• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton - Banbury 4-6 June cheapest fare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Can anyone recommend any splits or advances for a cheap Brighton to Banbury return. Outward on evening 4 June returning evening 6 June. 26-30 railcard held.

Trying to undercut the £33.30 Super Off Peak Return fare.

Thanks so much guys.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nunners

Can anyone recommend any splits or advances for a cheap Brighton to Banbury return. Outward on evening 4 June returning evening 6 June. 26-30 railcard held.

Thanks so much guys.
I don't think it's possible do without advances.
For the Sunday, Chiltern hasn't released advances yet and I don't think Southern is doing any as there's engineering works around Victoria so everything's diverted to London Bridge.

I've done a search for a one-way journey on the 4th June and have come up with:
Hove (I assume that would be ok?) to Victoria advance single £3.30 (most direct trains have this available). Oyster to Marylebone £2.40. Marylebone to Banbury Advance £4.20 (21:43 Marylebone to High Wycombe 22:30, 22:34 High Wycombe to Banbury 23:11).
This comes to £9.90.

For the way back, I would buy an advance from Banbury to Marylebone when they are release (don't know when).
I would do Oyster across London (£2.40) and then buy a London Thameslink to Brighton Super Off-Peak Single for £8.60.
As long as you can do Banbury to London for under £12.40 you're saving money.

I hope this helps.
If it wasn't for those Southern engineering works it would be at least £5 cheaper!

Wolfie

Established Member
I don't think it's possible do without advances.
For the Sunday, Chiltern hasn't released advances yet and I don't think Southern is doing any as there's engineering works around Victoria so everything's diverted to London Bridge.

I've done a search for a one-way journey on the 4th June and have come up with:
Hove (I assume that would be ok?) to Victoria advance single £3.30 (most direct trains have this available). Oyster to Marylebone £2.40. Marylebone to Banbury Advance £4.20 (21:43 Marylebone to High Wycombe 22:30, 22:34 High Wycombe to Banbury 23:11).
This comes to £9.90.

For the way back, I would buy an advance from Banbury to Marylebone when they are release (don't know when).
I would do Oyster across London (£2.40) and then buy a London Thameslink to Brighton Super Off-Peak Single for £8.60.
As long as you can do Banbury to London for under £12.40 you're saving money.

I hope this helps.
If it wasn't for those Southern engineering works it would be at least £5 cheaper!
Could, if you have a Railcard that you could get added to your Oyster and are travelling off-peak, get the cross-London fare down a bit....

gray1404

Established Member
Decided to opt for the Super Off Peak Return. Gives the flexability all round. Thanks so much.

Wolfie

Established Member
Decided to opt for the Super Off Peak Return. Gives the flexability all round. Thanks so much.
If the cost is competitive and it potentially offers more protection that seems a no-brainer.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
W

Thanks so much guys.
What have you found so far?
Have you tried Trainsplit?

gray1404

Established Member
W

What have you found so far?
Have you tried Trainsplit?

Trainsplit offered the Super Off Peak Return so I ended up booking this. On a non engineering works weekend I reckon it would have been possible to save about £10 with Brighton to London Zone 1 and London Marylebone to Banbury Advances.

Status
Not open for further replies.