• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brexit matters

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Still see them a lot around Kent when I do litter picks. I’m not surprised - Some Polish beers are very strong and also cheap, so probably popular amongst alcoholics. Will perhaps be unfair to presume only Central/Eastern Europeans drink them.

Related to this topic - I’ve noticed Eastern European shops still seem popular. There’s a huge one in Margate. Did a big shop in there the other day. I was worried we would lose a lot of the shops - will be interesting to know if these shops are now facing a decline or not'
Many Polish and other eastern European people came to Britain over the last ten to twenty years to work here (remember the saga of the Polish plumbers) and these shops provided "home from home" foods for them.

Incidentally, I went into the Asda supermarket in Wythenshawe last week and bought a pack of 8 Kabanos thin-link cooked sausages and cheese titled "Edamski". They had a selection of Polish branded foods available.

johncrossley

Established Member
Many Polish and other eastern European people came to Britain over the last ten to twenty years to work here (remember the saga of the Polish plumbers) and these shops provided "home from home" foods for them.

But the point is that some EU citizens may have left, making these shops less viable. The assumption is that the number of EU citizens living in the UK will decline over time. Of course, they could get a visa to work here like other foreigners. But why would they come here if they can go elsewhere in Europe as long as they want without needing a visa?

Typhoon

Established Member
Still see them a lot around Kent when I do litter picks. I’m not surprised - Some Polish beers are very strong and also cheap, so probably popular amongst alcoholics. Will perhaps be unfair to presume only Central/Eastern Europeans drink them.

Related to this topic - I’ve noticed Eastern European shops still seem popular. There’s a huge one in Margate. Did a big shop in there the other day. I was worried we would lose a lot of the shops - will be interesting to know if these shops are now facing a decline or not.
Is it the one in Cliftonville? There are quite a few long time residents from Eastern Europe who live in that area who almost certainly will have applied for settled status. I would guess that the established shops will stick around, maybe a few drop off but no expansion. Whether the next generation continue to shop there or migrate to the likes of McDonald's and Tesco is anybody's guess. I would think that there would be a more permanent presence than the last European influx, when those from countries like Poland and Czechoslovakia had decided that returning to a Soviet welcome wasn't something to look forward to having served and fought for the UK. The biggest loser near me is the local boot fair, they used to arrive in buses.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Incidentally, I went into the Asda supermarket in Wythenshawe last week and bought a pack of 8 Kabanos thin-link cooked sausages and cheese titled "Edamski". They had a selection of Polish branded foods available.
Not to mention those that came over in the middle of the century when their country was overrun first by Hitler then by Stalin, some of whom fought for Britain.

alex397

Established Member
Is it the one in Cliftonville? There are quite a few long time residents from Eastern Europe who live in that area who almost certainly will have applied for settled status. I would guess that the established shops will stick around, maybe a few drop off but no expansion. Whether the next generation continue to shop there or migrate to the likes of McDonald's and Tesco is anybody's guess. I would think that there would be a more permanent presence than the last European influx, when those from countries like Poland and Czechoslovakia had decided that returning to a Soviet welcome wasn't something to look forward to having served and fought for the UK. The biggest loser near me is the local boot fair, they used to arrive in buses.
Yes, that’s the one. I’d say it’s the size of a Tesco Metro, and even has its own butcher and bakery.
No doubt many are permanent settlers here who want to stay here, but I imagine there will be less of the more temporary workers here to use these shops, as well as a reduction in those coming to live here permanently.

How ironic that we've just got the Crown symbol back on pint glasses, which according to the Express will make our beer taste nicer.
When I first saw that, I genuinely thought it was a parody article. I do wonder if many employees of the Express just work there for a laugh.
Firstly, pint glasses have always said ‘pint’ on them, and was being part of the EU really stopping us from putting a crown on the glass?
No doubt the Express will be celebrating if there is a reduction of foreign beers on tap! The UK is great at ale and craft beer, but I like to have German lagers too. Thankfully though Brexit doesn’t seem to have affected this so far.

