• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brexit matters

alex397

Established Member
England is exotic compared to the rest of Europe, and always has been.
Really? How do you mean?

I just found it a bit funny hearing it described as ‘exotic’. Fascinating, interesting and cultural, certainly, but exotic?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Really? How do you mean?

I just found it a bit funny hearing it described as ‘exotic’. Fascinating, interesting and cultural, certainly, but exotic?
Exotic in that it is culturally distant and distinct. England is very foreign to the French, almost more so than any other country in Europe is. We are also an island which has defined our relationship with Europe since time immemorial.

alex397

Established Member
Exotic in that it is culturally distant and distinct. England is very foreign to the French, almost more so than any other country in Europe is. We are also an island which has defined our relationship with Europe since time immemorial.
Good points, I see what you mean know!

bspahh

Established Member
In March there was this story about Visa UK increasing the interchange fees for credit card transactions
MasterCard, did the same in in January.

These fees are capped by the EU, but this doesn't apply to us after Brexit.

https://twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1460903425957412866 says that Amazon are sending emails, saying that they will no longer accept UK Visa credit cards from January 2022. You will have to use a debit card instead, so you won't get protection from section 106 of Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
These fees are capped by the EU, but this doesn't apply to us after Brexit.
It's the same with mobile roaming. I'm going to Gibraltar in a couple of weeks, and I've already set multiple reminders on my phone to keep my phone locked onto the Spanish network rather than roaming onto the Gibraltarian network. Not the end of the world, but it can be quite tricky to get a good signal on the southern part of the Rock, especially around Europa Point.

brad465

Established Member
Turns out our actions have consequences - the Financial Times are headlining news that the US are suspending the withdrawal of Trump-era tariffs because of our disrespect and threats over the Northern Ireland Protocol:

The US is delaying a deal to remove Trump-era tariffs on UK steel and aluminium because of Washington’s concerns about London’s threats to change post-Brexit trading rules in Northern Ireland.

class ep-09

Fake news !!!

Just joking.

It seems that taking back control means being shafted by everybody .

What a shower .

birchesgreen

Established Member
"Taking back control" is always a meaningless expression. No country has "control", even the most powerful countries have to take some notice from other countries, supranational organisations and corporations. Small countries have to take a lot of notice. The world is so interconnected.

Unless maybe you want to be like North Korea, i didn't see juche on the side of a bus.

class ep-09

"Taking back control" is always a meaningless expression. No country has "control", even the most powerful countries have to take some notice from other countries, supranational organisations and corporations. Small countries have to take a lot of notice. The world is so interconnected.

Unless maybe you want to be like North Korea, i didn't see juche on the side of a bus.
That is exactly what I wanted to say .

alex397

Established Member
Have to laugh. This thread has been quite for 14 days until some anti-brexit news is grasped at.
Instead of laughing at other people’s point of view, maybe you could add something constructive? Tell us a Brexit benefit, or tell us how your life has improved. Or do we need to wait 50 years before we see any ‘benefits’?

Doppelganger

Instead of laughing at other people’s point of view, maybe you could add something constructive? Tell us a Brexit benefit, or tell us how your life has improved. Or do we need to wait 50 years before we see any ‘benefits’?
There won't be a sensible answer to this, because there is no tangible benefit, just some nebulous non existent wishy-washy nonsense.

This thread is 121 pages in and only those who are still in the cult of Brexit are supporting it, everyone else has now seen the Emperor and can see he's naked.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yes, even high profile supporters of Brexit seem to be backtracking now, presumably so when it all does hit the fan (and Covid one day can't cover it) they can at least pretend they weren't fully behind it. In time, they'll claim they never supported it all.

Only a few people will support it to the bitter end.

REVUpminster

Remainers are the fantasists on here but it's somewhere to let off steam. The Tories won a London constituency on a 51% vote of a turnout of 34%. The Rejoin the EU, LibDems , and Greens lost their deposit. Labour got 34%; I wonder what his views were on the EU.

It will be said Old Bexley is a Tory stronghold but London has become a Labour city with the huge "white flight " to the shires. Boris did buck the trend by defeating Ken Livingstone twice. Vote Leave won the referendum and Boris won the general election. The voters spoke and will again. The EU is not doing much to change voters minds here.

Doppelganger

Remainers are the fantasists on here but it's somewhere to let off steam. The Tories won a London constituency on a 51% vote of a turnout of 34%. The Rejoin the EU, LibDems , and Greens lost their deposit. Labour got 34%; I wonder what his views were on the EU.

It will be said Old Bexley is a Tory stronghold but London has become a Labour city with the huge "white flight " to the shires. Boris did buck the trend by defeating Ken Livingstone twice. Vote Leave won the referendum and Boris won the general election. The voters spoke and will again. The EU is not doing much to change voters minds here.
So nothing tangible then.

