• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brexit matters

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alex397

Established Member
I’ve noticed a shortage of bottles of orange juice in various places over the last few days during my trip around Scotland. Not the end of the world, but intriguing to know why it’s the case.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I’ve noticed a shortage of bottles of orange juice in various places over the last few days during my trip around Scotland. Not the end of the world, but intriguing to know why it’s the case.

Global Warming making people drink more to hydrate :D

Annetts key

Established Member
Taken out by those who want Irn-Bru to be your only choice :p

najaB

Veteran Member
The Scottish NHS will receive £1.1bn a year from a new health and social care tax, the UK government has said.
The tax will be introduced across the UK to pay for reforms to the care sector and NHS funding in England.
But a proportion will also be ringfenced and given directly to the Scottish health service.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said health and social care in all parts of the UK would "benefit from significant additional support".

Does anyone else remember when Brexit was going to give the NHS £350 million a week?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

bspahh

Established Member
The Environment Agency have just published this guidance

Normally, you need a permit under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 to discharge treated effluent from a waste water treatment works (WwTW) to surface water or groundwater. Permits contain conditions that control the quality of the effluent you can discharge.

You may not be able to comply with your permit if you cannot get the chemicals you use to treat the effluent you discharge because of:
  • the UK’s new relationship with the EU
I guess this would not have been allowed if we were a part of the EU. We are now free to pollute our rivers!

bspahh

Established Member
Roaming charges are coming back with Three

Three has become the latest mobile network to reintroduce roaming fees when travelling abroad, in a fresh post-Brexit blow for consumers.

A flat £2 daily charge when roaming within an EU country will apply to customers who are new or upgrading from October 1, though the changes do not come into effect until May 23 2022.

The firm joins EE and Vodafone who have also recently announced the return of charges, while O2 has clung on with a fair use roaming limit.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Three's changes are the biggest because in addition to the £2/day charge for roaming in the EU to access SOME of your data allowance (12GB max) there is now a £5 a day charge for outside EU roaming.

The wholesale rate charges for networks allowing roaming in EU has forced this, but Three has used the opportunity to up ALL roaming costs, which I now expect others to copy in the future.

[For clarity; this is going to be from May 23rd next year and only for people on new contracts. PAYG may change between now and May, but is currently unaffected. Three can and likely will force people off existing plans (if out of contract) at some point.]

O2 has said it has no plans to change anything (note: everyone said 'no plans' at the outset, so this is meaningless) and Sky Mobile told the BBC it isn't changing anything, but said nothing about whether that would be the case forever. Naturally, nobody is going to commit to saying that.

johncrossley

Established Member
Wow, I had expected Three to be the last man standing regarding free roaming given that they have made such a big deal about it for so many years. Although before EU roaming their speeds were heavily restricted so it often made sense to get a local SIM card if you wanted a normal internet speed. It does seem that regular travellers will be better off having a separate SIM card for EU data. Having a dual SIM phone makes this a lot easier and more convenient.

I walked past the Scottish Parliament building in Edinburgh today, and noticed they still have an EU flag flying. Personally I was quite pleased to see that, but I was surprised to see it considering we are no longer a part of it.

This is why:

The European flag is to continue flying outside the Scottish Parliament beyond Brexit after MSPs voted to keep it up.
Holyrood's management group had planned to lower the flag at 23:00 on Friday, the moment the UK leaves the EU.
However MSPs voted by 63 to 54 to overturn this decision after the Scottish government forced a debate.
Presiding Officer Ken Macintosh warned ministers not to politicise the issue, saying the flags flown at Holyrood "reflect our relationships in law".
The Conservatives, Labour and the Lib Dems argued that the "non-political" decision of the Parliamentary Corporate Body should be respected, but SNP and Green MSPs united to "direct" the group to keep the flag up.

SNP politicians often have the EU and Scotland flag in the background when on TV.

In Leeuwarden in the north of the Netherlands they replaced the UK flag with the Scotland flag

A city in the Netherlands is flying the Scottish Saltire in place of the Union Flag after the UK left the EU.
The deputy mayor of Leeuwarden, Sjoerd Feitsma, came up with the idea after visiting Edinburgh for a Robert Burns festival.
The Saltire is now displayed with the flags of the remaining 27 EU nations at the city's main railway station.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Faffing around getting SIMs when you roam is horrible (and sometimes impossible in locations where you need to be a resident of that country), but now becoming a necessary evil of travelling it seems. Many networks have sought to sell single SIM versions of phones sold on contract precisely to make it harder for this sort of thing, but now it does seem that most phones are dual SIM (or some have an eSIM option).

Using Wi-Fi abroad is also a PITA, with slow congested 2.4GHz hotspots that are totally saturated or have poor connections behind them, as well as the security issues and the inability to move around freely when using them.

So nice to see how hard we worked for many years to axe roaming fees (within the EU at least) and now we've gone beyond back to square one.. we're getting even worse!

johncrossley

Established Member
I'd emigrate to a European country if I could.

