks to @gwrhelp as I know the company has an internal process for forwarding on customer praise and I'm sure the front line staff will appreciate it.

Fast Track

Definitely a really sad thing to have happened, I'm sorry you were caught up in it.

Can I suggest tweeting your thanks to @gwrhelp as I know the company has an internal process for forwarding on customer praise and I'm sure the front line staff will appreciate it.
Thanks. I did as you suggested and they said they will pass the message on.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
It would seem very fortunate that the driver or his available replacement signed the route via the LSWR for your 1904 ex Pad..

We’ve just recently had a couple of weeks of STP diversions so I imagine West Country crews have taken the opportunity to add it to their route cards, really valuable thing to have, as illustrated!

irish_rail

Established Member
It would seem very fortunate that the driver or his available replacement signed the route via the LSWR for your 1904 ex Pad..
Yes as the Plymouth man on the 2004 (like all ply men) didn't sign it and was stuck at Westbury before all passengers transferred to the 2104 which luckily was an Exeter man with Yeovil knowledge.

Fast Track

Again credit to GWR there was some very quick thinking diverting the 19.04 down single track at times to get the train round to Exeter. Train manager earlier announced the Exeter Penzance driver was on the train too once we were getting behind before accident to reassure those going to Cornwall they wouldn’t miss the ongoing connection. Good communication too.

jill brown

Can anyone tell me if there is a camera at the crossing? would there be a camera in the train in the drivers cab?

irish_rail

Established Member
And with the driver.

Quite possibly forward facing CCTV, depending on stock.
It's ok, we are clubbing together to buy said driver new underwear for Christmas!
But seriously, very very sad about the poor lady who died and at this time of year.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.