• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of journey at Shrewsbury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelW

Established Member
Next month I have booked an advance single from the Heart of Wales line onto the Cambrian coast with a change at Shrewsbury. Unfortunately, looking at times, I just miss a connection at Shrewsbury (by 2 minutes if both on time) meaning a 1h 58m wait for the next train. Does anyone have experience of whether the Shrewsbury gateline staff are likely to let me through for a pint in the town rather than hanging around the station for almost two hours? I know there are no guarantees, but some stations have a better reputation than others for flexibility.

Splitting tickets at Shrewsbury would have cost about £3 more, which might have been worth it if I'm stuck on the station for the afternoon :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Quite possible that at certain times of the day the gate line isn't manned, so left open.

Good pint at The Station across the road!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have never, ever been refused to be allowed out of a station to pop into town between trains, regardless of ticket type or whether break of journey was permitted or not.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Shrewsbury barrier staff are quite good they'll know the connections between Cambrian and Heart of Wales are very poor. Manchester/ Cambrian are c45 minutes connections so plenty of folk pop out for a bit.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The Cambrian train probably won't be leaving from P3 (though it's technically possible now), but that platform can only be accessed from the station yard outside the barriers anyway.

DelW

Established Member
Thanks all for your thoughts, sounds like I should be OK as long as I don't encounter anyone from the Canterbury West school of customer relations :)

superalbs

Established Member
Wouldn't be at all surprised if the Cambrian train is delayed so you make your -2 minute connection !
Depending on if the next train is reserved or not. Otherwise, op will have to watch that train leave and wait two hours, on what I presume to be a through ticket. Ideal!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If the onward -2 train is late, I would show all tickets for the journey and ask if you could make an earlier connection. They might say yes. I had success with this at King's Cross when doing Paris to York and made something like a +4 from St Pancras to King's Cross. Always worth asking!

DelW

Established Member
If the onward -2 train is late, I would show all tickets for the journey and ask if you could make an earlier connection. They might say yes. I had success with this at King's Cross when doing Paris to York and made something like a +4 from St Pancras to King's Cross. Always worth asking!
It is indeed a through ticket, the itinerary with the ticket shows both trains as reserved, but not specific coach or seat (I know the HoW doesn't have seat reservations, but not sure about the Cambrian, it's a while since I was on that). But if the timing did work, I'd certainly try asking the Guard on the earlier Shrewsbury departure if he or she would let me use that.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Wouldn't be at all surprised if the Cambrian train is delayed so you make your -2 minute connection !

The 1332 arrival from the Heart of Wales was late by 6 today missing the Cambrian train by a margin, the good news was it arrived on platform 3 according to real time trains so no problem exiting the station!

Gareth Marston

Established Member
It is indeed a through ticket, the itinerary with the ticket shows both trains as reserved, but not specific coach or seat (I know the HoW doesn't have seat reservations, but not sure about the Cambrian, it's a while since I was on that). But if the timing did work, I'd certainly try asking the Guard on the earlier Shrewsbury departure if he or she would let me use that.

The lunchtime train off Shrewsbury is often cut down to 2 cars due to the PRM conversion programme on a weekday so I maybe wouldn't get To excited by thinking you can catch it. We had people stand all the way to Newtown on it this Monday.

DelW

Established Member
In the event, the HoWL train passed the earlier Aber train by the Abbey, so I did have the 1h 58m connection. Arrived and departed from p5, and the gate line was operating, but no issues with being let through both ways when I explained why.
15.30 from Shrewsbury is 2 car but some seats free.
Thanks to all for comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.