You can still go to Ireland now if you want. After 5 years, get an Irish passport then go wherever you want in the EU/EEA and Switzerland.

Faffing around getting SIMs when you roam is horrible (and sometimes impossible in locations where you need to be a resident of that country), but now becoming a necessary evil of travelling it seems.

At least you only need one SIM for the whole EU, instead of separate ones in each country like it used to be. So you just get one in the country that is the least hassle to buy or top-up and then maintain that for all future trips. The most annoying thing about the Three announcement is hassle when going to Switzerland, as Three had free roaming in Switzerland for years before EU roaming came in. For years that was the main reason why I kept a Three SIM. So we now need three SIMs: one for the UK, EU and Switzerland.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
To be honest, I think I'll just pay - and moan about what 'could have been'.

My main account is on EE and I already have the roam further (or whatever its called) add-on, which means I won't pay anymore anyway. Plus I'm on a tariff where the new daily fee doesn't apply (but nothing to say EE won't force me to move between now and when the new daily fee comes in).

Likewise, my Three plan won't be affected until such time that I get a letter saying they're booting me off. If that letter does come, I will leave because I don't really use it much anyway.

johncrossley

Established Member
I had an Vodafone Ireland SIM a while ago, primarily for web browsing, Google Maps etc. in the US. Getting an American pay as you go SIM was quite tricky then. Maybe nowadays it is easier. Three UK worked there as well but was too slow to be any use even for web browsing. I just had a look and they still only charge 2.99 EUR for 200 MB a day in the US, and they allow free roaming to Switzerland, so no need for a separate Swiss SIM card.

You can use any plan (even Vodafone X) in the EU just like you would at home for no extra cost. Vodafone has implemented 'roam like at home' rules without any volume restrictions, and additionally, includes Switzerland in their EU/EEA/UK zone. For roaming outside their EU zone, their old RED roaming plans apply:

• 200 MB per calendar day for €2.99 in Albania, Canada, Monaco, San Marino, Kosovo, Turkey, USA
  • 200 MB per calendar day for €4.99 in 50 countries mentioned here

jon0844

Veteran Member
Personally speaking, 200MB would be a drop in the ocean. For work, I'd be downloading large files or uploading video. For leisure, streaming Netflix or similar. There's also the likelihood of someone wanting to tether to a laptop or tablet and maybe video call/conference.

When Vodafone had no limit on EU roaming, I was able to enjoy 50GB in a month. Now it's down to about 20 or 25GB (forget which) and Three has dropped to 12GB (other networks have done similar).

SIMs that offer a lot of data, or unlimited, can be quite costly - at least unless you get a SIM-only contract rather than PAYG - which then means a long-term commitment.

johncrossley

Established Member
Even in the EU you will often find that operators cap the amount of data that can be used while out of the home country (although not Vodafone Ireland it seems as mentioned above).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sigh. Will the winning never end? Looks like I may be taking my business to EE one of their plans with their Roam Abroad as a "smart benefit" appears to deliver what was roughly previously available without having to pay extra before we all the Brexit bonuses started to arrive.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Even in the EU you will often find that operators cap the amount of data that can be used while out of the home country (although not Vodafone Ireland it seems as mentioned above).

Yes, that was something the EU agreed on when they axed the wholesale rates. However, the allowances have dropped considerably for us since we left (obviously because until now the networks were taking the hit on being charged for EU roaming, and they wanted to limit their liability before introducing charges to cover the cost).

jon0844

Veteran Member
Comments on there already saying it's fine to charge given there's a cost to exchanging money. Almost like it's crazy that we weren't always paying it.

Funny how all of a sudden we're so okay with extra charges here, there and everywhere if it stops us having to acknowledge that it's down to Brexit.

SouthernR

Brexit benefit!
The most common item of roadside litter around here used to be a particular Polish beer can. Not any more.
I haven't done a survey to determine whether it's due to a shortage of beer, a shortage of drinkers, a change of taste or increased environmental awareness.

class ep-09

Brexit benefit!
The most common item of roadside litter around here used to be a particular Polish beer can. Not any more.
I haven't done a survey to determine whether it's due to a shortage of beer, a shortage of drinkers, a change of taste or increased environmental awareness.
Or shortage of beer .
In our neck of woods local “indigenous” drunks loved Polish beer, but no more as they can’t buy it that easily anymore ( or it is more expensive).
They went back to Stellas and Fosters.

alex397

Established Member
Brexit benefit!
Still see them a lot around Kent when I do litter picks. I’m not surprised - Some Polish beers are very strong and also cheap, so probably popular amongst alcoholics. Will perhaps be unfair to presume only Central/Eastern Europeans drink them.

Related to this topic - I’ve noticed Eastern European shops still seem popular. There’s a huge one in Margate. Did a big shop in there the other day. I was worried we would lose a lot of the shops - will be interesting to know if these shops are now facing a decline or not.