REVUpminster

What does that mean? What tangible benefit to staying in? Pay bigger contribution?

Labour were kicked out in 2010 replaced by a Tory/LibDem coalition. Cameron promised a referendum on the EU, only the second since the referendum on EEC. Other countries had a referendum on the Maestricht treaty on the founding of the EU; more than one till the result was what was wanted by the politicians. Tories win in 2015, referendum takes place; out wins. Theresa May goes to the electorate with her policy of stay in the EU in all but name. Effectively loses her majority. Boris goes to the country with get Brexit done and wins a huge majority. The voters spoke. Even in pro EU Scotland the voters just stop short of giving the SNP a majority that they have to go coalition with the Greens.

Doppelganger

What does that mean? What tangible benefit to staying in? Pay bigger contribution?

Labour were kicked out in 2010 replaced by a Tory/LibDem coalition. Cameron promised a referendum on the EU, only the second since the referendum on EEC. Other countries had a referendum on the Maestricht treaty on the founding of the EU; more than one till the result was what was wanted by the politicians. Tories win in 2015, referendum takes place; out wins. Theresa May goes to the electorate with her policy of stay in the EU in all but name. Effectively loses her majority. Boris goes to the country with get Brexit done and wins a huge majority. The voters spoke. Even in pro EU Scotland the voters just stop short of giving the SNP a majority that they have to go coalition with the Greens.
May's deal and Johnson's were basically the same and certainly weren't a "deal" in any real sense.

The tangible benefits of staying in were easily demonstrated, such as seemless trading within the single market and common standards as well as the free movement of goods, capital, people and services.

The benefits far outweighed the UK monetary contribution.

I, and many others, are asking what tangible benefits is the UK seeing now it is out of the EU.

I don't want to hear about some nebulous thing such as sovereignty as we clearly have less than we did before. The UK being disinvivted to the asylum seeker crisis talks being one, not that the UK could have influenced anything anymore anyway.

Equally any tosh about trade deals won't fly, as so far it has been roll over deals, or in New Zealand's case a deal that adds near enough 0% to GDP and with Japan the EU concluded a deal themselves which was better than what the UK got. So the loss are mounting and there isn't much to even try to make up the shortfall.

AM9

Veteran Member
Equally any tosh about trade deals won't fly, as so far it has been roll over deals, or in New Zealand's case a deal that adds near enough 0% to GDP and with Japan the EU concluded a deal themselves which was better than what the UK got. So the loss are mounting and there isn't much to even try to make up the shortfall.
... and the great promise of a quick and easy trade deal with the US has all but fizzled out. Even at a political level, the US administration has lost all faith in negotiating with a government that reneges of formal agreements and takes every opportunity to snipe at the EU and its member countries just to appease the rabble that voted it in on a leaving ticket. The UK is only of use to the US as an english-speaking ally that has the respect of the EU.

REVUpminster

... and the great promise of a quick and easy trade deal with the US has all but fizzled out. Even at a political level, the US administration has lost all faith in negotiating with a government that reneges of formal agreements and takes every opportunity to snipe at the EU and its member countries just to appease the rabble that voted it in on a leaving ticket. The UK is only of use to the US as an english-speaking ally that has the respect of the EU.
Tell that to the voters who spoke in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2019. I am sure they are all avid readers of a railway forum. DigitalSpy, much more widely read, closed all there political threads in March 2021 because they became so divisive and moderators not that impartial.

bspahh

Established Member
Tell that to the voters who spoke in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2019. I am sure they are all avid readers of a railway forum. DigitalSpy, much more widely read, closed all there political threads in March 2021 because they became so divisive and moderators not that impartial.
Can you tell us some good news then, something tangible about the future, something positive, that we can look forward to?

class ep-09

It looks that the tangible benefit of brexit is that tories are in power

Of course that benefit applies to them only, as most of the country has been screwed again .

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Why do benefits need to be tangible?

Does a man marry his wife for tangible benefits? Why do we all expect voters to vote based on stuff like "how much money will I have"? Are voters perhaps not a little more complex than this? Did we really learn nothing from five years ago?

AM9

Veteran Member
Tell that to the voters who spoke in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2019. I am sure they are all avid readers of a railway forum.
I assume you mean voters that voted leave. In my experience, most of them seem sheepish about even mentioning the brexit issue. I very really see members of RUK to have face to face conversations with, but that is irrelevant as this is a General Discussion forum and the fact that it is part of a railway forum does not invalidate any views expresses here - even yours.
DigitalSpy, much more widely read, closed all there political threads in March 2021 because they became so divisive and moderators not that impartial.
I presume that 'impartial' in your mind means that they don't always agree with you either by opinions they express, or the action they take using their powers. If you think that you could do better, offer your services.