Some of the pilots of the Polish Air Force based in Britain performed notable heroics when taking on the Luftwaffe in the Second World War.
Indeed. A fact not talked about enough I think. If ever I hear anti-Polish sentiment amongst friends or family, I tend to tell them about this.

Out of the many Polish squadrons there were, the 303 Squadron alone shot down 126 planes during the Battle of Britain, for example.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Firstly, pint glasses have always said ‘pint’ on them, and was being part of the EU really stopping us from putting a crown on the glass?
Was it just me that thought that pint glasses already had a crown on them? Or is that just a sign of a mix of how little I pay attention and how old some of the pint glasses I've used have been? :lol:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Was it just me that thought that pint glasses already had a crown on them? Or is that just a sign of a mix of how little I pay attention and how old some of the pint glasses I've used have been? :lol:
I'm fairly certain that I've seen crowns on pint glasses fairly recently. I don't think this is as big an issue as the likes of the Express are making out, but then again... oh, why am I even bothering to discuss that awful rag?!

To be honest, I don't care what's printed on my pint glass provided there's something in it!

class ep-09

Yes, that’s the one. I’d say it’s the size of a Tesco Metro, and even has its own butcher and bakery.
No doubt many are permanent settlers here who want to stay here, but I imagine there will be less of the more temporary workers here to use these shops, as well as a reduction in those coming to live here permanently.

When I first saw that, I genuinely thought it was a parody article. I do wonder if many employees of the Express just work there for a laugh.
No doubt the Express will be celebrating if there is a reduction of foreign beers on tap! The UK is great at ale and craft beer, but I like to have German lagers too. Thankfully though Brexit doesn’t seem to have affected this so far.

Indeed. A fact not talked about enough I think. If ever I hear anti-Polish sentiment amongst friends or family, I tend to tell them about this.

Out of the many Polish squadrons there were, the 303 Squadron alone shot down 126 planes during the Battle of Britain, for example.
Little known fact that perhaps it is worth mentioning to your friends is that the Enigma code was broken in 1932 by Polish mathematicians, and only in 1939 they shared that intelligence with UK and France , just days before WW2 broke.

Alan Turing / Bletchley Park, picked up the work from Poles as they had no resources or place to work on the new models of Enigma introduced during the war.

SouthernR

A quick check on Wikipedia indicates that the CE mark was a requirement of Directive 2004/22/EC.
I have a crown glass dated 2004, and CE glasses dated 2011. Apparently most beer glasses were made in France ...

eastdyke

Established Member
Some of the pilots of the Polish Air Force based in Britain performed notable heroics when taking on the Luftwaffe in the Second World War.
Indeed, a perhaps small but very significant part of our actions.
The Polish Air Force has a permanent memorial and reminder in Newark Town Cemetery:

1631577258720.png
It is worthy of a visit and some quiet reflection should you be passing.

History information​

During the Second World War there were a number of R.A.F. stations within a few miles of Newark, from many of which operated squadrons of the Polish Air Force. A special plot was set aside in Newark Cemetery for R.A.F. burials and this is now the war graves plot, where all but ten of the 90 Commonwealth and all of the 397 Polish burials were made. The cemetery also contains 49 scattered burials of the First World War. A memorial cross to the Polish airmen buried here was erected in the plot and was unveiled in 1941 by President Raczkiewicz, ex-President of the Polish Republic and head of the war time Polish Government in London, supported by General Sikorski, Commander-in-Chief of the Polish Forces and war time Polish Prime Minister. When both men subsequently died, General Sikorski in 1943 and President Raczkiewicz in 1947, they were buried at the foot of the Polish Memorial. General Sikorski's remains were returned to Poland in 1993, but there is still a memorial to him at Newark.

Beemax

A quick check on Wikipedia indicates that the CE mark was a requirement of Directive 2004/22/EC.
I have a crown glass dated 2004, and CE glasses dated 2011. Apparently most beer glasses were made in France ...
But there was nothing ever to stop a decorative crown marking being added as well.

class ep-09

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm fairly certain that I've seen crowns on pint glasses fairly recently. I don't think this is as big an issue as the likes of the Express are making out, but then again... oh, why am I even bothering to discuss that awful rag?!

