• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brentford shuttles for Steam Railmotor confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris125

Established Member
The operation of shuttles on the freight-only Brentford branch have now been confirmed, using Didcot's Steam Railmotor:

The Great Western Society is pleased to announce that arrangements have been made for Steam Railmotor 93 and trailer 92 to run on the Southall to Brentford branch line on Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 October. It will be a rare opportunity to travel in vehicles over 100 years old on a branch line which only has a freight service.

Richard Croucher, Chairman of the Great Western Society, said: “We are delighted to be able to bring the Steam Railmotor back to Southall where it began life, and it is doubly important as this is also the birthplace of the Great Western Society.”

The event is supported by First Great Western, who will be making an announcement shortly about other events taking place in the area. There will be seven departures each day from Southall at 10.00, 11.00, 12.00, 13.00, 14.30, 1530 and 16.30. The round trip will take just over 30 minutes. There will be a maximum of 110 seats per train – 50 in 93 and 60 in 92.

Tickets will be £20 each, bookable in advance through the Didcot Railway Centre website, where you can also find more information:
www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/news/latest.html#news01

Chris

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Will go and have a look. Any thoughts on good places to take pictures from? also can highly recommend a pub called The Globe in the area. Would love one day to see this on the Bromley North branch on a Sunday.

Tubeboy

I saw this info on IanVisits blog early this morning. I Have always wanted to the Brentford branch. Will make a day of it and do other branches off the GWML.

PeterY

Established Member
Just booked myself a ticket for this advent. I'm sure the 3 bridges would be a good photographic place . if it's not too crowded.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Just booked myself a ticket for this advent. I'm sure the 3 bridges would be a good photographic place . if it's not too crowded.

Yeah I think that might be good. There is also a footpath crossing in Boston Manor, just off Elthorne Park (I think road name is Trumpers Way).

I live locally to this, and I've booked a ticket too :D. Although I'd probably be at uni at the time and will have to make a trek over from East London :D

theblackwatch

Established Member
Would anyone be interested in us doing this as a forum meet, perhaps to either travel on or photograph?

Established Member
Thanks, that looks good. Being booked on the 12.00 shuttle, it gives time to do a spin on this first (if the motive power is sufficient enough to attract me of course!).
I've only just realised that the Railmotor on the Brentford branch is running on both days and I have booked the 12:00 on Sunday; didn't even cross my mind that it might be running on Saturday as well :oops:

Still interested in one of the first two trips on the loco-hauled on Saturday subject to being able to get a ticket; at least I can get to work easily enough from Paddington.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Unfortunately still no confirmed information on what the 'guest locomotive appearing in top and tail mode with one of First Great Westerns Class 57’s' will be. Could do with some confirmation regarding the rumoured Class 20s...

QJ

Unfortunately still no confirmed information on what the 'guest locomotive appearing in top and tail mode with one of First Great Westerns Class 57’s' will be. Could do with some confirmation regarding the rumoured Class 20s...

What else gets timed by NR for 75 mph in the planned schedule?

Oh no the world has collapsed - It seems the security on my work PC won't allow me past the initial order stage. Like me, work security probably doesn't like the service charge.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Well thats £100 I wont get back!
Bit of a bugger with FGW being my new employer but I dont think the staff passes (or PRIV) will be allowed on these! :lol:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
"Sorry. Ticket sales are temporarily suspended." :(

fgwrich

Established Member

Great Western Heritage Weekend 2014 - 18th & 19th October 2014

First Great Western are going to be operating some special trains out of Paddington on Saturday as part of the Great Western Heritage Weekend, which amongst other things will see the Didcot Steam Railmotor operating on the Brentford Branch and a Class 150 Shuttling up and down the Colnbrook Branch.

As well as the chance to travel on some rare freight only lines, it is also planned to use our friend Michael Owen's 20142 and 20189 as guest locomotives topping and tailing five passenger trains from Paddington around the Greenford Loop as part of the weekend.

For further details and booking check out the link below

http://class20locosociety.co.uk/events

Not sure if this helps?

455driver

Veteran Member
I am booked on all three and if any of them are cancelled I wont be a happy bunny! <D

QJ

I am booked on all three and if any of them are cancelled I wont be a happy bunny!

Fear not. I believe GWS ticket sales have been suspended because the kettle contraption (minus the trailer) workings are fully booked. I booked on the class 20 workings through the FGW web page link a couple of days ago with no problem. Should be a good treat for the Mrs! She is also having a spin on the railcar the following day though she doesn't know this yet. <D

Last edited:

12CSVT

Established Member
Rumours now that there won't be any 20s on the Greenford loop, just two 57/6s T&T.
Also they will be running direct from Drayton Green to West Ealing (ie, not via Hanwell Bridge) so it looks like you will need to book on two trips to get both 57s for haulage.

Or at least that's what's appeared on the WNXX forum.

QJ

Rumours now that there won't be any 20s on the Greenford loop, just two 57/6s T&T.
Also they will be running direct from Drayton Green to West Ealing (ie, not via Hanwell Bridge) so it looks like you will need to book on two trips to get both 57s for haulage.

Or at least that's what's appeared on the WNXX forum.

If that is the case money back please including the booking fee (except of course the advertisement did not specify motive power other than a guest locomotive nor did it mention the route reversing at Hanwell so that is me conned out of hard earned pennies then - you would have thought I would have learned by now not to book these things:oops:)

455driver

Veteran Member
More like 143Driver :lol:

Lots of that apparently, they even take one to Bristol!
My 'source' actually quite likes driving them, I will reserve judgement until I drive one during leaf-fall, they havent got enough coaches or axles for my liking! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.