To be honest, I don't care what's printed on my pint glass provided there's something in it!

Apparently there was never any ruling to say they weren't allowed the crown, rather that the glasses were bought (clearly in bulk - pubs must go through them quite quickly) from Europe and it was likely pointless asking for the crown to be added on. Why not? Because until the Express mentioned it, I doubt anyone cared. Now it has been mentioned, the most rabid Brexiteers can pretend it meant everything to them, just as I remember growing up and having to listen to daily rants about the colour of our passports.

I've only watched a bit of GB News but there's no news and all it seems to do is spend every day going over the same limited number of topics to remind people what to be angry about! Meghan Markle seems to feature an awful lot, yet she's another person I doubt anyone would care about either way day to day if it wasn't constantly rammed down their throat.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Apparently there was never any ruling to say they weren't allowed the crown, rather that the glasses were bought (clearly in bulk - pubs must go through them quite quickly) from Europe and it was likely pointless asking for the crown to be added on. Why not? Because until the Express mentioned it, I doubt anyone cared. Now it has been mentioned, the most rapid Brexiteers can pretend it meant everything to them, just as I remember growing up and having to listen to daily rants about the colour of our passports.
How fast do "rapid" Brexiteers move?

brad465

Established Member
M&S are closing their 11 French stores and have specifically said Brexit is to blame:

Marks & Spencer has said it is closing 11 of its French stores because of problems supplying them with fresh and chilled foods since Brexit.
The UK retail giant said all 11 franchise stores it operated with partner SFH in France would shut by the end of this year.
M&S said supply chain problems since Brexit had made it "near impossible" to maintain standards of food supply.
Nine M&S stores run at French travel hubs will continue to operate.
"M&S has a long history of serving customers in France and this is not a decision we or our partner SFH have taken lightly," said Paul Friston, M&S managing director of international.
"However, as things stand today, the supply chain complexities in place following the UK's exit from the European Union now make it near impossible for us to serve fresh and chilled products to customers to the high standards they expect, resulting in an ongoing impact to the performance of our business.
"With no workable alternative for the High Street stores, we have agreed with SFH to close all 11 franchised stores."
Its French online operation, which sells mainly clothing and home products, will not be affected by the closures.

alex397

Established Member
M&S are closing their 11 French stores and have specifically said Brexit is to blame:

Will be interesting to see what will happen to their other stores abroad. I believe they also have stores in Prague and in Malta at least.

The Brexiteers will either blame the EU for this, or talk about how Brexit will be difficult at first but we’ll eventually get the benefits in half a century or whatever.

Well at least we are getting crowns printed on our pint glasses again.

johncrossley

Established Member
Why aren't Brexiteers getting any blame for the continuing travel restrictions endured by UK residents? Despite the UK being quick to get vaccinated, there are still several EU countries that we can't visit without quarantine even if we get tested.

Brexiteers said Brexit wouldn't affect travelling in Europe.

ABB125

Established Member
Why aren't Brexiteers getting any blame for the continuing travel restrictions endured by UK residents? Despite the UK being quick to get vaccinated, there are still several EU countries that we can't visit without quarantine even if we get tested.

Brexiteers said Brexit wouldn't affect travelling in Europe.
Isn't that more to do with coronavirus than Brexit?

JamesT

Established Member
Nope, because if the UK was still in the EU we would have the EU Covid app and so we be able to go anywhere in the EU without quarantine or testing.

Health is still a reserved matter. Although EU states have opened up to those with the app, there's no obligation on them to do so.
The UK has applied to link our data to be able to use the EU app, in the same way that many other non-EU countries like Switzerland have. It just seems to be taking longer than expected.

johncrossley

Established Member
Health is still a reserved matter. Although EU states have opened up to those with the app, there's no obligation on them to do so.

There's no obligation, but what would be the likelihood of the UK being so disadvantaged if was still in the EU? For example, the Netherlands has separate rules for EU/Schengen and others.